Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: whisker biscuit? yes no?  (Read 8728 times)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
I like the whisker biscuit because I can have an arrow knocked and not worry about it moving around.  And it doesn't seem to hurt the flight of the arrow at all... but I have noticed the fletching starting to tear from all my rescent practicing...  is that going to be a normal thing?
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
yup, and your fletchings also going to get real wavy too, not to mention you get any moisture into the fibers or "whiskers" and it freezes, you can kiss your chances of killing your deer goodbye unless the deer is deaf. Whisker biscuits suck in my opinion, if your really concerned about your arrow falling off, get a ripcord, its an extra fifteen bucks....

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
I am archery illiterate...  what is a ripcord.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
the ripcord is a drop rest, I switched to a drop rest from the biscuit because of my blazers being torn off all the time. and in my opinion i wont look back, those drop rests are sweet.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I hear the WB is the most popular rest but I tried it once with my old bow an hated it.  Within 12 shots the wiskers and my fletchings were getting all twisted up and I could barely hit a hay bale at 20 yards.  Arrows were going cirly que and veering off all down the lane and landing everywhere.  I took it back immediatly and traded it in for a Quick Tune.  Thats not a great rest but it was better than the buscuit.

Chris and Roosterslayer are right.  The ripcord is a really good one and it does offer containment if thats an issue.

If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i'll have to look into this then.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
QAD also has a drop away with containment but I think the ripcord is probably better quality.  Heres a link: http://www.amazon.com/QAD-Ultra-Rest-Drop-Away-Hunter-RH/dp/B000R3CJJK

The rest I have now has NO containment but its ultra quiet.  Its a DMI Expert I

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
do you simply bolt these things on, or do they need adjusting?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
do you simply bolt these things on, or do they need adjusting?

Id take it to a pro shop for the initial set up.  I tried putting my sight on and went to Bwana's and JRs first words were "Well you got the site on the wrong side of your riser."   ::hittingself::  I had no clue.  So I let him do ALL the work on it and its shooting great.

There will be plenty of detailed work to get it level, the string to pull it up as you draw...

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thats exactly it jon.

I use the Vapor Trail Limb Driver, thats the rest I like.

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
I use a Vapor Trail Limb Driver my self and love them, They are what I would say as the best dropaway out there

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
Hey bigfish I will give you my .02 on this touchy subject I have a trophy taker shakey hunter on my allegiance and love it has never failed on me and 100% arrow clearance everytime fully adjustable and easy to tune my buddy shoots the NAP dropaway rest and has never shot more consistent in his life been hunting 25yrs but I like the trophy taker better myself because your arrow cant pop off as easy on the shakey hunter model and this year they came out with a new surrounded style another good option and as far as the ripcord goes great rest not a very good design for 2 reasons one is that because of the long fingers you are limited to what vanes you can shoot and reason 2 would be that I could see it being tricky to get a piece of felt to lay down nice in the narrow V and around the fingers to keep it quiet the only vanes I tried and couldnt shoot from my pronghorn trophy taker were the quikspins because there wasnt enough clearance this year trying blazers so far clearing perfect every time  oh ya one other thing is that we shoot with a group every wed night until hunting season and I just laugh my a$$ off at this one guy that shoots this old POS bow with aluminum arrows that are heavy enough to use on cape buffalo and to top it off he shoots a wisker biscuit and the kicker is he is constantly complaining about how come one day I shoot good and the next day I'm a foot high or a foot low or whatever he is whining about that day and all I do is laugh not to mention when he shoots the damn thing you can hear it on the other side of the yard and it's a big yard LOL!!! Good Luck in your search
« Last Edit: August 08/20/07, 12:32:54 AM by GOLDTIP »
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
DMI Expert 1 or 2 and you never have to worry about fletching contact with your rest and its very quiet.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
ok, so I had some cabelas points and I desided to stop in there after the game fair last weekend.  I went looking and found a QAD drop away rest that they had on sale for $80.  so I grabbed the last one and had their guy put it on... well about 10 minutes later he says to me, "today is your lucky day. " that one is bad and it was the last one he had on the shelf, so he grabbed one of the next model up , the QAD Pro HD Rest and slaps that on for the same price. 

so I got a $130 rests for $80 and then $18 off that from my points.  So that worked out pretty good.  sure does work nice.  and it will contain the arrow when it's nocked too.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Looks like a nice rest.  Did he cover the forks with mole skin for you?

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
Looks like a nice rest.  Did he cover the forks with mole skin for you?
yup!

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
We are fortunate to have many great rests available to us in this day in time.  Every person has their favorite rest.  And in most cases....most of the rests will work...But some better than others.  The facts about each rest can aid you in deciding which one is best for your set up......

When an arrow leaves your bow it does not push straight out.  it flexes in a motion that is related to your way of releasing (down with a release aid shooter and in toward your riser with a finger shooter).  A whisker biscuit can be a great rest for hunters who prefer to spot and stalk or those who shoot at closer distances.  But a biscuit can interfere with how that arrow flexes out of your bow.  (To be honest you may not notice the distance in your groups until you stretched out to longer yardages)  But it does interfere a bit.  But what a great rest for a kid.  It's safe, simple, and can be just the thing to get them excited about the sport.   

Many drop-aways are the answer for hunters all over the world because they allow that arrow to flex the way it naturally wants to flex with no interference.  You get great fletch clearance and remarkable arrow flight most of the time.  Now if a drop rest doesn't produce the flight you desire..... try a prong style rest.  The arrow sits on top of two arms and allows for the fletch to travel between the two.  With a prong style rest you can better control the spine (stiffness) of your arrow by adjusting the rest's spring tension.  Sometimes this may be the answer your looking for.  The only way to know what works for you is to try it.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 08/27/07, 05:15:49 PM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I've never seen one in action and I can't view the video on they're site.

So does the rest stay up in the position shown until you shoot?
What about fletching contact with the bar?

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
you talking about the one I got Joe?  the rest stays up until you shot and then goes down... or once its locked, you can simply un-lock it to un-nock an arrow if need be. it falls away before fletching hits...

I really like it.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline birddogger

I love my Whisker Biscuit.  I think it's a great hunting rest.  The accuracey affected out to 35 yards is minimal.  The slight waves in the vanes don't affect accuracey either, and it doesn't constantly rip your vanes off.  When tuned properly it is a very good, simple, trouble-free rest.  When I'm hunting that's onr less thing to woory about.  Everybody has their opinion and preference.  This is just mine

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
Another very good rest that holds your arrow just like a Wiscker Biscket is the New Hostage by Diamond Archery it to has brissles but it supports the arrow in 3 spots so that you get Fletching clearance..weather it be 4" feathers or Blazer vanes it makes no difference what you have on it will work....I am going to try and get a pic up

I have shot the Wiscker Biscet in the past but always had a Kick out of the arrow at about 32 yards so I never really stuck with it because of that..I shoot a lot of open areas where my avg shot is 33-45 yards and if i am having a arrow kick out at 32 yards well I am leery of shooting it so i went to the Dropaways and never gave a Capture rest another thought till the Hostage rest came out this spring I got one from the guys at Bow tech and did some playing around with it and WOW.. This rest tunes in at any distance and has takdriving accuracy at any distance I shot it from 10-70 yards with no kicks or tuning problems....
« Last Edit: September 09/11/07, 10:43:48 PM by awb500magman »

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Here's what I got. Its the DMI Expert 1.  It has ZERO containment but is as quiet as a shadow.  If I have problems where I need containment, then I'll switch but I really like it.  Also, it drops back behind the shelf so it actually goes lower than the shelf and you don't have to worry about fletching/vane clearance at all.

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
The WB is a good rest and I think the selling point is the simplicity of the rest. Very little to tinker with and it does it's job. I know guys that have been using it for years and shoot very well w/it.
However, they do eat fletching up over time. Additionally, it has been mentioned it's shortcoming w/the moisture and noise. If you don't hunt in any wet conditions or when it freezes you will be fine. I just can't get the weathermen to agree on making it nice on the occasions I get out so I'm in the drop-away realm w/rests.
I've used the Trophy Takers and more recently the PSE Phantom. Never had an issue w/either one and trying to determine which is best is basically splitting hair. The Ripcord is probably one of the most popular and it achieves what you're looking for.
Enjoy the latest in archery rests and most importantly, get out there and enjoy life from a tree stand!
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.