Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Porketta  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
SuperOne in Virginia vs Eveleth Market?

Stopped by Eveleth and also picked up a beefketta and turketta this year.

Can’t wait to try. Only thing I forgot was my Dave’s pizza’s. I guess I’ll have to make another trip to the range sooner than later. Since the grandparents passed away, I don’t make it up that way much anymore.

Good times.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve had Super One’s porketta from Grand Rapids snd Hibbing but not Virginia.  If you’re recommending it, Pulleye, I’ll pick one up next time I get to Eveleth.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Frabonnies out of Hibbing makes a great porketta!!!   Just got 3 roasts a couple weeks ago and had one already...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I’ve had Super One’s porketta from Grand Rapids snd Hibbing but not Virginia.  If you’re recommending it, Pulleye, I’ll pick one up next time I get to Eveleth.

I'm cooking them for a work party on Friday (one pork and one beef) so I'll let you next week.  One mistake i did in the past at SuperOne was mistakenly buying the "lean" porketta...big no for me. lol

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm cooking them for a work party on Friday (one pork and one beef) so I'll let you next week.  One mistake i did in the past at SuperOne was mistakenly buying the "lean" porketta...big no for me. lol

how were they!!!   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had one many years ago and liked it.  Will have to pick up another one sometime.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm wondering on the beef one.. have not seen that before...

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
All depends on what you mean when you say Porketta.  Porketta is basically Italian seasonings on a pork roast, right?  I found a few variants.

I've had my butcher make me a double-pork loin roast - tied together - with Porketta (Italian) seasoning.  That was pretty good on a rotisserie grill.

I googled a couple of recipes, and one of them called for a rolled pork shoulder roast with a layer of fat, tied up round-rotisserie style, and seasoned with all the spices.  This would probably be better still because pork loin roast often lacks flavor because of the low fat content.  Doing a shoulder roast would improve that.

Finally, I saw that you can make Porketta or Porchetta by rolling pork belly (even MORE fat) into a tied rotisserie roast and season.  After seeing this, I think I'm going to have to have to stop by and have another talk with my butcher.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have only had the shoulder roasts...  have seen the others.. don't think I could do a belly...   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm wanna try both beef and the pork. Thinking of the belly tho, the ones Costco sells are thick, can't imagine trying to roll that up unless it was sliced again. Gonna hafta Google meat shops here, Von Hanson is close but im sure they be spendy.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
when some one finds the beef one it will be interesting and where!!!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Eveleth Market has beef...and the coworkers loved it. Some said it was better than the pork...but what do they know  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :rotflmao:

Regarding porketta's...I've never tasted one as good as they make on the range (Virginia and Eveleth). Anywhere down in the cities it taste like crap.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do they make lamb porkettas?  :scratch: J/K...this porketta thing is a new one on me. Even tho we raised pigs up until I was maybe 5 or 6, I don't recall any porketta. Not sure what they did with the cut they used to make it. With the lambs, we used to have the shoulders boned and rolled which is kinda what the porketta thing looks like. I did shoulders that way too when we started the flock up here in '87. Made it into shish kabobs until I found it was easier to grind it up for lamburger. The wife enjoys burger a lot more than the roasts & it's less work than shish kabobs.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So the Mrs picked up this thing at Costco,  says it's rolled up with lots of different seasonings.  Similar to a porketta? Wants me to cook it in tge oven, but I'm thinking Traeger, thoughts?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting.  Curious to hear how you liked it.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
There are two different porkettas.     The one like they make in Italy, and the one that evolved on da range here in Minnesota that nobody in the rest of the country has heard of.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
So the Mrs picked up this thing at Costco,  says it's rolled up with lots of different seasonings.  Similar to a porketta? Wants me to cook it in tge oven, but I'm thinking Traeger, thoughts?

I guess the seasonings will be the big thing...   but smoke it with bacon!!!   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Turned out really good, must have been perty lean like mentioned above, even bacon wrapped wasn't much for drippage.  Again the package wanted it heated at 500 in tge oven then drop it down like a beef prime , but I set the Traeger at 350 and let her buck. Pulled at 150 for a 15 min rest.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
look great Bobber!!!  left overs too!!!!  so what was the seasoning flavor besides bacon???   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The package listed quite a bit but what I remember is Rosemary,, Oregano and Garlic.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I wish that was in my frig for leftovers.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I wish that was in my frig for leftovers.   :happy1: :happy1:

2nd that!!!!   

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Dang, that looks amazing!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It really looks great! 👍 Hope you put in some extra roadwork boober...:whistling:
« Last Edit: March 03/05/23, 09:50:09 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)