Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wood for smoking.  (Read 9001 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone here heard of using oak or black walnut for smoking wood? Last week at von Hanson's they had that in Chips for smoking??? Never heard of it before.

I used apple pellets for smoking cheese. I've used mesquite and a few others but my favorite wood is hickory.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve heard of oak, but not black walnut? I use hickory, apple, pecan, and cherry. I also have mesquite, but never use it.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
black walnut isn't for smoking from what I have heard..  way too strong I think...  oak yes  and mesquite I like... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Walnut and oak???   :puke:

Phew.  I feel better now.  Way to strong for my taste.

I stick with Mesquite, Hickory, Apple, or Alder.  Mesquite and hickory if I want stronger smoke.  Apple and alder if I want sweet and/or mild.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
How is maple for smoking? One that I have used that most don't think of is popple. I will throw that in a charcoal grill a lot of times. Good wood for a camp fire to do pork chops over too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yes maple is good for smoking too... 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Out west where they catch a lot of salmon they use alder to smoke with which is basically popple

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I generally use a cometition blend of pellets, but if i use chips its apple or alder
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One year I had a lot of ash for firewood.  I tried smoking with it.  It smoked real good but not a good flavor.  Just smelled smoky. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I've used maple in the past. But as far as cooking over an outdoor pit I sure like ash maple and oak. Sometimes it's tough to beat it if the wind isn't to strong.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, that is true...  I have cooked "Caveman Steaks" directly on oak coals. 

Still, probably not oak in the smomer.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never tried that... 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks wonderful Steve o, and a perfect char fer Glenn.  I might just hafta try that.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
but he likes it well done!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Glenn_S

• Outdoorsman
Here you go!

Smoking Woods for your reference:

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some people say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. I don't know if I get the flavor of bacon from this wood, but it does taste like BBQ to me. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning. Can be bitter. My family doesn't like it if I use only mesquite in the fire. They feel it makes the food "hot" and "spicy."

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CYPRESS, etc.
"I hope we have once again reminded people, that man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts." ~Ronald Reagan

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Amazing that he had to cook that so long right on the coals like that.  Sure looked good when he cut into it.