Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: vacum sealers  (Read 2709 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i got me a foodsaver vacuum packer/sealer.

trying to vacuum pack the smoked fish from yesterday, the sealer seems to suck all the air out of it, but when the light comes on and keep running. it literally melts the bag and wont shut off. it appears its sealed, but.......

is it toast??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
any adjustments that can be made?? 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
any adjustments that can be made??
nope other than the dumpster as far as I can see. :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I ended up getting a cabelas brand, it's made by food saver..   used my points so my cost was zero... 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked at Runnings site, they got an LEM I'm liking.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, as soon as it seems vaccumed enough hit the seal button and it will stop at that point and seal it.  That's what I do now instead of letting it run so long.  Saves on the machine.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, as soon as it seems vaccumed enough hit the seal button and it will stop at that point and seal it.  That's what I do now instead of letting it run so long.  Saves on the machine.
LPS......this is a one button does all thing. once it has all the air sucked out a lite comes on and when its supposedly done it auto shuts off. it woont shut off.

i've used it enough that it makes differnt sounds in the process.......... generally i can tell about when its done but after all that trouble i want one that i know will for sure seal.....and bags are spendy. i will be going to Runnings tomorrow and i will be home with a new slicer and vacuum packer!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We go through rolls of bags like it's paper towels.  I buy them 10 at a time.  You know where.  We have a Food Saver.  The one they had on TV.  Have had it for 10 years or more.  Still hanging in there but it is making a different sound too so it's time may be getting close.  So how do you seal the ends of the bags without a seal button?  Do you buy premade bags instead of rolls?  I bet that is expensive.  The 11" wide rolls are the only way to go.
« Last Edit: March 03/18/23, 04:28:38 PM by LPS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We also have the food saver, like Glenn mentioned you can tell by the sound and suction if it's going to work.  If not I'll hit cancel and do it again and not let it go as long as you do.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've found pulling a little on the bag helps, instead of it just hanging.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've bought both, but I generally get the rolls. I can cut them to the length I want and the one I have will just seal one end to.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So you do have a seal button?  Mine is hit one button and it will do it all too but there is also a SEAL button.  We use that to seal the first end of the bag. 
« Last Edit: March 03/18/23, 04:51:53 PM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope it just one button

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hit it twice and it may seal.  Did your wife read the directions to you?    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It is always fun getting new stuff too. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I looked at vacuum sealer ratings. The Nesco VS-12 was rated number 1 or 2 in almost every ratings. It has a double seal. That was the main selling point for me.

All the Food Savers I've had would lose their vacuum in the freezer. This one doesn't. You can put the roll inside and has a bag cutter. Also can be set for a single seal if you want for things like chip bags.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Killed 2 birds with 1 trip to Runnings! :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Holy hell! Wat ya gona do with those wen yu dont know how to cook
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Holy hell! Wat ya gona do with those wen yu dont know how to cook
oh I can cook. I didn't get this figure from dieting!! :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll bet the moths were happy to get some fresh air finally when ya opened the wallet up!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll bet the moths were happy to get some fresh air finally when ya opened the wallet up!!!
:mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :surrender: I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention!! :scratch: :cry: :shocked:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :surrender: I'm so broke I can't even afford to pay attention!! :scratch: :cry: :shocked:

yea Sue told me that!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

yea Sue told me that!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
the broke part or I don't pay attention!!🤔 :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I ended up getting a cabelas brand, it's made by food saver..   used my points so my cost was zero...
How do you like the Cabela's one. Which one do you have?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked at vacuum sealer ratings. The Nesco VS-12 was rated number 1 or 2 in almost every ratings. It has a double seal. That was the main selling point for me.

All the Food Savers I've had would lose their vacuum in the freezer. This one doesn't. You can put the roll inside and has a bag cutter. Also can be set for a single seal if you want for things like chip bags.
How long have you had it Ken? We are looking for a new one and this sounds interesting.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One thing I do is just to look at the seal line.  If you see a line across it it probably didn't really seal.  Then I just do another seal and that always seems to work.  That double seal one sounds nice.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

How long have you had it Ken? We are looking for a new one and this sounds interesting.

About a month. Used it for fish, jerky, chicken, and sausage. Seals seem to be holding well. I had to reseal some fish that were sealed using a Foodsaver. The seal didn't hold. I think the double seal works better.
« Last Edit: March 03/19/23, 08:03:38 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
How do you like the Cabela's one. Which one do you have?

I like it!!!  had it about a year now and no issues...   I got the commercial grade one, has the roll in and a cutter on it too..  the one Ken is talking about looks good too.. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks fellers!  :happy1:

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
For anyone who does a lot of vacuum sealing take a look at the chamber sealers.   I know the initial cost is high but you will save it in bag cost very quickly.    I just picked up 1500 bags today 3 sizes with ziplock) for $108.00.  These are 4 mil bags. 

The chamber sealer also allows you to package liquids.  Great for soups or freezing fish in water.  Also works for marinades.