Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Grandpa comes through again  (Read 1842 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I took my 16-year-old grandson deer hunting. Like I mentioned before, he is a pretty well-seasoned hunter for being just 16 years old. He has been hunting since he was 10 years old.  He couldn't go until the afternoon, but we got to the land and setup shortly after 3:00 PM.  By 4 PM there were three deer feeding in the turnips in front of us. Two does and a fawn. We watched them for 10-15 minutes and he decided to shoot the biggest doe. She only went 30 yards. After some pictures and with a little help from me, he had the doe gutted.  We returned to the blind and by 5 PM deer were once again entering the field. We, mostly his decision, decided not to shoot another doe, but just watch to see if a big buck shows up to check them out. One small buck came, but he wasn't too interested in the does and just started eating turnips. By sundown we had seen another 9-10 deer pass by but no mister big.  We decided to sleep in this morning and then skin and quarter the deer. She tipped my scale at 140 pounds dressed. While having coffee three does and two fawns came out near the cabin to feed. We left them alone hoping a big buck would wander by. No such luck. After skinning and quartering the deer, we headed home where my wife and I gave him a deer cutting/wrapping lesson. 

Evan with doe where she dropped.

Deer feeding in front of cabin

Getting good use of meat pole.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice big doe. Congrats!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Good job. Good learning situation.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a big doe. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Since DE already started the thread I will add to it.
The Granddaughter scored this morning just after 8. Like LPS said it was a calm morning. It felt like the deer should be on the move. Nice little buck for her.

Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dats great!!!    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool as heck.  Congrats to both of you.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice! Great for both of you.