Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food plot ?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Rywheat

• Pout Shouters-Saloon
  • Outdoorsman
I cleared a area in the woods at my parents property and I was wondering what would be a good plot for a shady area this area will get some sun just not full sun

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Couple of options to consider...

1.  RR Corn or Beans...I always like to go at least one year with Roundup Ready to clean up the weeds and volunteer trees as well as mellow the soil.  That will really make it easier for fancier plots in following years.  If the plots ever get weedy again, just go back into a year rotation with RR to clean them up again.

2. Brassi Buck - Your plot is probably too small for clovers as the deer will target the area and eat everything as it emerges.  Your Brassicas on the other hand, deer will leave these along for the most part through the growing season.  After some freezing, the starch will turn to sugar and become a great fall attractant.

Good luck with your plots!

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com

Offline luvn-luvnlife

• Outdoorsman
  • luvnlifes personal deer dragger
Kyle,
Does it pay to spend the extra cash and buy biologics biomaxx?

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You will always get the skinny from me...I am not complex with my management and I keep it pretty simple and pretty cost effective.

There are alot of brands out there and alot of shiney bags with pretty pictures of big deer on them.  Last I knew...you don't plant the pretty bag and the deer don't eat the bag.  That is an interesting idea though.

Just get premium seed!  Other than that the bag doesn't change the results.

Look at the label for germination, purity, origin of seed and, of great importantance, what is the test date.  Make sure that the seed has been tested within the last 6 months.  It is like a "born on date".

You will see on the "Brassi Buck" tag that it has good germ, good purity and some of the brassicas are actually from New Zealand (the same ones that the other brands come from).  Everyone gets their seed pretty much from the same place.

Funny thing I was thinking about the other day...we spend money on fancy seed from New Zealand and the people from New Zealand probably have it dirt cheap and laugh about it...I wonder if they buy seed from Minnesota and think it is the craze?

Anyway...

No I don't think it pays to spend more money to get the same thing.  However, some people think that if it is $10 or $15 more that it much be better.

You will love the Brassi Buck mix that we have...and you get 10 lbs. of seed for the price of 6 lb. shiney bag stuff.  Seeding rate is 6 lb.s / ac so the 10 lb. bag will do up to 1.5 acres...don't over seed as it will compete with itself.

I will try to attach some recent photos that customers sent to me so you can see what it looks like.

You can read more about it at the MNO Habitat Outlet Store at....

www.HabitatNOW.com/go/MNO

Kyle, PLM

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Photos...
« Last Edit: April 04/13/07, 01:31:41 PM by big_fish_guy »

Offline Rywheat

• Pout Shouters-Saloon
  • Outdoorsman
The photo is what i wouild like for the field we have it is approx. 7 ac and we have done some small food plots in there with really good success but had a problem with over seeding and with it beeing extremly dry. how much round up would we need to spray 7 acs and how much seed 42lbs?

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sorry...I didn't get the email telling me that there was a response.  STill trying to figure this thing out.   ::)

7 ac. is a good sized area.  I would recommend a few things...

1. To increase the carrying capacity to possible have more than one or two doe groups, I would create some "barriers".  Shrubs and spruce are great for this.  These barriers will devide the areas somewhat to allow more doe groups to co-exist with less competition for home ranges.  More doe groups = more dominant bucks.  Teh type of shrubs and conifers are dependant on the soil types that you have.  You may want to consider PLM's Property Review and Assessment option on the www.HabitatNOW.com/go/MNO site for assistance with a plan and design.  Depending on how many acres you have, it might cost $300 but you then get a $300 credit for shrubs, trees, food plot seed, etc. that you will need anyway...so the plan and design then become free.  Win-win deal.

2. To also increase carrying capacity, develop food sources that are going to develop, emerge and be available at all times of the year.  Clovers/Chicory are great for spring, summer and fall.  Corn/soybeans are great for fall.  Brassicas are great for late fall and winter.  Soybeans/wheat/oats are great for early fall and into winter as well.  By designing food source availability, you will reduce competition for food and cover and increase the number of doe groups...therefore more dominant bucks.  Try designing in your brassicas in small plots (.1 to .3 ac) where there are travel lanes/trails coming in and out.  Develop perennial clover/chicory plots out and around these areas.  Create the shrub/spruce areas along contours and deviding areas to create the barriers.  It there is room, add in a few thick native grass areas for bedding.  Wow!  That is nice stuff!

Again, check out the www.HabitatNOW.com/go/MNO site for some good options and even the Property Review and Assessment option.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or questions...

Kyle, PLM