Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What is your favorite opener technique?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
During the opener, I prefer to use rigs with leeches on the points.  I also never throw out the chance to throw a slip bobber over the shallow rocks. 

What is your prefered technique during the opener?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well, there are so many to choose from depending on weather and time of the day. I like to use leeches. I fish the rocks, sand and weeds. I like to use slip bobbers over the rocks and in the weeds. I like to throw crankbaits over the weeds at night. The ol' lindy rig tactic in the sand and i'll even do a little vertical jigging in all areas.  This is all on the menu for this year, whether I use it or not we'll see. Check back for a report May 14th ;D

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I also like pitching jigs into the shallows.......I'm excited to try the new Fireline Crystal I just spooled this past weekend!! ::rockon::

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;)  depending on the weather and conditions ? it is usually a jig and a small live bait trolled or drifted with the wind over the sand gravel and rubble till i get a hit .

::fishing::  woodchuck  ::fishing::
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
1.  Dragging leeches (5' snell, red hook, white glow bead)
2.  Pitching jigs in the shallows
3.  Bobbering over the rocks after sundown / before sunup

Offline holdemtwice

• Master Outdoorsman
  • BURNSVILLE
 NEVER BEEN TO THE OPENER . I WILL LET YOU KNOW  AFTER THE OPENER
member  # 569

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
not going out for the opener ...... there is going to be too many boats out that day........ i am going to wait for a few days after to go out ........ i will let you know what i use  :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Offline CentralFishingClub

• Outdoorsman
 i am gonna be at my fav. pike lake that doesnt have muskies, and im gonna through some very large baits. they seem to work every year. all i have to do is figure out what color suits the conditions and... POW!!               
     ::spam:;   ::spam:;  ::spam:;  ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:; ::spam:;

Thats fun.    hehe
NEVER GIVE UP!

Offline Hog EyEs

• Outdoorsman
With out a doubt Jig & Minnow ::fishing::

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
If water temps are favorable, I love dragging a #11 floating Rapala.  I've boated a ton of walleye over the years that way.  I used to fish a SMALL Ely river no wider than 20 feet across and hammer the walleye in the spring.  Too much fun!

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sitting on my brother's dock, having a beer and throwing a leech and slowly bringing it in, haven't been skunked in years! LUVNLIFE

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
I'm going to use a fishing rod and some line and a hook and a reel and a bober and a sinker and a knot and a bead and a leach but I will not use a comma.
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline shakey legs 2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I usually fish Leech from the opener through Memorial weekend.  It is pretty hard to beat a 1/8 oz. fireball jig (lime green or chartreuse/green) with a small shiner or fathead.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly as much fun.? Robert Traver "Anatomy of a Fisherman"