Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First day on the water for the year.  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I had the oppurtunity to jump in the boat to chase some lakers yesterday.  We found them all over between 45' of water and 145' of water.  They seemed to be chasing the smelt and were all over in the water collumn.   Some were suspended and some were locked to the bottom.  There is nothing that compares to the fight you get from a laker.   We kept 5 that are heading for the smoker but we also released several large ones and lost several as well.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice! My only experience with Lakers was in the BWCA.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: awesome!!!

the guy from Grand Rapids we were supposed to kind of meet up with to hit pokegema tullie fishing was all excited about doing that also!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:doah: my only experience with Lakers are the basketball team from LA!!!!!!! :doah: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
:doah: my only experience with Lakers are the basketball team from LA!!!!!!! :doah: :evil: :rotflmao:
I hope they were gentle with you.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish, what a fun time it sounds.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Those are some beautiful fish! Still on my bucket list to catch. Have a crack at them on the lake where I've been going in Canada but lake trout are more commonly caught there in the winter. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Nice......I love fishing for Lakers up in Canada.....Largest so far is a 41 pounder.

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Guys.   Those things are a blast. We searched them out with the electronics and then strictly jigged them so felt every one of them hit the jig. 

Dotch...I would find them off the steep breaks and jig them with white tube baits.  Just put that jig in their faces and jig them hard.  If you seen them chasing your jig start reeling and don't stop unless that fish does.  If it does drop it back down and jig it some more.  We were using 2oz jigs with 6" tubes. 

Where are you guys fishing up in Canada?  Up until two years ago I had only fished them in Canada and just through the ice. 

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: :happy1: awesome!!!

the guy from Grand Rapids we were supposed to kind of meet up with to hit pokegema tullie fishing was all excited about doing that also!!!!!!

I plan to make several trips up there so we can sure discuss putting something together.   From what I understand they are easier to target starting about June when you can see them better in deeper water.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks fun scenic,  can't go wrong going vertical.. nice job!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks like an awesome time!!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Was this out of 2 Harbors?   Been fishing that area the last few years.  Lakers are a blast. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Was this out of 2 Harbors?   Been fishing that area the last few years.  Lakers are a blast.

Yes it was.  I plan to do a lot more of it this year. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Scenic, when we fish in Canada, we fish in that Flanders area between Fort Frances and Atikokan. The lake my friend's cabin is on has the lake trout. The unfortunate thing is we're usually there in the fall when the season is closed. We've tried it a few times in later July and while you can see them down there about 50' - 90', they haven't been real interested. We're usually trying to use up some of the crawlers, leeches and minnows other parties have left behind. Also drink up some of the beer they leave as we can't bring it back across w/o paying duty. We usually resort to having cocktails and catching smallies off the dock as a result. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotcha   I have been on those trips a few times as well.  Normally closing up the cabin for the year type of trips. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It'll happen someday. Just looking at the SS thing, it's getting closer. Wife is convinced I'm too old to get in much trouble anymore. :scratch:

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of us just get older but never grow up!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Some of us just get older but never grow up!!!
:happy1: :happy1: glad i aint one of them!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: