Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ruffed grouse.  (Read 1796 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      According to our DNR, the drumming count says the grouse numbers are the highest they've been since 1972. Does that get anyone else a little excited for the coming season?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw that too.  They are worried about the spring rains hurting the pheasant crop.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Do you hunt them up there??
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm worried about the pheasants also lps. Regarding the grouse,  I always thought or heard they did better during the winters with lots of snow, places to hide from predators.  With hardly any snow this past yr one would think they took a thumping?? Apparently not.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And a wet spring is the hardest thing on them.  Those chicks can't handle being wet for long.  When we were looking at places to move up here we see this rooster pheasant.  I got all excited and found out later that a guy raises a few each year and lets them go.  South of Ottertail right north of Barret seemed like the line.  And there were quite a few right there too.  Not many north of that.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Being wet and cold is the killer. After a certain size, not many can hide under moms wings during a storm anymore.  :undecided:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i dont know but judging by the turkeys i've been seeing up there......they havent had issues reproducing.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to hunt them Ken.  Sure tasted good sauteed in butter.  I need to get back into it.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I think I’ve seen a few more grouse for this time of year.  Including a few chicks. The turkey population keeps moving north. I mentioned to someone not long ago that I was regularly seeing turkeys not too far south of Grand Rapids, and lately I’m seeing them 10 miles north of town.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a little creek that CR 35 crosses just this side of Mn 6 & there's a farm there that raises sweet corn to sell in a little honor system stand up by their garage. We usually see quite a few wild turkeys right there too. Been seeing a few more grouse around here too.
« Last Edit: July 07/13/24, 07:29:59 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I haven't been grouse hunting in 10 years or so. It would be nice to get back in to it.  May be a good excuse to buy a new 20 ga.
      I guess like most game birds, the y can handle weather better than they can deal with predation and habitat loss.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
In our ride thru part of Beltrami last weekend we seen 4 groups and 1 had 5 little chicks with it. Then on Sunday evening driving thru the trails up by the house seen 1 with some chicks I almost ran over. Or sure hope I didn't run over. I do hunt them some here. They sure are tasty.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've seen a few grouse on my travels to different lakes on the roads, usually a good sign the population is good. i really havent gotten off the main paths much were i guy would possibly see more!!!!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am very excited for the season.  I hunted them for the first time ever last year and am hooked, as I finally figured things out by my 4th time out.  I even bought a GPS collar for my dog so I won't lose her in the woods.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The times I've been grouse hunting, it was a blast. Finding any time to do it has increasingly been the issue.

As far as the pheasants mentioned up the thread a bit, I suspect it's looking grim. SW & SC MN have both been wetter than crap since May. Still a lot of ponded water, rain every other day in May & June, & lots wet grass to drag any existing chicks through. Oh and there are raccoons, possums and skunks squashed on the road all over the place. Not a recipe for successful pheasant chick survival. I have seen none in my travels around our neck of the woods.  :sad: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Went once in the late 90's with my Stearns County fishing buddy. We, (us two and his dog) were walking a logging road up by Buyck. His dog froze. He motioned her to flush, four grouse flew up and he shot three of them with his model 12 featherweight. I just watched in total amazement. Those three birds and some Belgian baked potatoes made a great supper. We had cribbage and Old Grand Dad for desert. Just a great memory!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
With a new tick in town,  you guys stay home and the pooches and I will make sure the woods n weeds are safe fer all this fall!! I'll let ya know when it's safe.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: July 07/15/24, 06:39:35 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
With a new tick in town,  you guys stay home and the pooches and I will make sure the woods n weeds are safe fer all this fall!! I'll let ya know when it's safe.  :happy1:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: not gonna happen bubba!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :moon:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Went once in the late 90's with my Stearns County fishing buddy. We, (us two and his dog) were walking a logging road up by Buyck. His dog froze. He motioned her to flush, four grouse flew up and he shot three of them with his model 12 featherweight. I just watched in total amazement. Those three birds and some Belgian baked potatoes made a great supper. We had cribbage and Old Grand Dad for desert. Just a great memory!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Love those model 12’s. Grew up learning with a 20 gauge.  My brother ended up with that one. Bought my FIL’s 12 gauge from my MIL after he died, but ended giving it to his grandson to keep family peace. (Not that that gesture worked!). Still have a 12 gauge and a knockoff 16.

BTW, Roony, what are Belgian baked potatoes?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My friend Mike has always called them Belgian baked. Just cut an unpeeled potato into large wedges. Put them on an oiled baking pan. Season them with whatever your little heart desired and bake them for maybe 50 minutes or so.
Excellent way to overdo it on carbs!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      That sounds like what we just call potato wedges. One of our favorite ways to eat taters. Sometimes my wife will make up a special dipping sauce made horseradish and Tabasco sauce, among other things.
      You're absolutely right, roomy, delicious way to overdo it.
      Fun to experiment with coatings for them taters.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm gonna have some of them tater wedges today at pizza ranch!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm gonna have some of them tater wedges today at pizza ranch!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
But...do they have Old Grand Dad there?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: Probably not.  :rotflmao:

Online Jrasmussen

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glenn it's Pizza Ranch just bring your own like everyone else   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn it's Pizza Ranch just bring your own like everyone else   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I would go with some regular old Jim Beam. But that's just me.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i are full of pizza ranch chicky and tater wedges!!!!!!! sleepy now!!!!! :rotflmao:

yea i'm not into drinkin when im driving.....i'll wait till friday night in my back yard. :happy1:
« Last Edit: July 07/16/24, 06:26:20 PM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :doah: From where I sit.......................you're always full.........................of somethin!!! :nerd:   
  ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :doah: From where I sit.......................you're always full.........................of somethin!!! :nerd:   
  ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

2nd that!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!