Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Another hard starter  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Good morning,

I did not want to hi jack the other Hard Starting sled thread.  So I have a 1997 Ski Doo Grand Touring.  In warm weather or in a warm shop that thing will start on 2-3 pulls.   Set it outside in the cold weather and you pull until your arm falls off and then pull some more.  Once it starts runs great!!   

Any ideas?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Are you priming it enough?  Takes a few pumps just to get the gas going.  So may take 5 or 6 pumps.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes priming plenty.  Even replaced that primer to be sure it works.  Cleaned carbs.    I have had this sled since new and this is a new (started acting up last winter) issue.  Took to it to two shops.  Starts right up in their shops but the minute it sits out side in the cold she will not start easy. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't your GT have electric start?
The next time you try it out in the cold. Pull the plugs and see if their wet or dry. If their wet, try with one pump when you get the air out and can feel it prime. If no start. Pull the plugs, if dry go to two pumps and so on. It's a lot of hassle but your trying to find that sweet spot she likes. I've had 3 Skidoos and everyone had its sweet spot for priming. One of them, only like a few pumps and one to many she would flood, causing a really long hassle of pulling and drying plugs, pulling it over without the plugs to dump gas then do it all over again. Sucks when your in the middle of no where!
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
It does have electric start but it runs the battery down before it starts so you end up pulling it.   As for the plugs I have tried and they are wet....next time they are dry.  That sled was always a three prime, starts and dies or if you are quick half a shot.  If not one more pump and she is good to go.   Not any more.   Stator cracked maybe?