Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Old 2-4-D  (Read 1438 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
About 5 years ago I got a 2 gallon jug of 2-4-D.  A good deal at L&M.  I should have gotten a smaller jug I think.  How long will it still retain it's strength?  Maybe just pour a lot of it in my sprayer? I add a shot of dish soap too.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
At 5 years old it shouldn't be too bad yet, especially if it was kept from freezing. Sometimes it can salt out easier in that case and you have have to shake the crap out of it to get it dissolved again. I've got some I bought about 10 years ago that's still effective. It's been kept outside in the shed. I only use it for spot spraying with the hand sprayer and on the fence lines as part of a witch's brew for certain weeds, like horseweed and giant ragweed.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping you would see this.  It has been in my gas/chemical cabinet in the garage and never gets down to freezing.  May hit 40 now and then.  I fill my 2 gal sprayer with water then add a couple of glugs on the stuff and a shot of dawn.  Give it a shake and go spraying.  Have done it for maybe 18 years.  The  doc still shows up but not as many.  I walk the whole property and even spray over the fence to kill the neighbors.  Used to take 2 tanks.  I spray that weedy stuff that grows in the gravel driveway with glyposate.  Would 24D be better?  Thanks for the info

PS  I bought 2 gallons of glyphosate too since it is cheaper now.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The knotweed, that stuff that lies flat in the driveway is tough to kill with 2,4-D. Any of those buckwheat family plants are including wild buckwheat, curly dock and smartweed. Glyphosate would be more effective.

https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld40K000.pdf
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dotch. :happy1: :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Does it still taste ok?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Barry and Dotch, just curious, how much are you using per gallon? I've been using Amine 400 (2-4-D) at two and half ounces per gallon. Not a yellow flower in sight and it knocked down the creeping charlie pretty good too. :happy1:
mm

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been using Trimec 1oz/gal here.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is what I use Mark.  I used to measure but since I am spot spraying I don't care if the burdock gets too much of it.  I don't measure any more for that I just pour a couple of glugs in my 2 gal sprayer.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
interesting read. with my small yard i just jet a gallon jug of weed b gon for the dandelions and yard weeds. cleaning out moms stuff i found a jug of Trimic i'll use.

i just disposed of some old herbicide at the cabin that must be 35 years old. it came in an old metal can. i spot dribbled it on weeds and i'll be it killed them.  :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
markn, usually 2 - 3 oz. 2,4-D in a gallon sprayer is what I use but there are usually others in the mix as well when spraying pasture fence. Depending on what I'm targeting with the hand sprayer, that can include things like glyphosate, dicamba, aminopyralid (Milestone) and occasionally pramitol. Canada thistle is one of my biggest problems and needs to be broadcast sprayed with aminopyralid every few years on the pastures themselves. I have a sprayer on the Gator I use for that. I calibrate it so I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting on per acre. That stuff's not cheap so don't want to waste it.   

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guys. That’s about the same for me Dotch. I need to keep an eye on Charlie to be sure his butt gets kicked. It’s spreading.  :happy1: :happy1:
mm