Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: PEARL HARBOR  (Read 1338 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
kind of surprised this has not been mentioned today, yet anyway... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Agree. Hope they have Tora! Tora! Tora! on TV tonite. Saw that one when it came out in our long since gone little local movie theater. Some dark days in history following Pearl Harbor, some we seem to be forgetting about with each passing day. If those brave men & women hadn't fought & died, we might not have been here to talk about it.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If'n ya haven't already found it... Netflix has a 3 part documentary on the Pearl Harbor attack - Minute by Minute.  Its pretty good.  They interview several (then) living participants including a 103 year-old Japanese torpedo bomber copilot. 

Attack on Pearl Harbor: Minute by Minute

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sad day when it does not even make the daily newspaper. Shame on the media nowadays when all this crap is run daily and they can't even mention a historic day when so many lost there lives for us.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
More important to talk about taylor swift at the chiefs games
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
but at least we here are talking about it... and that's good!!   

Offline Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Yes, but no offence meant I suspect our average age on here is a bit on the higher side I bet. At some point no one is going to talk about it.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems to me they covered the 80 year anniversary pretty well. 

And lets face it...  Today's mainstream media news is nothing but propaganda and/or infotainment.

When talking about Pearl Harbor Day or VE Day or 911 ceases to serve someone agenda or no one cares about it anymore, yes, it will fall off the news cycle radar.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Yes, but no offence meant I suspect our average age on here is a bit on the higher side I bet. At some point no one is going to talk about it.
oh I hear ya there, I'm just grateful we can respect the past...   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Found this...

‘I owe them’: At 103, Pearl Harbor survivor returns to honor comrades lost in attack

Schab, who has returned for the 82nd commemoration of the Pearl Harbor attack, is expected to be one of just six survivors at a ceremony commemorating the assault that propelled the U.S. into World War II and to remember the more than 2,300 servicemen killed.
Schab is the last survivor from Navy Band 13 and among the ranks of a shrinking number of servicemembers who lived through one of the darkest days in America’s history.

There is now just one crew member of the USS Arizona still living, 102-year-old Lou Conter of California, the Associated Press reported. Two years ago, survivors who attended the 80th anniversary remembrance ceremony ranged in age from 97 to 103. They’ll be even older this time.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
my one neighbor would go every year to the Dec 7th to the going's on over there....   he's a WW2 survivor and was on Iwo Jima when they raised the flag....

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Sad that history isn't remembered.
      About 10 years ago, I asked some 30 something year olds the significance of the day in history. Bewildered silence.
      I said "1941?" More silence.
      "World War Two?" No answers.
      Finally, one kid said "Oh, now I remember. We attacked Pearl Harbor". I had to leave the room.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Right, they are trying to erase/change history. I just don't understand stand why either. I salute all those service men who lost they lives and fought in those wars.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It is just that time goes by.  I don't think anyone is trying to hide anything.  Things just fade as time goes on.  It is a shame but just the way it is.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
It is just that time goes by.  I don't think anyone is trying to hide anything.  Things just fade as time goes on.  It is a shame but just the way it is.
That is some of it, people do forget over time. But now they are portraying the US as the bad guy for bombing Japan after what they did to Pearl Harbor. And all this woke nonsense is trying to erase history. It is sad.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and who helped rebuild Japan...   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember our history teacher in GRADE SCHOOL teaching us about the decision to drop the bomb(s) on Japan.  She had us consider both sides of the issue:  the killing of enemy civilians vs. facing an enemy who refused to surrender and would continue to kill American soldiers.

That was back in the day when schools actually taught history.  And when they did, they didn't tell you how you were SUPPOSED to thing about an issue.

Oh, yeah, and after the lesson was over, we classmates didn't hate each other for sympathizing with one side or the other.  Our teacher was teaching us more than history.  She was teaching us how to reason thru complex issues while respecting alternate perspectives.

Now they teach GROUP THINK. 

C'ept now they wouldn't have a white guy on the screen.   :undecided:
« Last Edit: December 12/08/23, 10:00:12 AM by Steve-o »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember our history teacher in GRADE SCHOOL teaching us about the decision to drop the bomb(s) on Japan.  She had us consider both sides of the issue:  the killing of enemy civilians vs. facing an enemy who refused to surrender and would continue to kill American soldiers.

That was back in the day when schools actually taught history.  And when they did, they didn't tell you how you were SUPPOSED to thing about an issue.

Oh, yeah, and after the lesson was over, we classmates didn't hate each other for sympathizing with one side or the other.  Our teacher was teaching us more than history.  She was teaching us how to reason thru complex issues while respecting alternate perspectives.

Now they teach GROUP THINK. 

C'ept now they wouldn't have a white guy on the screen.   :undecided:
I remember my science teacher in high school told the class that Moses didn't part the sea so they could get across, it was a drought that year so they crossed in a swallow spot.  Then right when the Egyptian soldiers came to cross it to bring them back to Egypt, a big storm came and flooded the sea and killed them all!  :scratch:  This was a public school and I don't even remember how we got to that discussion?  But he was also the football coach, so I wasn't going to argue.  :undecided:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My dad come close to giving it all in Korea on a destroyer when his ship took four direct hits, it sickens me to my core to think that people want to change history for an agenda when I am sure some of those folks had relatives who came close or did give it all for this country.
  I found it extremely discomforting when a soldier at Arlington had to dress down a 16 year old punk for laughing at the tomb of the unknown, had I been that soldier, ( and dont think for a minute I am judging the soldier ) I would have beaten the parents then the punk kid.

God, please forgive our parents so that we didnt have it as hard as they did, bless them for that, and we are finding out today, spare the rod, spoil the child.
And to be honest, all of us know, history will repeat itself and its overdue.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think we are on the verge of it repeating itself now.