Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Berretta Extrema 2 not cycling  (Read 4033 times)

Offline buckshot

• Outdoorsman
Hi Guys,
I bought an Extrema 2 and it worked beautifully for the first season but now it doesn't always cycle the 3.5" shells.   I have had it back to the dealer and even after just cleaning it I have had the issue.  I have tried different manufacturers for the loads I use and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  As luck would have it.....it always happens at the worst possible time.   Flock of geese miss shot #1 then sit with a jammed gun.   ::banghead::  It cycles 3" shells no problem.
Any ideas or anyone else run into this issue?
Thanks
JB
Walleyes come and walleyes go....but the memories last forever!!

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
time for some new parts  and some  cleanin of the gas tube stuff..

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It does sound like your gun is dirty. That action does not work the best when it has a build up.

Just because a dealer cleaned it don't mean its clean bring it to a good gun smith and have them break it all the way down.

If it still does the same thing it will have to be sent in
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Had the same issues with my Browning Gold 3-1/2.

I found it would not cycle a 3-1/2 behind a 2-3/4 inch round because the shorty didn't push the bolt back far enough to properly push the long one up into the chamber.

After several times being sent back to Browning and two years worth of hunting and cleaning it after EVERY outing, it will now shoot all sizes back to back.

Browning reps told me it must have just been a matter of break in and cleaning it after EVERY hunt.

I would tear it down every night at the hotel and scrub it out just so I could count on it the next day.

This past year now it worked flawless and I only cleaned it at the end of the weekends hunt.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Does it act like its frozen or what? I had that happen to me early season with my benelli and dame thing, I had to manually clear it after the first shot.

That morning went something like this.
BANG! Thud.
What the @##$
Bang!
go#$%#$%
ma@#$@#$@
Piece of Monkey @#$$

more birds cant comlain.

I was ready to run that thing over with the truck I was getting pissed.

I keep a bottle of spray in my blind bag and I give it a shot every morning before the hunt and that really helps.

I got the Extrema 2 and that thing is an awesome gun, worth every penny I think. I havent shot too many 3 1/2s out of it, usually just take the ten gauge for honkers.

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
I have had problems with my semi autos too. I would run 2-3 boxes of 3 inch through it to and then a box or 2 of 3 1/2 in a day to "break the camber in" and then see how she runs. The guns do need to be broken in no matter what the sales guy at the counter says or not. If it is a newer gun that may be the issue. My buddies dad is a dealer and he told me that I a guy would need to run 300-500 rounds of 3 and 3 1/2 through a gun (depending on the gun) before they can truly depend on the gun. (if you do it I would suggest recruting a buddy or two to help to save on the shoulder!)
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have had problems with my semi autos too. I would run 2-3 boxes of 3 inch through it to and then a box or 2 of 3 1/2 in a day to "break the camber in" and then see how she runs. The guns do need to be broken in no matter what the sales guy at the counter says or not. If it is a newer gun that may be the issue. My buddies dad is a dealer and he told me that I a guy would need to run 300-500 rounds of 3 and 3 1/2 through a gun (depending on the gun) before they can truly depend on the gun. (if you do it I would suggest recruting a buddy or two to help to save on the shoulder!)
~ Greg

Your telling me your going to shoot 75 mag rounds in one day, Just to break it in? I want to hunt with you if you can afford to spend that much on shells just to break it in......

So how many rounds would I have to put through my Extrema 2 to be "dependable?"

My SBE last fall jammed up the first trip, I had some money left over so thats the reason I went out and bought a new one, and I dont shoot 3 1/2, I just dont see the purpose in that big of a load for 90% of the year. That was the first time the gun ever jammed. And I bought that when I was in eighth grade. I shoot trap two or three times a week, still a horrible shot :ROTFLMAO: how many rounds would I have to continue to shoot to make that gun dependable?

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
I can afford to put a lot more than that through it!!!  :bandana: "What's that hun?" Never mind... I can't.  ::hittingself:: It is just an idea is all. I'm no expert on this topic by any means so maybe one of the Pros could chime in on what it takes to "break in" a chamber???
~ Greg  ;D
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It takes TIME  to break in a gun and most auto's takes allot of cleaning. And no you don't have to shoot all 3 1/2" shells.

Take it trap shooting use some target loads in it. and then clean the action out use a good cleaner and lube.
Shut up and Shoot

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I can afford to put a lot more than that through it!!!  :bandana: "What's that hun?" Never mind... I can't.  ::hittingself:: It is just an idea is all. I'm no expert on this topic by any means so maybe one of the Pros could chime in on what it takes to "break in" a chamber???
~ Greg  ;D

I wasnt trying to grind an ax with ya man. The prices are jumping in shells this fall by a couple bucks a box. Mag rounds are not cheap. I shoot the federal High density and man when I shoot them my butt hurts too.  :moon: You know where your wallet it, that part.

I was serious to hear about breaking in a chamber. When it comes to cleaning guns I use the Gunslick Match Grade Kit for my shotguns now, havent had the problem yet. I try to clean my gun inside and out after each hunt. One guy cleans birds, one guys cleans the trailer or the boat, one sprays down the truck and the other guy takes care of the shotties.

Rifles get wiped down every night, obviously nothing goes inside to screw up the groupings I sited in with. But I still wipe down the stock, clean the scope, pull the bolt out to look down the barrel for any obstructions.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I sure would at the very least use some 3inch mags, my Browning shot them all day long and never jammed.
But put in a 3-1/2 and it was a one shot wonder till the bolt slide was broke in to the long toms.

A trap load will not push the bolt ALL the way back, it surely will cycle fine and will do a good job of ejecting the shortys.But it just doesn't get pushed back to the buffer with a trap or lite field load.

My Remington 1100 mag won't even eject a lite trap load, it needs the heavey trap or field loads to get the bolt to eject them.

I also would like to add that there is a big differance between the Reminton and Brownings vs the Beretta and the SBE , the Remington and Browning are both gas guns.

My suggestion is to buy some cheap as you can find 3-1/2 inchers and blast away at some clays for a few boxes, then shoot some 3 inchers and a few boxes of heavey trap loads.

Benny
« Last Edit: May 05/09/07, 01:06:10 AM by Benny »
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"