Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear Baiting  (Read 2885 times)

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
The 2007 Black Bear Hunting Season starts saturday Sept 1st. 
My baits in northern minnesota are doing well.  Should be a good hunt.  The central minnesota baits are being hit less often.  There appears to be a lot of natural foods in the woods this year. 

Offline luvn-luvnlife

• Outdoorsman
  • luvnlifes personal deer dragger
I am frustrated and ready to call it a year, my baits aren't getting hit,  there are so many berries out there my baits don't compete. I've tried everything apples, bread with molasses, bread with fryer grease, donuts, fish guts, maple syrup by the gallons,  even threw the skunks some t-bone steak. I had planned on feeding them some lead for dessert, looks like I'll have to wait for another year.   

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
 ;D ??? DONT GIVE UP MIKE !! once the weather settles to the fall season and cools down the bear will come aroumd and stay when they find your bait ! just dont put to much out at first as it will be a wast if there not there .

woodchuck
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Anyone in area 41 that is guideing or would guide??

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
Woodchuck is right - just put enough out to keep things going.  Things will eventually turn around.  Hang in there.

Offline luvn-luvnlife

• Outdoorsman
Alright just got back from up north baiting, one bait was hit, the bear sat in the bait. Hits are still sparatic. They eat the donuts and blueberry bagels with maple syrup on the and thats it.  I didn't want to scent up the woods to much this close to season so I didn't scout for sign, but I didn't see any scat around the front of the bait. The berries are on their last batch hopefully this wil help. How long do you guys keep baiting if you are getting hit this sparatic? Another bear hunter told me it is probably a boar and it has a big home range its checking out. Any advice at this point is good advice.   

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;D if you got him or her coming in just try a 1/2 larger feeding and see if you get any scat near by ! as a bear is like a pig , they eat and scat not far away and wont stray far away fronm the food source !!
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline luvn-luvnlife

• Outdoorsman
I'll try this woodchuck, hopefully I wont have to bait much longer. And I hope luvnlife can drag bear, its payback time for all the deer I've dragged out for her. HEE HEE HE :ROTFLMAO:E 

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;D  !! HEE! HEE !!!!! LOL make her suffer mike , that will teach her for listening so good when you taught her how to shoot and hunt !! paybacks are heck !! AND YOU CAN BE LUVN IT ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE CABIN . HEE HEE  along with ya !! my friend

woodchuck
« Last Edit: August 08/30/07, 09:38:41 PM by WoodChuck »