Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minimum Draw Weight Lowered  (Read 15596 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
In a nut shell, the minimum draw weight for legal bow hunting is now 30 lbs in MN.  Here's the big long story if you like.

Regulation change makes bowhunting more accessible; Youth and women most likely to benefit from 30-pound minimum (2007-07-17)
Beginning this fall, the minimum draw weight for hunting bows will be 30 pounds, a reduction from 40 pounds required in previous years by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The move is aimed at making bowhunting more accessible to younger hunters and others who might have difficulty drawing a 40-pound bow. It shouldn't affect the effectiveness of archery equipment for harvesting deer.

"The 40-pound minimum draw weight was put in place when most bows and arrows were made of wood, and compound bows were just becoming an option for hunters," said Ryan Bronson, DNR hunter recruitment and retention supervisor. "Technology has vastly improved the efficiency of archery tackle. Modern compound bows, carbon and aluminum arrows, and high tech broad heads are capable of delivering more kinetic energy than traditional gear."

Bronson said he became interested in changing the draw-weight regulation when he learned of Wisconsin's 30-pound draw weight restriction from a colleague. "She pointed out that Wisconsin had more bowhunters per capita than Minnesota, and they didn't seem to have any problems with the more permissive regulation."

After taking public input on the topic and consulting with archery engineers and bowhunting leaders in the state, the DNR supported legislation to alter the minimum draw weight. The provision passed into law as part of a larger environment and natural resources bill.

Bronson predicts that the primary beneficiaries of the regulation change will be younger hunters and women, both demographic groups that are under-represented in the bowhunting ranks. "The physical strength required to draw a bow can hinder some people from participating," Bronson said. "Our license data supports what a lot of archery instructors tell us, that many smaller shooters can't quite handle a 40-pound bow."

The DNR estimates that more than 80,000 Minnesotans now hunt deer with a bow and arrow every year, compared to 70,000 as recently as 2000. Regulatory changes, including the creation of the All-Season Deer License and allowing hunters to take deer with both firearms and archery gear have contributed to the increase. Expanding urban hunting opportunities have also provided additional access for bowhunters.

Archery license sales to youth have increased 25 percent since 2002, from 6,000 to 7,500 annually.

"There is no doubt that bowhunting has more growth potential," Bronson said. "As urban areas and their firearms discharge ordinances expand, more areas are becoming de-facto deer refuges. Bowhunters are the best deer management tools we have available in these areas."

Programs like the Archery in Schools Program are also fueling the growing interest in archery, but the popular DNR school archery program provides only basic instruction.

Moving new shooters to the next level, either as target shooters or bowhunters, requires at least two things: places for archers to shoot, and instruction to teach them how to shoot better.

The DNR and the Archery Trade Association (ATA) have teamed up on an effort to identify archery facilities in Minnesota, and to put them on a searchable website so new and existing archers can find them. The Web site www.archerysearch.com is maintained by the ATA, but DNR staff has been submitting data to make it as complete as possible.

"We found that Minnesota has a lot more archery ranges than many archers realize," Bronson said. "Most people in the metro area have a shooting range within 30 minutes of their homes, so we are trying to help them find the most convenient location."

Finding instructors can be more problematic than finding ranges. Some retailers offer instruction, but other highly skilled archery instructors can be difficult to locate. The DNR is working with archery organizations in Minnesota to post their instructor information on the www.archerysearch.com Web site, and the DNR's Shooting Sports Education Center facilitates training to increase the supply of certified instructors.

Young people interested in developing their archery skills have more options than adults. Several programs, including the 4-H Shooting Sports and Wildlife Program, Junior Olympic Archery Development (JOAD) cubs, and After School Archery Programs (ASAP) already exist in Minnesota. Additionally, many parks and recreation departments, summer camps, and schools offer summer archery programs as well.

The Minnesota bowhunting season opens Sept. 15. For more information, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us.

For information about becoming a certified archery instructor, contact the Minnesota Shooting Sports Education Center at (218) 327-0583.

If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Thanks for all of this information Grute...I have been thinking about trying bowhunting lately, but I have never shot a bow in my life.  I usually just sit in the stand with my husband and videotape.  Not that it's not exciting, because it is, I'm just thinking I'd like to try it myself sometime..maybe sooner than I previously thought.  I checked out the archery search site that you posted, and to my surprise there is a ton of archery sites that are very close to my house.  And the majority of them have archery lessons...sooooo now that I know that, I'm actually thinking of signing up for them.. I should probably think about getting my own bow soon...but what if I don't like it..then what do you do?  Do you think they have them there, where you could just rent them?  So you could try it out first, before actually going and buying a new bow?  Hhhmmm...something to ponder on I guess.  Well thanks a bunch, you got me thinking anyway...!  gg

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I should probably think about getting my own bow soon...but what if I don't like it..then what do you do?  Do you think they have them there, where you could just rent them?  So you could try it out first, before actually going and buying a new bow?  Hhhmmm...something to ponder on I guess.  Well thanks a bunch, you got me thinking anyway...!  gg

I don't think it is a question of if you will like it or not. How about do you have the time and are you willing to commit to it? Bow hunting is really different than rifle/gun hunting. In my opinion it is much better!! I had gun hunted before and the adrenaline rush and feeling I got when I was 10 feet above a deer with a bow in hand was nothing like seeing a buck come in while rifle hunting. My first night of bow hunting in my life I stalked a doe to within about 20 yds. That is its own story. Besides hunting you can get into bows just for the shooting aspect. I love shooting my bow and right now having a target in my yard has been great. I am shooting more than I ever have and I love it. When I first got into it I knew for sure that that season I was going to committ to the hunting portion of owning a bow. Knowing that I bought good but cheap. I'm actually still shooting that bow today. I did take a few years off to pheasant hunt but now that I can walk out my back door and hunt I am back in. That is the thing that really took me away from bow hunting. It is much more of a time commitment. You need to know the deer far more than if you have a rifle. While hunting you may see a lot but are they in range? That is where it gets fun.

Anyways.....that is my 2 cents. Sorry if rambled a bit there ;) The point I was trying to make is that chance are you will love shooting a bow. The real question is if you want to commit time to it.

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
I should probably think about getting my own bow soon...but what if I don't like it..then what do you do?  Do you think they have them there, where you could just rent them?  So you could try it out first, before actually going and buying a new bow?  Hhhmmm...something to ponder on I guess.  Well thanks a bunch, you got me thinking anyway...!  gg

I don't think it is a question of if you will like it or not. How about do you have the time and are you willing to commit to it? Bow hunting is really different than rifle/gun hunting. In my opinion it is much better!! I had gun hunted before and the adrenaline rush and feeling I got when I was 10 feet above a deer with a bow in hand was nothing like seeing a buck come in while rifle hunting. My first night of bow hunting in my life I stalked a doe to within about 20 yds. That is its own story. Besides hunting you can get into bows just for the shooting aspect. I love shooting my bow and right now having a target in my yard has been great. I am shooting more than I ever have and I love it. When I first got into it I knew for sure that that season I was going to committ to the hunting portion of owning a bow. Knowing that I bought good but cheap. I'm actually still shooting that bow today. I did take a few years off to pheasant hunt but now that I can walk out my back door and hunt I am back in. That is the thing that really took me away from bow hunting. It is much more of a time commitment. You need to know the deer far more than if you have a rifle. While hunting you may see a lot but are they in range? That is where it gets fun.

Anyways.....that is my 2 cents. Sorry if rambled a bit there ;) The point I was trying to make is that chance are you will love shooting a bow. The real question is if you want to commit time to it.

Hey Mayfly..thanks for your 2 cents  ;) I really appreciate it.  I also like you have a pretty good set up for hunting up north.  Our camper sits on quite a few acres of nice hunting land and the deer come in like clock work every morning and every evening.  We already have two really nice stands set up on our property and the deer literally have a trail that goes right underneath both of them.  We usually (us adults) don't take any shots at the deer on our land, because #1 it seems a little to easy knowing when and where they are and #2 because we'd like the herd to continue to grow for our future deerhunters.  Each year whichever niece or nephew I have that is turning deer hunting age, we let them go out to our stands and have their first deer hunting experience on their own...So it's pretty cool.  Of course I do not live there, like you do, but we do pretty much make it up every weekend all throughout the fall season.  I do not actually plan on going bow hunting THIS year, I will still go out to the stand with my husband and video tape.  I would like to practice for a long time so I could actually give it my best shot.  I also would like to try it on state land first, in a way I feel like it's too easy on our own land.  We know exactly where they will be and what time they will be coming...so how much fun is that?  I like the excitment of going on state land and not knowing what will be coming by your stand because you haven't been there everyday seeing them walk by.  Boy, I'm sure getting excited talking about this....I know bow hunting is a big commitment and you have to put in a lot of time...I think I'm totally up for all of that...So do you know any really good babysitters...maybe they do overnights up north?   :ROTFLMAO:  Thanks again Mayfly for your 2 cents worth...I think I gave ya at least 75 cents back...sorry..I tend to ramble...so I've heard anyway.  Take Care!  GG

Offline GuideGirlsMom

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Mouse--Maybe U should Practice with the Bow that Billy made first before U even think about Bow Hunting :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
GG, you will enjoy no other hunting more then bow hunting. Yes it takes more dedication but it is worth every min. of it. Even though you go out and film with Chad now it will be a different story when the bow is in your hands. When that deer comes in you'll be talking to yourself even faster about staying com, the steps of the shot, shot placement, when and where to take the shot, and if it is mr.big you may even get rid of some rocks with out knowing it. :ROTFLMAO:  As much as you enjoy the out doors you will love bow hunting.One thing I would suggest is for you to start doing exercises that will help build your neck, back and shoulder muscles. Start out with the bow set a little lighter then you can really handle until you get your forum down and then bring the bow up in weight a little at a time letting your strength build to that weight each time before moving up again.
 What am i trying to coach you for, you have a good coach right there.

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
Good idea forthe simple fact of getting more women and yougsters into the sport but not very smart as far as the numbers of wounded deer go and especially not good in the eyes of PETA(people eating tasty animals) this is all they need for more leaverage against hunters sometimes I feel like MN DNR has their heads up their arses is this their idea of good reputation especially when during hunting seasons in the past all you read in the cuffs and collars section is how people are finding wounded deer all over the place and even worse ones with arrows in them when it was 40lb minimum I know some of them are just bad shoots I guess just another reason they should have left well enough alone and maybe tried something to increase are shooter buck numbers dont ya think
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Actually I think its a darn good idea.  We'll get more archers out there to help control the herd.  Shooting bucks has been proven to not be an effective way of herd control. 

Adult women who are accurate or not, know the difference.  Youth are -- or should be with an adult mentor who should know if they're accurate or not.  The only time a hunter should take a shot is if they know their target and whats beyond it. 

Its shot placement that matters the most not the poundage.  Many many people have shot deer with recurves that probably wont penetrate as deep as some youth bows strung ito 30 or so pounds.

As long as the hunter is accurate and KNOWS their target, its just as good as a beginner adult whos pulling 65lbs.

Thats just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: August 08/20/07, 07:11:52 AM by Grute Man »

Offline DOUBLE80

I agree, with the the advancements in technology for bows and equipment there is no reason why a 30 lb bow could not be used effectively to harvest a deer. Arrows have come full circle from cedar to carbon and with smaller diamater and proper wall thickness these have plenty of zip and penetration to do the job as long as the hunter has been practicing and ready to be out there.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Double80,

Welcome to MNO site!  Thanks for your thoughts on this topic!  ::welcome::
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake