Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ATV for food plot  (Read 1496 times)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I just bought some land and I was wondering if any body has tried those little disks or diggers you can buy for the ATV? They have them at Northern tool. Only hundred and some for them. I don't know if they would be heavy enough. Don't know what I would use for a planter yet either. PF gives a couple of bags of Round up ready corn. I have the Polaris 700, so I was wondering if I should get a disk for it or not.  :stupid:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good question...

Site prep is a VERY important step in developing quality food plots.  It is the difference between painting on high quality canvas or a sheet of school paper...it reflects in the quality of what you get in the end results.

Don't short cut the site prep.

Good site prep requires good tillage equipment that can get down deep enough to create some tillage that will break down the sod as well as create the "tillith" for good seed placement and seed-to-soil contact.  This will improve germination and growth of your food plot.

Most of the ATV equipment is pretty light and just doesn't get down deep enough...or will take so long to till just one acre that you will spend the entire day trying to just get your tillage done.  Sandy soils will be easier and heavier soils will be harder to till with light equipment.  I have several clients that are not happy with the small ATV equipment as it just doesn't do the job.  There are some larger ATV equipment on the market now as well but you have to have a pretty big ATV to pull them.

If the ATV option is the only option you have, then it is definately better than nothing but just keep your expectations in check.  There is a reason why farmers are not farming with ATVs and rather select equipment that will do a better job of tillage.

Don't forget to check out the MNO Habitat Outlet Store for any items that you may need as well for your food plots...www.HabitatNOW.com/go/MNO

Good luck with your plots and keep us posted on how they turn out for you!

Kyle, PLM

Offline Rywheat

• Pout Shouters-Saloon
  • Outdoorsman
My brother bought the Biologic disc from fleet farm I think it was around $700 and it seems to work pretty well but we found out it is easiest to take the top of the old hay field off after running the disk over it with our Bobcat He has done a couple acres of food plot with it and it seems to work good enough with the 500 cc Vinson or my 660 grizzly