Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Yoga for Everyone!  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yoga isn't just for young women anymore and I love teaching people about the benefits of yoga. I've been casually practicing yoga for about 10 years now and I'm not an instructor, just an advocate. A little stretching and twisting is so good for the body and maintaining flexibility is key to healthier aging. Yoga can be as complex as a twisted pretzel, or it can be as simple as bending over to touch your toes/knees/thighs - wherever you feel comfortable reaching.

"The yoga pose is not the goal. Becoming flexible is not the goal. Standing on your hands is not the goal. The goal is serenity. Balance. Truly finding peace in your own skin." ~ Rachel Brathen

Attached is an article with some simple yoga poses. The examples are meant to simply be guides to your yoga practice, not instructions that need to be followed to a T. If you can't bend as far or twist as far as the examples that's totally okay! I'm not able to even get as low as the example in #4 due to my knees not being what they used to be, so I stretch as far as what's comfortable. And that's all that's needed to start seeing the benefits!

One of the simplest ways to incorporate yoga into your life is to use those 2 minutes when you're brushing your teeth to lift a leg onto your bathroom counter and stretch each leg for a minute while you brush. You don't need to set aside any extra time or even use a yoga mat. So simple, yet so affective and it increases your balance. If you're unable to lift a leg safely onto you countertop, start with the toilet (make sure the seat is down! 💦) and work your way up higher over time.

🤗🧘‍♀️🌱

~ Sometimes you must create your own destiny, instead of simply living out your fate. ~

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thank you. 

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for sharing Sharon. I agree I need to stretch more. I was expected to open this thread and have it be more like the Man I gotta go fishing thread.  :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There will be no #4 for me.  That looks like trouble.  LOL  I will do some of these though.  Posture is my problem.  I need to work on that. 

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey I recognize some those ......positions.  sorry, ya we all could use some stretching that's for sure. Even a day of high stepping weeds chasing Roosters I'm sore. The thing is we need to do it daily or it doesn't do diddly. Thanks for sharing Sharon!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hey I recognize some those ......positions.  sorry, ya we all could use some stretching that's for sure. Even a day of high stepping weeds chasing Roosters I'm sore. The thing is we need to do it daily or it doesn't do diddly. Thanks for sharing Sharon!!!
:pouty:pervert!!!!!!!!! :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup have to incorporate it easily into our days to feel better.  If it's not easy it won't get done. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There will be no #4 for me.  That looks like trouble.  LOL  I will do some of these though.  Posture is my problem.  I need to work on that.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: awe come on LPS.......where's your sense of adventure.

yea.i only got so many heartbeats left!!!! :pouty: aint wastin them on no exercise!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking as an old fat fart with an aftermarket knee and an arthritic knee and hip, nope. Thank you but, nope.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Come on guys, she said start with the toilet. That's where most are first thing in the morning anyway!  :bonk: :moon:
« Last Edit: December 12/04/23, 06:33:31 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
LOL yes, start with the toilet! :moon: :rotflmao:

You'll be amazed at how small, seemingly insignificant movements can help your body over time! I've spent a lifetime avoiding leaning on walls and using railings (partly because germs are gross) but also because I believe it will help me keep my balance in better form as I age. I have a tattoo on my foot and was showing it to someone. So I lifted one leg, removed my sock, displayed my tattoo, replaced my sock and then set my foot down all in one free-standing motion. My friend was more impressed by my balanced movement than my tattoo I think!  :doah: :rotflmao:

"If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving." - Martin Luther King Jr.
~ Sometimes you must create your own destiny, instead of simply living out your fate. ~

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Motion is lotion.  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ive been on a shift for 3 years, get up on an average of 3 am. Just recently ive started a 2nd shift from 130 pm to 10. Thanks for posting this sharon, cause that my goal to use yofa and risistance training.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Whelp it's a new year! How's everyone's yoga practice going? 🧘🏻‍♀️🧘🏻

Remember it's better to practice for a few minutes each day, rather than committing one hour once a week. You might not always have time for a long practice, and frankly you might not always feel like it. Finding a few minutes each day takes the pressure off your yoga practice and is a great way to ease into it!

One of my favorite poses is a simple forward fold. Standing with your legs relaxed and your feet about hip width apart, slowly fold forward from your hips, continuing to breathe, as you reach for your toes. Keep your legs as straight as you can but do not lock your knee. You can have a bend in your knees if this is more comfortable. The idea is to stretch out that lower back and let your shoulders, neck, and arms relax as they descend towards the floor. As with any yoga pose, remember to keep breathing! When you're ready to stand up, place your hands on your hips and keep your back flat as you inhale and return to standing position. This helps to strengthen the back muscles and doing this slowly helps prevent getting dizzy as you stand back up.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so Sharon.........does getting up and down about 80 times a morning stocking shelves count as Yoga???? :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn...nevermind....
Sharon dont listen to that squeeky sound in the background.
Ive been slowy incoorporatin a stretxhing routine prior to work and makes a huge difference!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn...nevermind....
Sharon dont listen to that squeeky sound in the background.
Ive been slowy incoorporatin a stretxhing routine prior to work and makes a huge difference!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: i've seen you ice fish.....your wife does all the hard stuff'

i seen your deer stand..........yea you need exercise.

i seen how much fishing you do in the summer...........pretty hard from the living room couch!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :doah:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I go to Silver Sneakers at Total Balance Physical Therapy with a bunch of seniors. Love the exercise. And it's a Medicare Program so they pay for it. :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
My plan calls it Renew Active, but they pay for my membership at the Y too. :happy1: :cool: I think most, if not all, of the Medicare Supplemental/Advantage plans will pay for a gym membership these days.
« Last Edit: January 01/04/24, 03:40:32 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rodwork

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Do I get participation points if my wife was doing the Cat/Cow while I aided?

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Do I get participation points if my wife was doing the Cat/Cow while I aided?
Not sure is Kama Sutra counts as yoga.   :sleazy:  But what do I know?   :confused:  It might is you can hold the position long enough.   :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been doing my lay down and let the back straighten out thing and have been riding the new bike.  I can tell I am improving too. 

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
so Sharon.........does getting up and down about 80 times a morning stocking shelves count as Yoga???? :happy1: :rotflmao:

Well maybe it doesn't quite count as yoga, but it's definitely great exercise!!  :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I seem to get plenty of exercise daily involving hay bales, 5 gallon buckets and pitchforks. I'm afraid once I got down there in some of those yoga positions and couldn't get back up, I'd probably just take a nap!😴   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I recently attended a Yin Yoga class and since in a Yin practice you hold the poses longer (about 3-5 minutes) it got me thinking about this post! So let's talk about how long to hold a yoga pose.

In general, beginner yoga students should not hold the poses very long. About 2-4 breaths should allow you to get a feel for the alignment of the pose and start to build strength and flexibility. Holding the pose for longer may cause strain or injury. As you progress and become more comfortable with the poses, you can gradually increase the time you hold them.

There are benefits for both long and short hold times, so it is important to find a balance between the two. While hold times are an important guide in your practice, becoming overly attached to specific lengths of time may hinder your progress. It’s essential to listen to your body and adjust your practice accordingly. Yoga is a journey, and it’s not about how long you can hold a pose, but about finding a mindful and comfortable practice that works for you.

Your breath is a powerful tool in determining how long to hold a pose. As you hold a pose, focus on your breath and use it to gauge when it’s time to come out of the pose. If you can maintain a steady breath, you can hold the pose for a longer time, but if you are struggling to breathe, modify, or release the pose.

Last night I was at a Hatha Yoga class and we held a plank pose for 50 seconds - plank pose gets harder the longer you're in it and breathing through it and remembering to engage my entire body and especially my core really helped me make it to a full 50 seconds!  :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Sharon. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      You young folks listen up and do like Sharon says.
      Speaking as a guy looking at his 69th birthday not too far away, aftermarket parts in left knee, left shoulder and arthritis in right knee and a (probably) torn right rotator cuff, I'll hold your beer.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  I will be 70 in July youngster. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good job Sharon! It should help keep you younger physically & mentally a lot longer. The spiritual side? That's what shamans like glenn are for... :rotflmao:

Coming up on 66 here. Still all OEM but left shoulder has hurt for 30 yrs. & starting to feel pain in the right one. Hips have been sending me notice they're out of warranty for many years.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
72 in a few months     :scratch: :scratch:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!