Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Transducer question  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Zercom Clearwater Pro flasher.  It was mounted on the dash, but I replaced it with my Lowrance.  I want to move it to the bow, but of course the transducer cable is too short.

My question is:

Can a person splice in a length on a transducer cable without losing any signal strength?

Or does anyone know where I can get a new transducer & cable for this unit? 

It's a good lil flasher, and I'd hate to shelf it.  Thanks! ~Woody   ::rockon::
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
woody, I cant speak like a proffesional here, but I have cut and spliced transducer cable with much success.
actually, my transducer came loose from a poor mount and got caught in the prop.
 I had nothing to loose by trying to splice it back together.
 I seperated the two wires, the inner wire and the outer braided cable and soldered them respectively.
 I then taped them up so they would not touch and I used what is called liquid electrical tape.
 it's alot like the liquid plastic dip that is used for tool handles like rubberized pliers handles etc.
it worked for as long as I had my pontoon, so yes, it can be done.
 do you loose anything?
 I cant say for sure but the depth finder worked every bit as good as it did before as far as I could tell.
also, you may be able to buy an extension cable, or a new transducer with a longer cable.
 you do the math and make the call. I know what i would do.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Jigglestick-you da man!  ::rockon::  I kinda figured someone out there had to have done this.  I'm going to hold off on this a lil while-I have the depth finders that I need-I just thought I'd hook one up for the person riding up front.  I'm the capt'n-numero uno, as long as I have the equiptment I need-that's all that matters.  But I figured as long as I have this-I'll make use of it.  I've also got a Humminbird Super Silent Sixty-but not sure where I would want to mount this, or even if I want to mount it.

I do have a spool of RG8/U cable (for cb's), and thought this might work.  I'm fairly handy at things like this, and liquid elect. tape is awesome stuff-just be sure you secure the cover so you don't end up with a can of hard gunk!  :whistling: ::banghead::  For now I'll be on the lookout for a new transducer cable.  But if I don't come across one by say-next spring-then splicing it'll be.   ;)
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Hi Woody. Just to give you a little more feedback.

I also got a new Lowrance last year and decided to move my old one (also a Lowrance) to the front. I kept both transducers in the back and needed an extension cable for the new front location. I can't remember what the extension cable cost but I want to say $30? Anyway it didn't work because the two transducers interfered with each other. So if I want to have two depth finders in the boat - I have to move the old transducer to the front - which I haven't done yet. And then of course I don't need the extension.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I was considering moving the transducer of the Clearwater Classic to the front-on the trolling motor, and I still might do it.  But right now I'd rather spend more time on the water than in the garage messing around with it.  Chances are I'll put this on the back burner for now-a good winter project (as if I don't have enough lined up already!)  ::hittingself::

What I'd REALLY like to do is get a new Lowrance (a LMS-522c or maybe the LMS-527c iGPS w/ DF)  :whistling:  put the new one on the dash, and then put one up front-and the other in the back of the boat.  Then no one will ask me with "How deep is it here?", they can see for themselves-and learn how to read the flasher or LCD graph.   ;)

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
How about this for a hair brained thought. If you are splicing cable any way can you splice in a Y ( where it stays high and dry )  with your cable tv type connectors and then run both units off one trans ducer.
« Last Edit: August 08/09/07, 01:50:54 PM by tripnchip »

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i dont think that would work... each unit would be trying to send and receive it's own signal throught the same transducer.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
told you it was a hair brained thught  :ROTFLMAO:

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
bet it hurt too  :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
looking for the pain kiler now, just don't know if it should be pill forum or liquid  :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Best play it safe...take the pill form first and wash it down with the liquid!   :ROTFLMAO:

*Just kidding!  ::hittingself::

www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Old Goat

• Minnow
I have zercom stuff NIB