Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: USING GROUND BLINDS???  (Read 5414 times)

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
How many of you have hunted using a store bought ground blind and how was it for you and what kind do you have  I'm also looking for some do's and dont's for hunting out of a blind and also how soon should I set mine up and how good should I brush it in  I just bought my Ground Max Escape at the deer classic this year and have practiced from it and man is that loud in there when the bow goes off and I shoot a Bowtech Allegiance I was like WOW what a difference pretty cool though cant wait to smoooke a deer at eye level that has got to be a rush for sure and now I can take my 7yo son along this year it will be awesome because he already is shooting with me at 20yds and hitting the deer in the vitals with his little Brave bow I put my old sight bracket on there for him and it came with a C-peep so he just cant wait to sit in the blind with me this fall and watch me shoot one I'm just jacked!!!
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Match the inside of your blind to what you wear, check that, reverse it. Face paint or a cheap balaclava works great. I wear double bulls ninja gear, now if your not interested in spending that kind of money, go to steve and barrys and buyt their black fleece hoodie and pants, under armor works great as well. still wear scentproof boots.

Keep the camo netting down, they dont like the black hole. Make sure atleast your back third to half is covered, otherwise your silhouetting your self. Which is not so good.

Take your time and brush it in good!

Heres a pic in the middle of an eufala field of my double bull matrix, which in my mind is the best blind on the market. Some of these blinds that have flooring in them, or you roll up in a ball is just a mind phunk of engineering you might as well go to walmart and buy a dome tent for the amount of noise your going to make.
I opened the windows on the backside a little bit to see the sunset.

If its going to rain, take it down, your just going to put more weight on it, same goes as sun, you really want something faded white in a "dark" woods?

your heart will be pounding when your staring at a deer in inches not feet down.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Goldtip, The Escape is the blind I am thinking of getting, did you get the pro or the delux? I was thinking the Delux just for the extra room. Can you shoot out of it stand or setting?
« Last Edit: July 07/30/07, 01:30:52 PM by tripnchip »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I think that using a ground blind makes it that much more of a hunt. You'll be so much closer to the deer and on the same level (eyesight) as they are which really makes it more difficult. If your going to use one I say use natural cover as much as possible. What I mean is don't make the blind so obvious. Use a blowdown or a bush, brush pile or something out there as you natural cover and than put the blind up in accordance to that. Another thing you can do is put it up months in advance so they are really used to it. I have hunted out of one many times but have not shot a deer from one. I almost got a very large buck one year with a rifle but he had me on a stare down and I could not move. He finally fled the scene. Right now I have my blind out by me feeder and sit in it occasionally just to get a feel for being so close to the deer. I swear they bust me everytime. Although they do bust me they always give me plenty of time for a shot so I guess they aren't really "busting" me. I do feel like they always know i'm there. Good Luck!

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
tripnchip I bought the escape deluxe and there is plenty of room for 2 guys in there and then some  its pretty nice the one corner has a full length zipper on it for getting in and out and setup is less than a minute and so is the takedown maybe 2 for this folds up nice so you can easily get it back in the carrying bag  it also has 4 huge windows and a little one on each side of each corner so 12 total  the coolest part would be the fact that it has a brush loop every 4" around the whole top perimater and there is also a big opening on top that you could use to let some air in or maybe goose hunting and on the inside there is a bow hook that hangs from the ceiling and there is also a couple pouches for acc and there is a pocket sown right to the blind with a velcro closure to keep your stakes in so you dont have to worry about carrying them seperate and losing them  I like the fact that it has the black interior tried mine out last winter  coon hunting at night just set it up and they paid no attention to it and shot 3 in 2 nights and wounded one more found the next day  and to answer your other ? I dont think standing and shooting is a good idea I'm 6' and sitting seams to be the best way for me when I bought mine I got 2 double bull stools with it  but for the money you cant go wrong
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks goldtiip, sounds like it will be a good one for my price range

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
watch cabelas adds they have them on sale from time to time and if you sign up for cabelas email flyers once in a while they have web exclusive sales for us computer folk  even if it dont go on sale pay the 150 woth every penny and make sure you get the blind stool dont think of trying a camping chair [bad idea] the triangular ones are the way to go pretty comfy to let me know when you get it and let me know your opinion

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
will do goldtip and thanks again. will have to take a closer look at cabela''s, my daughter works  in their main branch