Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: HOW HIGH AND WHY?  (Read 5027 times)

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
just seeing how high everybody places treestands (fixed ones) cause everybody tells me I dont need to hunt as high as I do but I've never been busted ever while in a tree
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well i place almost all my portables 16-20 feet off the ground depending on the cover behind me to break up my outline, but during rifle season i have hunted out of built stands that are maybe 8-10 feet off the ground and also seen and taken deer. I place my stands high on public ground cause the deer seem to be aware they are being hunted all the time and never let their guard down. Also when bear hunting i dont think it really matters how high your stand is, the bear still know you are there.

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
I generally go 12-14...a little nervous of heights. Haven't gotten picked off, but i'm careful with scent and very still. I like the advantage of a not-so-steep shot angle, since the trails where I hunt are pretty close to my stand trees.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I say go as high as you feel comfortable and are safe at. I usually use ladder stands that are anywhere from 10 - 14 feet high. As long as you use the wind, control your scent and hunt stiil and quiet you should be ok. Use any other branches or leaves as natural cover to help assist you.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I'd say on average most of my tree stands are around 12 feet. As mentioned above, playing the wind and keeping still are far more important than height. 
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It just depends on the area. I like to get as high as I can. LUVNLIFE