Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Oh, Hell No!!! Submarine Edition  (Read 2583 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Missing Titanic submarine found, crew killed in deep-sea catastrophe, Coast Guard says

Would any of you guys take a tourist dive to ridiculously deep, dangerous depths?

No?  :confused: Then what would you try if you could?    :scratch:

Skydive?
Bungie jump?
Climb Everest?
Go into space in Elon's rocket ship?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Did skydive once. Submarine proved flex seal ain't what its cracked up to be.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Missing Titanic submarine found, crew killed in deep-sea catastrophe, Coast Guard says

Would any of you guys take a tourist dive to ridiculously deep, dangerous depths?

No?  :confused: Then what would you try if you could?    :scratch:

Skydive?
Bungie jump?
Climb Everest?
Go into space in Elon's rocket ship?
Many years ago, maybe. Not so much anymore. Climbing into a tree stand is still ok.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon, never did...   loved the helicopters when I was in the Marines!!!   fun to fly in!!!!  and I did scuba diving too!!!   along with still riding my bikes...

copied this from else where;

Interestingly, Josh Gates, host of Expedition Unknown, took a ride on this sub and decided against filming a dive to the Titanic because the submarine “didn’t perform well on my dive”. If you’ve watched his show, this guy isn’t afraid of taking highly questionable modes of transportation including some really questionable aircraft on his shows.
« Last Edit: June 06/22/23, 06:52:00 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i flew on planes.......thats as far as i go. now its just the boat, 4 wheeler and snowmobile.

i know.......no sense of adventure!!!!!!! :pouty: trying to figure out boar's boaranze is enough of an adventure!!!!!! :shocked: :super smiley: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'm not to excited about anything that could involve a fiery death.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't let your home explode...   just sayin.... 

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Mike, I’ve done the hot air balloon and it’s pretty cool and didn’t feel threatening at all. It’s amazing how quiet it is. We went over a small herd of deer and they never even twitched. I’d have no problem doing it again.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
You forgot...

None of the Above.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
That was my first thought.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When married to my first wife she bought me a ride on a balloon which were real common there.  I think $100 which was a lot of money back in the 80's.  The guy and her husband got divorced and went bankrupt.  Still took down payments right up to the day they did the legal stuff.  Was on the news how they screwed everyone.  That is the closest balloon ride.  Would like to take a chopper ride.  There was this open cockpit byplane at the airport here right when we moved here.  We paid to go in it.  Unreal.  What a thrill.  He would go right over the trees and even have to go up to avoid them.  But it seemed safe as heck.  The wife and I sat in front and he was behind us so it was a real gas.  Told him were we lived and checked out the whole area at low altitude. 
I too, sub that some dude owns, no way in he77. 
« Last Edit: June 06/22/23, 07:59:08 PM by LPS »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I always wanted to do the Bungie jump. Not sure if I would now. A balloon ride would be fun to do. Or helicopter ride too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Bungie jumping?  I'm afraid the ticker would give out before the cords drew tight.

Otherwise, the only thing close might have been taking the Tower-Sudan mine tour when I was a kid in the early 70s.  We were all packed in that rickety elevator like sardines and dropped a mile deep.

I see the Navy says they heard an implosion less than a couple of hours into the doomed dive, but I don't think they've told us if that was the point when communications with the surface were lost, or if the crew had time to realize that things were going badly.

I'm impressed on how quickly they found the wreckage once they finally got the ROV down there.  You got to believe the sonar they use is REALLY good and they have plenty of maps of what is already down there.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bungee jumping.  LOLOL   No fricking way.  I would watch if any of youse guys want to jump off of one of the bridges that are a mile or two high though.  I agree Steve what a rush that would be.  My ticker may blow up too.  How about those flying type of suits.  Looks fun but not for me. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The crazy thing about those base jumper guys is base jumping isn't enough of a rush.  They say the rush is in how close they can get to the side of the mountain when they are falling.  You hear stories every once in a while about guys who miscalculate and crash.

Same with those guys who free climb cliffs without ropes.  I watched the "Free Solo" documentary on Alex Honnold.  In it they showed him getting his brain studied and they found out he is just wired differently.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have thought about one of those little hang gliders with a snowmobile engine on it.  The wife said no!

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Have to say I have done some crazy things.  I have had a pilots lic since 1998 with ski and float certificates and been in some sticky situations.  Most self inflicted.  I have jumped out of planes, been in racing boats. raced cars and scuba dived.   But no way in hell you are getting me tucked in a sub that I can't get out of. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've done enough things, sober or not, that qualify under the "WTH were you thinking?" category. I see no reason at my age to do more of them on purpose. Some still make my palms sweat just thinking about them.  :scratch:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We went down in the Sudan mine back in 2019. That was cool as heck. My wife and grandson wouldn't go, but the rest of us did. I would love to do it again. But I don't know if they reopened it. I think COVID closed it and then they said something about needing repairs. Ya, Bungie jumping for me know probably not so good. Should have done it 25 years ago. And no way I would go in that little sub either.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to go to the Sudan mine thing too.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we did the mine thing years ago too!!!   was really neat!!!   wife wasn't sure but she did it!!!   been up a few fire towers too!!!   they sway in the wind!!!   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
back in my younger years working for DCI, we where fixing a 60,000 gal tank in Queens NY.  i crawled up the outside in a enclosed ladder to the top. kinda scary but man you could see a long ways even in the smog. felt like you could almost touch the planes overhead!!!! :rotflmao: the ladder did have a cage around it. thik if i remember it was over 100 ft from ground level.

thats the extent of my risk taking!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to go to the Sudan mine thing too.

DNR:  Soudan Underground Mine Tours

Underground mine tours are suspended due to shaft maintenance.

I don't know how long they've been suspended or if/when they will be resumed.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I did the Soudam mine thing with two of my boys years ago. Some of the mine is actually under Lake Vermillion. Still the richest iron ore in the world but it got too costly to get it out of there.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I did the Soudam mine thing with two of my boys years ago. Some of the mine is actually under Lake Vermillion. Still the richest iron ore in the world but it got too costly to get it out of there.
When you took the tour, did they show you all the astrophysics, particle detection experiments they are running down there?

Update:  I guess that neutrino experiment they were running ended in 2016.  As of 2018 (and I don't see any other recent references) they were still looking for science institutions that might want to use the facility.

Work continues to find tenants for Soudan underground lab
« Last Edit: June 06/23/23, 11:04:25 AM by Steve-o »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
did the Mystery cave tour too!!!   

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny how we have so much unique stuff "in our own back yard" and I'll bet most Minnesotans have never heard of it - let alone done it.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny how we have so much unique stuff "in our own back yard" and I'll bet most Minnesotans have never heard of it - let alone done it.

truth in that!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
When you took the tour, did they show you all the astrophysics, particle detection experiments they are running down there?

Update:  I guess that neutrino experiment they were running ended in 2016.  As of 2018 (and I don't see any other recent references) they were still looking for science institutions that might want to use the facility.

Work continues to find tenants for Soudan underground lab
I'm thinking it was in the mid 90s. I don't remember anything about the labs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :shocked: :rotflmao: