Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: it's gonna get cold  (Read 954 times)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
we only have a few inches of snow, which is good... as we will get some colder weather here to create some more ice over the next week... then we can get more snow for the sleds.
I haven't been out fishing, so can't really report on that.
There is a huge pressure ridge that runs pretty much through the middle of the lake that I can see... so that will be fun once we get snow and the dopes head off the trail at 60 mph.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
update... a few more inches of dry snow over night...
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
we only have a few inches of snow, which is good... as we will get some colder weather here to create some more ice over the next week... then we can get more snow for the sleds.
I haven't been out fishing, so can't really report on that.
There is a huge pressure ridge that runs pretty much through the middle of the lake that I can see... so that will be fun once we get snow and the dopes head off the trail at 60 mph.
  Great speed bumps

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of cold, I drove over the MN River today and it's starting to lock up, not quite tho. And this has to be a record ( for me) I'm in and otta the weather all day long at work and have yet to put the long johns on by almost mid January, that'll change fast it sounds.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Boober... you ever try those insulated pants?? Once I tried  them I'll never go back to Long johns!! :happy1:

Ever since I list 50 lbs I did however needed to invest in suspenders! :shocked: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
The other way to go is to invest in merino wool long undies.   

When you wear them, you don't overheat so much when you get someplace warmer, because that stuff breathes, wicks sweat, and don't get stinky (because bacteria don't like to grow on merino wool).

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the problem,  I go inside to do paper and computer work then back outside and you can definitely tell from the sweat. A set of bibs do wonders when it's really cold, can always take em off going inside. Ya Glenn i should look into a pair of lined pants to try.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Okay, different ratings for cold, at a certain temp preachers put their hands in their own pockets, next are politicians doing the same, and somewhere in between that and finding a witches, uh, er, ahem, boobs on a Florida bound flight, just how cold is cold???

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Okay, different ratings for cold, at a certain temp preachers put their hands in their own pockets, next are politicians doing the same, and somewhere in between that and finding a witches, uh, er, ahem, boobs on a Florida bound flight, just how cold is cold???

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Yeah, I just throw on my Gortex/Thinsulate bibs, 2 minutes in or out.
« Last Edit: January 01/11/24, 07:54:33 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Yeah, I just throw on my Gortex/Thinsulate bibs, 2 minutes in or out.

yup me too, but we are retired compared to Bobber!!!!  I like them and my carhart bibs too!!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Heading north early Saturday morning for a fishing trip.  Going to be cold and windy.  Cold front will slow the bite down but I'm not goingto let a little cold weather stop me.  Dress for it and be safe.  Hopefully catch a few fish as well.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the problem,  I go inside to do paper and computer work then back outside and you can definitely tell from the sweat. A set of bibs do wonders when it's really cold, can always take em off going inside. Ya Glenn i should look into a pair of lined pants to try.
  Those lined jeans are great.  I have a couple pair of the Carhart lined jeans.  Then when it gets really cold I add the BlackFish base layer.  For tops I always start with the base layer to keep the sweat wicked away and then a warm hoodie.  For me I am good if I can keep my lower back warm.  If I am working outside its the black lined Carhart bibs and if I am fishing it is the Clam Rise Float bibs and parka.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
  With the wind right now its that cold.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Clam(?) base layer too but it doesn't get used that much because if it's that cold I'm usually not out in it that long. Rarely do I have the Gortex/Thinsulate & the base layer both on.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So cold it will freeze the balls off a brass monkey.   Which means back in the old sailing ship days the cannon balls were made with anything that they could melt down which was a lot of steel too.  So the holder for them on deck was called a monkey and were made of brass so the cannon balls wouldn't corrode to it.  SO when it got real cold the brass monkey got smaller and the balls would fall off.   :sleazy: :sleazy: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Good History lesson.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Now if someone would explain that cold witch reference to me...   ;) :bonk: