Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: smoked venison roast  (Read 2977 times)

Offline labs4me

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
In an effort to continually find new ways to process my own deer and get my family to increse it's consumption of venison I try many new things. This one is a winner! Either eaten as a roast or as we prefer sliced into lunch meat. Especially if you want true lean venison for lunch meat as opposed to summer sausage.

For the brine:

1 cup Morton's tender Quick
1 gallon of water... (buy a jug of filtered drinking water)
2 tsp. of minced garlic (the kind in the little jar, fresh doesn't work as well)
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke
1 jabanaro pepper - sliced
1-2 dashes (tsp?) pickling spice
small dash of whole mustard seed

-bring brine just to a boil and salt is dissolved
-let cool completely
-put roast(s) in plastic zip-lok bag or plastic or glass container with brine to totally cover meat
-marinate 5 days in the fridge to totally cure the meat
-smoke for 4-6 hours with hickory chips or sawdust. Make sure the wood is wet to get a good smouldering smoke going
-bring internal temp of meat to at least 165 degrees by raising temp in smoker or finish in the oven at 200-220 degrees till thermometer reads 165.
-slice very thin...

I'm doing another 5-6 pounds of roasts right now and I slice it as thin as Arby's roast beef. Vaccume pack in 1/2-1 pound packages (if you work fast enough... it gets eaten real quick once it's sliced ) and take out of freezer as needed. Awesome on good bread with a slice of swiss and a little mayo or horseradish sauce... MMM MMM

I'm also gonna try warming it in a sauce pan and adding a little BBQ sauce and making warm BBQ sandwiches on crusty rolls.

Good Luck!

Ken

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Mmmm... I'll have to try this in the fall.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
you still have venison roasts left?
I think I was out of meat in the spring.  and that was with 2 deer.  I have to get at least 3 this fall.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds darn good...  I just don't have a smoker so I will maybe have to do it in the over or on the grill... 

Offline labs4me

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nope out of venison roasts... typed this up last winter.  The last little roast got used for those Cuban Sandwiches I posted.   I just got to thinking about this again because I pulled out my last pack of the sliced smoked roast and made sandwiches this week.  It is tasty... I had a confirmed venison hater try it and she loved it and asked for more!

Scott, we did it at a friend's house once on his Weber kettle grill.  Just close off the dampers and make sure the coals are cooked down.  Add some wood to the coals and you should be good to go.  You don't want to BBQ it... just a slow smoke to get it up to temp.

Good Luck!

Ken