Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Brandon area lakes  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
The past week or so I've been trying to get out fishing more than normal.  But being as I'm "new" to the area I have to start from scratch.  And with all the lakes I have to choose from, I decided it's best to pick a few lakes, and fish them as much as I can, and try to learn them.  Sure I've fished a few of the area lakes before, but I am by no means an expert on finding fish.

So I take what knowledge of fish that I do have and apply that to any lake I go on.  Look for wind direction (and where it's been coming from for the last day or so), look for structure & look for weedlines.  I've also started paying more attention to barometric pressure, moon phase, water temp-and any whispers or rumors I might here at the baitshop or elsewhere.  And although some of the information is outdated, the DNR "Lakefinder" site is a good source to see roughly how many, and what type of fish are in the lakes.  I do as much research on a lake before I go out-even marking on a map the areas I think might be productive.

DNR Lakefinder site link:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

Here are some pics of one particular outting. 

My wife with her 3# Largemouth bass-her biggest caught to date.

My Daughter Kelsey with her first Largemouth

A 9-1/2" Bluegill I caught.  (We actually caught a quite a few of these!)

*All fish were caught, photo'd & released.  In a nutshell-I never found the walleye I was in search of, but my family caught fish and had a blast doing it! 

We were using slip bobber rigs, with crawlers & leeches.  And Lindy rigs with crawlers & leeches.  We were fishing between 15'-30' deep, on sharp breaks, weedline edges and large boulder covered bottom.   ::fishing::

**Brandon is a small town approximately 20 miles west of Alexandria on I-94
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
very nice... learning the lake is half the fun.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Great pics bro! Sounds like you guys had a great time out on the water! Thanks for sharing your day with us. We'll have to try and line up a long weekend later this summer or early fall to hit the water together somewhere between you and I. Have a great weekend Woody!  ::fishing::  ::drunks::
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman