Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 43166 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks great Dotch! We drive by lots o places lately that are selling wagon full of stuff like that,  happy selling!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so Dotch where does all that good stuff end up!!!!  I know you give stuff away to lots of good folks...   but how much do you keep for your selfs???   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A large share is given away as you said. We decorate the yard with a portion of the pumpkins and gourds, maybe a quarter to a third. That includes what the Mrs. uses to decorate the inside of the house with. She has an outlet thru the floral shop in Albert Lea as well. I was in contact with Auntie Mar Mar earlier. Her 100 year old decorated WWII veteran friend will take 10 buttercup squash. He absolutely loves them & he'll get the best of the best. We need to take him for a ride in the Studebaker before we can't while we're at it. After I'm sure that friends and neighbors have what they want, I'll see if the guy I was working with on the corn binder project wants some of it to sell online. Once the decorative stuff runs its course after Thanksgiving, over the pasture fence it goes. Sheep party down! We'll freeze 8 - 12 squash and probably eat that many fresh. Keeps forever in the freezer. Ate some from 2 years ago recently that tasted just as good as the day we froze it. Picked 8 decent cukes off the vines this afternoon. Left a couple to see if they'll get a little bigger yet. After it freezes tomorrow nite, glenn can pull them up!   😉 
« Last Edit: October 10/07/23, 06:10:00 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
A large share is given away as you said. We decorate the yard with a portion of the pumpkins and gourds, maybe a quarter to a third. That includes what the Mrs. uses to decorate the inside of the house with. She has an outlet thru the floral shop in Albert Lea as well. I was in contact with Auntie Mar Mar earlier. Her 100 year old decorated WWII veteran friend will take 10 buttercup squash. He absolutely loves them & he'll get the best of the best. We need to take him for a ride in the Studebaker before we can't while we're at it. After I'm sure that friends and neighbors have what they want, I'll see if the guy I was working with on the corn binder project wants some of it to sell online. Once the decorative stuff runs its course after Thanksgiving, over the pasture fence it goes. Sheep party down! We'll freeze 8 - 12 squash and probably eat that many fresh. Keeps forever in the freezer. Ate some from 2 years ago recently that tasted just as good as the day we froze it. Picked 8 decent cukes off the vines this afternoon. Left a couple to see if they'll get a little bigger yet. After it freezes tomorrow nite, glenn can pull them up!   😉

that is so great!!!   really like the old Vet getting some too!!!!    :clap: :Clap: :USA:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Years ago when we were young bachelors and friend from Clark SD showed me how they took a small pumpkin and cut it in half. Sit each half in a oven proof bowl.   Took seeds out.  Mixed up a lb of ground pork or beef and mixed in onions, peppers, what ever you like and make a baseball and put it in the pumpkin.  Half of the ball sticking out.  Cover it with maple syrup and butter. Put in oven and bake it.  Absolutely one of my favorite squash meals. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Still kicking out tomatoes  :confused:

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked these last nite before Jack Frost got a crack at them. Have to see how many maters might be worth salvaging...🤔

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked the last tomatoes and peppers of the season. The garden didn't freeze this morning.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had frost this morning.  I did not cover the tomatoes.  There are some red ones too.  I wonder if they froze?  How long does it take to tell?

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Supposed to get down to the 20's tonight. I still have Caul. and Broc covered up. Should be OK.

Looks like the entire northern half of Minn has a freeze warning out tonighy.
« Last Edit: October 10/09/23, 05:21:49 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
We had frost this morning.  I did not cover the tomatoes.  There are some red ones too.  I wonder if they froze?  How long does it take to tell?
my guess in 2 days. You might even be able to tell already .

The #4 said the end of the growing season will end Friday, even in the big city .
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Supposed to get down to the 20's tonight. I still have Caul. and Broc covered up. Should be OK.

Looks like the entire northern half of Minn has a freeze warning out tonighy.
AccuWeather has 30 ad weather channel has 35 for the cabin area?? :scratch: :scratch:

Kinda in a low area so it's always colder then the forecast says..
« Last Edit: October 10/09/23, 05:26:29 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Predicting 31 for a low in Owatonna & Albert's Leaf tonite. 32 for Waseca. Didn't appear to have frozen any of the tomatoes so I picked the best looking ones without cracks or insect damage, including some that were just starting to blush. That should keep us in fresh tomatoes until we're thoroughly tired of them. Speaking of that, I found string beans that were still edible in the Blue Lake variety. I refuse to pick any more string beans for this year altho they were pretty tasty raw... :doah:

If it's a hard freeze usually you can start to see the water-soaked discoloration appear on the fruit where it got kissed by the frost by the afternoon when temps warm up. All the tomatoes here are on the south side of the house where they would've been sheltered although on the north side where it's more open, cannas and planters containing things like impatiens, begonias, coleus, etc., escaped relatively unscathed. Roof was white as was the grass in the pasture and road ditch. Had to scrape the pickup windshield this a.m. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Today I made what probably will be the last forage in my 2023 gardens.
I was surprised to get what I did. Not sure how the gourd escaped being picked a few weeks ago.
There are still some green tomatoes, but they may not ripen.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Them gourds are sneaky devils deadeye. The thing I fear is stepping on one we missed covered by vegetation. :doah:

Wife sent me out to pick 4 o'clocks yesterday during the rain before the wind beat the snot out if them. They were for someone's funeral on Saturday. There were still a few flowering but I wasn't optimistic I'd find enough. Had also never seen or heard of them being used as part of arrangement so fully expected they'd look like crap after I stuck them in the vase. 1st pic taken shortly after cutting & 2nd was about 8 hours later. Pleasantly surprised & the wife was happy. Pretty sure the dead person won't care. :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Very nice Dotch. Mums, morning glories, and some other flowers are still going strong but most have shut down for the year. Not looking forward to digging the cannas. This year some over 10 feet tall.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife was out cuttin flowers too before the rain, wind, and cold ruined what was left.  She gets cheap grocery store bouquets for the filler and a bit of variety.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I didn't know you have an artsy wife. Cool

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Our wives must never meet Steve-O... :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'll see your flowers and raise a few more :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A sampling of fall decorating at the ranch. Made 30 - 35 cornstalk bundles after chores & breakfast. Got the shock built before noon. To be on the safe side, there's a steel post in the middle of that bad boy. It was probably built well enough so it would've stood on its own but no fun remanufacturing when the wind blows them down. Poppy photobombed the back porch. See what I mean Steve-O? I think there are gourds & pumpkins decorating the bed!  :scratch:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow, that's some fancy decorating. Even got a couple pictures of your girl friends.  :sleazy:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Dotch, you take decorations serious. My idea of decorations is to spread leaves all over the lawn.
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      Dotch, you take decorations serious. My idea of decorations is to spread leaves all over the lawn.
Yea,  :scratch: iffin I was a bettin man, I'd wager it isn't Dotch!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea,  :scratch: iffin I was a bettin man, I'd wager it isn't Dotch!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

OR his boss made him do it. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Postal rates are out of control up here in the Great White North... :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Postal rates are out of control up here in the Great White North... :doah:
hey dotch....did you bring your corgi with to the great white north?????? :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Poppy stayed stateside this trip. Looks like it would be pretty easy to bring her along though, almost easier than for a human especially when they were dicking around having their COVID protocol pissing match.  :rolleyes:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dug the cannas today. I was at the land since Wednesday, just returned yesterday afternoon. This morning I helped put out our Chapter MDHA hide boxes. With the rain coming in I figured I better get the bulbs dug and put up for the winter before the garden turns to mud.
Arms are tired. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wish my cannas were dug but I was on a mission. And some are still flowering  💐 Anyway, took a cruise around the yard this afternoon as I'm thinking with weather setting in, this might be about the best we'll get for color.

« Last Edit: October 10/25/23, 03:18:38 PM by Dotch »