Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: questions  (Read 4812 times)

Offline J.J.

well i'm trying to finish a project in school and i need a few interviews done. and like my dad figured theres no better place than here to do it.

1. How long have you been ice fishing?

2. Do you have any fishing memories that stand out?

3. What has been your greatest experience as a fisherman?

4.Where do you prefer to fish?

5. What do you prefer to fish for?

6.What gear do you generally use?

7.Why do you ice fish?
 :)
thanx

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn

Over 30 years.

Every fishing trip has great memories, my best memories are when i was young with my dad and copying everything he did, now my memories are of me taking my kids fishing, the excitement on there faces when they catch something is priceless.

Hard question to answer, but my most sucessful experience was in 1986 on Big Stone Lake, catching 4 Walleyes over 12#'s in the same day. (All fish were released)

Wherever the latest Panfish bite is happening, I primarily fish Western Wisconsin for Panfish, Upper Red lake, St. Croix River and Mille Lacs.

Panfish and Walleye.

2# test mono for most panfish and 8# Fireline for Walleye under normal conditions. Loomis or St. Croix rods with Tica reels.

7.Why do you ice fish?

Because the beer stays cold all the time. ;D
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
spinach, that is the perfect answer for number seven.

listen guys, this is for a project my kid is doing at school, and he only needs one or two more people to respond and he will have it taken care of.
anybody have a couple minutes to answer these questions?
thanks  JS
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
1. Really got into it about 5 years ago.
2. The memorie I remember the most is the first time we went up to red lake and my brother locked the keys in the truck.  And of course no spare keys. (every trip after that we ALWAYS have an extra set)
3. My greatest time experience is catching my first red lake pike and after putting it back in the lake catching 2 crappies within 30 sec.
4. Always fun to make the 5 hour trip up to red and having a chance to catch those URL slabs
5. Mostly panfish and walleye
6. 3lb line for pannies and 6lb line for walleye.  And my new favorite ice rod made my midwest rod and reel
7. Because it is cool outside (hate hot weather)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

I've been ice fishing since I was about 10 years old

Yes I do...I think my best and most memorable memories are from when I was in my early teens. My Aunt and Uncle would take me to Mille Lacs to stay in a sleeper. We always had a good time. We would make fishing shows and comercials with the video camera to pass the time. I was also always afraid of the ice cracking. There were a few times the house would shake, man that was spooky.

I'll come back to this later today......

Recently I prefer to fish Mille Lacs. My dad bought a place up there probably 4 years ago now. I try and spend as much time up there as possible.

I love catching walleyes. I also am a huge fan of Crappies.

Just the basics. I buy what I can afford. I don't spend my money on $100.00 rods. I usually out fish whoever is in my boat (open water). Wanna go fishing?

7.Why do you ice fish?

Its a great way to spend my free time, especially in the summer. I'm really not much of an ice fisherman. Imagine a perfect summer evening sitting in a boat on a glass lake with a couple bobbers in the water. Doesn't get much better than that!

Offline Mr Harry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
JJ
 ? 1. I have been fishing since I was about 15, so that would be 40 years. ?I grew up on a farm and all we did was work, there wasn't any time for pleasure. ?When my father died, my mother remarried a good man that loved to fish every Sunday, so thats how I was introduced to fishing.
 ? ?2. ?I have many good memories. ?Maybe the most memorable would be when the family along with two other families would drive up to L.O.W. for Lake Trout fishing in the fall, up to Sioux Narrows in Canada.
 ?3. My greatest moments experience as a fisherman would be introducing my children to fishing and watching them catch fish and the large smile on their face. ?I think my children have both caught larger fish than I but I don't mind having that happen one bit!!
 ? 4. I grew up fishing Rush Lake south of Perham and also Blueberry Lake east of Menagha. ?Now days I fish Red Lake alot.
 ? ?5.I mainly fish for walleye and crappie. ?I also love to fish for sunnies. ?I also enjoy spearing for the tiger and wolf of the lake, the northern, the feeling after you have speared the northern that had come in the hole 60 m.p.h trying to get one of my two live decoys, is electrifying, I shake for a half hour afterwards!! ?I have great respect for northerns, if they were 100lbs, they would be like crocodiles!!
 ? ? 6. ?I am old fashioned and still use alot of old stuff...little joes (home made) jigs (home made). ?My son has introduced me to the newer hooks, glow hooks, newer style line. ?I would use what ever line was cheapest, (monofiliment)!!
 ? ? 7. ?When I first started to ice fish, there were very few people who ice fished so the lakes had very few people on them, we basically could fish any where on the lake. ?It was nice to know someone who had a jeep (four wheel drive), this was rare, most people just had a pickup with two wheel drive. ?Hopefully there wouldn't be much snow or else you would have to fish close to the main road. ?I like to ice fish because you could leave your house in one spot and the fish would always be there!! ?As I get older the ice fishing spirit is leaving me because I now think more about safety and I don't enjoy the battle of man versus nature so much, I guess I am becoming soft but I continue to go because my son loves the sport very much, and he needs someone to go with.
 ? This much be a project for a English class, I wish you best of luck. ?When I was in high school I had a difficult time writing also, so my teacher asked me what my interests were and I told her, I enjoyed ice fishing, so every paper I wrote was about ice fishing. ?She learned alot about ice fishing and me and I learned how to write and express myself through words!!

Offline BUCKHEAD

• Outdoorsman
1. Fishing for 49 yrs.
2. Fishing with my Dad in 1960 on Mille Lacs when the ice dropped one foot.  Everyone dove out of the ice house & that nite when we went on shore.  We could not get off becuz ice was heaved 10 - 15' in the air.
3. Greatest experinece...I use to fish the Mississippi River as a kid with cane poles.  Next thing you know your cane pole would be floating in the water & I'd swim out after it & bring in whatever I had on it.
4. I like to fish the Mississippi River.
5. I like to fish for crappies and walleyes.
6. Now that I'm older in can afford a spinning reel & troll with casting reels.
7. I ice fish becuz it's easier to keep the fish fresh becuz of the cold.  And also like Spinach says the beer stays cold!!  And most of all to meet all the good friends like I did on Red Lake.

Offline PUTZ

• Outdoorsman
 Been fishing for about an hour now , and if they don't start bitting soon I will be an X fisherman  ;D
PUTZ
Lets talk this out over A campfire.
And A cool Miller lite.

Offline J.J.

Grandpa i figured out why i'm having such a hard time in school thanks for the help! ;D