Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 43099 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
with the lack of rain today i pulled my Jalepeno peppers. i got more than i need vacum packed and frozw what i had, i'll give  them to one of the secretaries at the union hall. she uses them up no problem.......less to water!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got done pulling those 6 wild parsnips.  Put them in two plastic bags and then in a box.  I told the wife it is safe to eat the parsnip root but she said no way.  LOL 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Our garden got raided while we were gone, good. The bil took another pile of beans, cukes, zookini and whatever tomatoes looked ready along with some bell peppers. The banana peppers turned red but I just canned 2 qts anyhow,  should still be the same.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked beans Saturday morning ahead of the rain. Sucks when they get muddy. Got them cleaned up & froze some of the picking from the week before. Giving away quite a few too. Always seems to be friends & neighbors whose patch came up poorly, got eaten off or isn't ready yet. Beans should really come on now with the rain. Should've been about ideal for the fall radishes & peas I planted Thursday nite. The rain should help in the watering dept. too. Cukes were struggling in the small bed close to the house. Flowering like mad but too many trees pulling on the moisture supply there so they were requiring almost daily watering. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Seeing a few of the radishes I planted last Thursday nite poking through. Picked a couple gallon bags of beans nite before last and last nite picked another one. Since it rained and the heat let up they're very nice. Been able to give enough away so I can freeze a larger batch this weekend & get caught up. Some 'maters I should pick too. Have some Berkshire bacon I got from my Studebaker mechanic calling my name. Sweet corn continues to pollinate. Be ready when I'm back from Crop Tour. There's a 2nd planting too so the raccoons should eat well most of September. Sheep bored a hole in a pumpkin on their side of the pasture fence last nite. Hard to say because they're under the vine canopy but thinking there are a bunch of pumpkins on our side of the fence too.   
« Last Edit: August 08/10/23, 09:57:55 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I'm sure glad that my pal  :sleazy: Roony talked me off the cliff last week!!! :rotflmao: I'm actually seeing decent results with my cukes now!! :happy1:

So no garden plants will be harmed in the near future. :surrender: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked string beans, zucchini, tomatoes and sweet corn last nite. Might be the last picking on the Tendergreen beans so will have glenn come and pull them out. Actually I may pull them out, toss them over to the sheep & and plant some greens there. My fall radish planting has been a disappointment & none of the peas came up. Oh well, saves time harvesting them. Think we'll have plenty of vine crops to harvest as it is. There's one big honkin' pumpkin I can see and more I can't. Gourds are all crawling over the place including some places I'd just as soon they hadn't. Sweet corn I picked was awesome. Pretty young but tasty. Hadn't planted Jackpot for a few years. 1st planting was a little erratic emerging but filled in so there will be corn in that patch for a while. The 2nd planting came up more uniformly and that's just starting to tassel. Have eaten mostly Jet Star tomatoes so far. Excellent with coleslaw or cottage cheese. Still need to find enough time to manufacture BLT's.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: how soon you forget Dotch..........roony saved me!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/17/23, 02:11:19 PM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: you swwn to forget Dotch..........roony saved me!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

more boaranse!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know! I think they could be brothers... :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea he's like a bad hemorrhoid that keeps coming back  :confused: :pouty: :rotflmao:

:pouty: better!?? :sleazy:
« Last Edit: August 08/17/23, 02:11:50 PM by glenn57 »

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      OK. I read that a chipotle pepper is just a jalapeno pepper that has turned red and been smoked. Wish I could remember where I read it that.
      Anybody else hear this?
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      OK. I read that a chipotle pepper is just a jalapeno pepper that has turned red and been smoked. Wish I could remember where I read it that.
      Anybody else hear this?
nope. :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just some of the many lucky tiger maters I got. So sweet and oh so good.

Not to be confused with a lucky cougar!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
      Anybody else hear this?

After exhausting, extensive research (a Google search), that appears to be the case.  :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      Anybody else hear this?

After exhausting, extensive research (a Google search), that appears to be the case.  :cool:
such a wise man.  :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Post office is closed. :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm about to get run over by excess tomatoes. I didn't pick them for two day and last night I picked some of the ripe ones.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
asparagus question.........i know when your done picking it for the year, your supposed to let it grow as its supposed to get it ready for winter and upcoming season. i have 1 cluster here at home. it never produced the little berries it usually does.

i want to cut them off as there getting to be a pain..........anyone know if its ok?????? that stuff grows like i weed so i really dont think it will affect it much????

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you are supposed to leave them until they dry out, then ya can cut them as they are dormant then...   that was the way we were taught...    here ya are:

https://www.google.com/search?q=when+can+asparagus+be+cut+down&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS920US920&oq=when+can+aspa&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i512l5j0i22i30l4.572060433j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: August 08/20/23, 10:37:14 AM by mike89 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Mike!!!!! :happy1: i thought so. think i'll stake them up and tied them up so there not all over the place!!!!!! :doofus:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Mike!!!!! :happy1: i thought so. think i'll stake them up and tied them up so there not all over the place!!!!!! :doofus:

:happy1: :happy1:

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Correct....let them dry out first. Need foliage for roots to make spears next year.
I leave mine in over winter to collect snow to prevent winter kill.

Mine sprawl also. I put stakes on the ends then electric wire between stakes to keep the roped in and upright.
« Last Edit: August 08/20/23, 12:31:22 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We really like our own cukes out of the garden.  Our plants look good but our yield is low.  Here is a pic of our plants. 

« Last Edit: August 08/22/23, 08:00:18 AM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
what plant is that big whitish thing???? :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

anyone else see that peace on the #4 about a week ago regarding garden plants and seeds????

seems there is alot of mislabeled plants and seed packets this year. i did not run into this but reading and hearing about it. they dont know if it is mislabeling plants at the greenhouse or seed packets. and apparently there are only 4 major seed outfits around????

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours were all good.  Whilst I mowed the wife pulled the cukes, beans and lettuce.  Cooper was eating all of the cukes anyhow.  His breath smelled like cukes too.  That was a plus but we didn't get to eat as many. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours were all good.  Whilst I mowed the wife pulled the cukes, beans and lettuce.  Cooper was eating all of the cukes anyhow.  His breath smelled like cukes too.  That was a plus but we didn't get to eat as many.
Glenn led you down the wrong path.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Yes he did.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I might just take a page otta his book also, getting tired of making pickles, besides the trellis has really slowed down,  might as well clip em . I do have a over grown bush plant that's still kicking them out if need be. While Glenn I mean me is at it might as well grab the remaining 4 zookini and kick those plants curbside also.  See what you created Glenn!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Soon there will be people all over the state drinking Glenn's kool-aid and destroying their gardens.