Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Big Chippewa 6/10 Report  (Read 5219 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I took the family out to Big Chippewa lake just north of Brandon, MN today.  Being as I'm "new" to fishing pretty much any of the lakes around here, it's a cr@pshoot to say the least.  But ya gotta start somewhere.   ::)

We got out around 1pm with each of us trying a different set up until we knew what the fish wanted today.  Our targeted fish was walleye of course.  But with the kids along, anything goes!  We used leeches and crawlers and didn't do too bad all things considered.  Kelsey (my 9yo daughter) caught 2 rockbass-on her own I might add.  Now some of you may be thinking-"big deal", but it is when you are 9 years old, and you did it all on your own!  "Dad-I got something!" is all I heard!  I didn't have to coach her or nothing.  She reeled up and I took it off the hook-that part of the lesson will come later for her.  ;)

It wasn't long and the Mrs. also caught a rockbass.  These were actually pretty good sized fish, and put up a nice fight.  But from what I was told as a kid-you can't/don't eat them.  Anyone eat them?  Justin (my 12 yo son) got a couple of sunnies.  Overall fishing was pretty slow.  So we moved around quite a bit.  The last spot we tried I finally hooked into a decent 2lb walleye.  We were fishing a break between 15-24 ft. with a moderate breeze from the south.

Maybe it was the jetski's zooming by all the time, or maybe it was the oncoming storm-but the fishing came to a halt.  The sky's to the south were looking ominous-so we decided it was better safe than sorry so we packed up and headed home.  I did release the walleye before we left.  It just isn't worth cleaning one fish for me.  None the less it was nice to get out, and now I got racoon eyes again thanks to the bright sun!   8)  ::rockon::
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Congrats to Kelsey, Justin, you and the Mrs for your catches and being able to get out on the water as a family. I'm sure that even though the fishing was slow, you guys had a great time together out in the boat. Thanks for sharing your day with us bro! ^5   ;)  ::fishing::
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I forgot to mention-the reason there is no pictures is I didn't bring the camera.

If I bring the camera=no fish.  ::hittingself::
If I don't bring the camera=get fish! ::fishing::
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com