Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trapline tales  (Read 20085 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I know all trappers have a few things that have happened on the line, so let's hear a few of them. I have a bunch but one that come to mind is getting bit by a fox.

I was running 2 lines one had about 20 sets on the way to work, the other I run after work. I was checking sets b4 work, my 3rd fox of the morning had just been dispatched. I laid the fox beside me as I remade my set.

Being focused on the remake I didn't notice the fox was coming to until I felt something bite my boot. That got my attention, I grabbed it by the first thing I could get my hands on which happened to be it's tail. In one swift motion I jumped up and give it a fling. I ended up throwing it 15 feet straight up in the air.

Now I think that fox was part cat as he landed on all fours just as any good cat would. After jumping out of the way of the falling fox the race was on. Now ordinarily it would not even be a fair race tween me and a fox (even though I was young and fast at the time) But the fox was still a bit dizzy and couldn't run a straight line. That worked out to my advantage and after about 70-80 feet I caught up to it.

Just as I'd done before I grabbed the first thing I could get my hand on. This time it happened to be his lower jaw. He bit down but suprisingly not hard, he never even broke the skin. Once getting a better and safer hold of him I quickly dispatched it.

Now the only real damage that happened was I had to buy a new pair of boots. When  I flung him in the air after biting me his tooth must have hung up in my boot and tore the stitching from the side all the way back to the heel. After this incident I started a policy of kneeling on my catch with one knee firmly on the neck.

Now let's hear some more.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
OK guys I know some of ya have some trapline tales. DR Bob, Goose, Iceman and deer hunter 123 I know ya have trapped and must have something to say. I have more too but I'd like to here others as well cause mine ain't interesting as others.
« Last Edit: May 05/06/06, 10:43:58 PM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Catching a wife

I had been doing some coon and fox trapping one nice day. After done running my traps I stopped by pops place where he had a shed I did my skinning in.

After taking care of my pelting duties I went home. Someone had called and left a message on the answering machine. It said "Preston this is George and I was wondering how do you skin a wife she got caught in one of your traps" :o :o

I imediatly called him back to find out what was going on. He said his wife was out picking some weeds for a fall type bouquet. She must have walked down this coon trail where I had a 220 conibear placed and not seeing it stuck her foot in it.

Not knowing how to open the trap she walked back home and George not beeing there called a nieghbor fellow to come over and take it off for her.

I then asked to talk to his wife as to make an appology. While I was talking to her she  said "it really surprised me. It never even hurt. No bruising, swelling, or pain of any sort. I thought those traps would hurt, but they're not that easy to walk in." ;D

Everything was good and worked out just fine. She only asked that I put a piece of flagging ribbon within 10 feet of my trap so she knows which trails she had better pay a bit more attention on.

This happened to me about 15 yrs ago.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
 This would have been about in 1985.

I had a chevy luv pick up the was my trappin rig. Everyone in town knew when I come in to get gas, as at the time I kept and skinned skunks that I'd caught. This rig was by no means anything you'd want to take to prom. The taillights worked when they wanted, the brakes usually worked as did the headlights. The muffler (hold it what's a muffler?) was seldom attached much less functional. You get the idea.

One day after school I went to run the line. I had a nice muskrat pond on one farm which I checked with my 8' jon boat I had in the back of my rig. Well the only way to this pond was down this hill (similar to a mountain, being it was high and steep.)

With the trucks only way of being started was push starting it due to a poor starter I didn't shut it off, just left it on the hill running. Granted I could have started it by rolling down the hill and letting the clutch out while in gear but this hill wouldn't let a 2 wheel drive back out. (I tried that once before).

Well everything was going good after my first three traps connecting with rats. Then I happened to look up at my truck and WHOA theres a fire. I quickley rowed to shore and ran (up this mountain) to the truck. I had a grass fire around and mostly under my truck. I quickly thought of how to put it out and only thing I could figure out is to grab something and smother it out by beating it out. The only thing I could find was a skunk in the back of the rig.

So I grabbed a skunk by the tail and started beating out this fire. Once the grass fire was put out I realized that it was more than a grass fire.

What had started the fire was sparks coming out of the exaust. My exaust system had about 6" coming out the manifold and after that it was non existant (so flames and sparks were commom coming out of exaust.). When the grass started on fire it was undernieth the rig which caused an electrical wireing and rubber hose burning problem. Thank god the fuel line only got slightly melted.

I finished running traps and took off for home. By that time it was dark and I found out the fire had burnt up the wires to my headlights. Not a problem I still had a tranny and brakes or so I thought. Yes I had a tranny but the fire had burned a hole in the brake lines. So on my way home in the dark with no headlights and no brakes who do you suppose I meet?

If you guessed a duputy sherrif you are right. He never asked me for a DL or anything, just what am I doing. I splained to the deal and I was just trapping. I don't think he wanted to be around my truck too much. ??? Any way he led the way with his flashers on telling me to follow him. When he got me back home he said he didn't want to see that truck on the road til I get the lights and brakes fixed. I never told him that the tie rod was just wired in place. ::)
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
How many people are afraid of the dark?

This happened early one morning I was running traps. This one spot I had to walk about an 1/8th of a mile through this corn field to a couple of sets that have produced well for the last week.

Well 1/3 of the way through this cornfield my headlamp decided that the battery has been used enough. So I had to continue to the sets without a light. It was moonlit so I could still see enough to get there without a problem but with a wind about 30 mph.

As I was walking toward the set my foot kicked something, IT EXPLODED UP AND WENT CRASHING THROUGH THE FIELD. I believe it was a buck as it sounded like horns hitting the corn stalks. I instinctively holler argh or aogh or something like that.

After getting my heart rate down to a manageable level of about 200 beats a minute, I continued on my way. Upon getting to my sets I realized I had a fox in one and a coon in the other. It was still dark enough that dispatching them without a light created another problem. I found the solution in a forked stick to pin them down with.

After remaking the sets, I threw the critters over my shoulder and decided to walk around the corn field. Not that I was afraid of the dark but that I wasn't sure my heart would have stood another explosion that morning.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never caught allot of badgers but the ones I did have always made things get interesting.

One that comes to mind happened to be the only one that didn't have a major attitude. After looking the situation with the aid of my flashlight I could see that he had his hinder set in a little hole he dug. I assumed that I'd made a hind foot catch as the trap was not attached to his front feet.

Feeling comfortable that he wouldn't escape I went back to the truck for the camera. I wanted to get some close-ups of this guy.

First pic I was about three feet away then I decided to go in for a close up. This was before I had a camera with a zoom. I put my knee down about a foot and a half from him and took the picture with the camera about 8-10 inches from his nose.

Then I thought maybe one more from about 5' or so. I backed up walked around a bit to find the best angle. Then all of a sudden I seen it. What did I see? MY TRAP :o and it was sitting about 2' in front of this badger that I'd been nose to nose with taking pictures of. The trap had actually been underneath me while I took the close-up.

Well I decided to skip photo number three and went straight for the truck for the rifle. A well placed shot standing right beside the truck and I didn't have to worry about being attacked by this one. As all the others have wanted to do.

Which brings me to a ? why was this badger just sitting there? Was he sick? was he blinded by my headlights? was he just a badger without a badger attitude? I don't know but it was definitely unusual.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I was on my way back home from running traps. Feeling good about the days catch and feeling even better about tomorrows due to a weather front coming in, I was in a bit of a hurry. I wanted to get the skinning done for the next day was going to be busy.

As I rounded this corner I seen this brown basket ball bouncing and rolling in the middle of the road. Curiosity got the best of me and I had to go back and see what the heck it was.

Turned out it was 2 male mink fighting, one was quite a bit bigger than the other. They were so into the fight that they never paid any attention to my headlights shining on them. Much less me standing watching from only bout 10' away.

After a couple minutes the bigger one was getting a bit tired. Thats when the smaller one got ahold of the back of the neck and would not let go. I tried to get him to by walking up to him and giving him a light tap on the hips with my foot. He never noticed I touched him.

So now it's trapping season, I was standing close enough, the situation was just right for me to take 2 mink with one stunning blow of a stick. No I didn't I left letting mother nature prevail. Why I didn't still kinda confuses me. I guess I've always liked to observe furbearers doing what they naturally do (can learn bunches this way)and got into viewing it just as much as they were into it.

So what did I learn that night? That the big brute don't always win. That I was an idiot for not taking 2 more mink.

Not until the next day did I learn that they fought to the death. I thought the big one would have eventually got loose and ran. I found the bigger one along side the road the next day with his heart, liver and lungs eaten out of him. So I guess I learned that mink can be cannibalistic also which part of an animal they prefer to eat.

I've had muskrat in my traps that have been eaten the sameway as that mink. I used to think that it was an owl that was the culprit but now know differently. That changed my baitting technique which increased my mink take up to 20-25 more a week.

If I would have taken those 2 mink that night How long would have it taken me to figure this knowledge out on my own? Who says I even would have.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Griz that is a great story. I'm in awe of the numbers of animals you describe catching. Thanks for the story.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Fawkinnae

Well due to job and family obligations I no longer make big catches like I used to. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do that for about 10 yrs. I made my entire living just trapping.

I didn't make my entire living from trappin fur though. In early spring I'd trap gophers then after a month or so I'd trap leeches and minnows. Then it was time to trap some turtles, both snappers and painted. Might even get to dig a bit of ginseng sometime in sept.

Then around hunting season I usually took time to do some scouting for fur. That was the beauty of the life style a hunting trip I was always scouting for fur. When trapping fur I was also hunting and always scouting for hunting, leechs and minnows. While trappin bait I was scouting for fur and always had a fishin pole in the bait truck.

I was never rich but managed to pay the bills. During those yrs I never shot a big buck although I had the opportunity to. I usually knew where a few were at and some people were willing to pay for this knowledge. I knew a few ponds that had fish in them that even the land owners didn't know held fish.

It was a great life style have many fond memories that will last a liftime. Not a day goes by that I don't think and wish of doing it again. Sometimes at work I feel like tellin the boss just what johney paycheck sang in his song. The reason I don't is because well I don't really know, I guess holdin a job is just too easy.

~Thomas Jefferson

Offline vickieschessies

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Griz
I have never trapped but Chuck did some trapping before we were married. Never cared for the method but truly understand its necessity, especially with the beaver.  I hope for you guys the fur market starts paying better. You have told some pretty good tales.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
                   MNO Prefered sponsors

http://www.fawkinnae.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
 Back when I was about 16-17 yrs old, I was on my way from one leech pond to the other. It was bout 10-11 o'clock. Anyway I was in a hurry as that day I had to run all the ponds myself.

I was going down this gravel road by a cattail slough and a little kit mink jumps out in front of me. I locked up the brakes on that old chevy luv and come to a halt half way in the ditch. Getting out of the truck hoping I hadn't hit the little thing, I had to wait for the dust to clear to see.

There it was lopeing straight at me. It stopped about 40 ft from me just looking at me. So curiously I was going to see how close I could get to it b4 it ran off. Slowly I walked toward it and about 15' away just stopped to let it get used to me. (hopeing i'd get closer)

Just then it came to within 3' of me. Now I was thinking of trying to grab it and put it in a pen. As I already had mink and fox I was raising. So I get down on my hands and knees planning on grabbing it around the neck so I don't get bit.

What does he do? Runs up puts it's front feet on the back of my fingers and starts to lick the back of my hand. (My hands were still covered with blood and oil from the fish I was useing for leech bait.) Now I have a better and easier way of getting it that pops into mind. I just need to wait for the right moment.

After 20-30 seconds it stops and steps back a few inches and nows the time to put my plan into action. I slowly rolled my hand over so my palm was up, so it could try the other side of my hand and I could just quickly grab it by the head. Wrong when I did that it got spooked and ran into the cattails.

Another lesson  I gathered that day. I came to the conclusion that (even though this was a young mink) mink in general have the mentality of a little kid.

Another is they are curious animals but it got scared by me rolling my hand. It's not natural, man and apes are the only ones that can do that.

So after that I started making sets that were a bit more natural and not looking man made. I also started hiding my bait. They know it's there as they can smell it but just like a kid they have to investigate it further to see if it's what they want. The next fall is when I really started to get the hang of minkin

Funny thing was it wasn't like a light bulb went off in my head either. It wasn't until about 7-8 yrs. later that I realized it was that moment that taught me these lessons.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
Back when I was about 16-17 yrs old,  it wasn't like a light bulb went off in my head

how very true griz  :-[
hang in there, you'll be ok.
were here for ya ;D
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Back when I was about 16-17 yrs old,  it wasn't like a light bulb went off in my head

how very true griz  :-[
hang in there, you'll be ok.
were here for ya ;D

Didn't ya miss a bunch in between?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This one just happened today.

There were a couple rat ponds I wanted to get on but I had asked about 10 yrs ago and was denied. I decided to call my buddy Boo knowing these farmers were relation of his.

Picked up Boo went over to his cousin which is the first farm. Boo was talking while I was trying to pay attention but the dogs wouldn't leave me alone as I smelled like a critter. Well I gained permision and noticed on the way back to the truck that one of the dogs had slobbered all over my boot.

Went to the next farm who happened to be his aunt. Well everything pretty much went the same as the first farm except that one of the friendly dogs decided to try and pee on my boot. Which makes me wonder did the first dog just slobber on my boot? We all know how dogs are with car tires. ???
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
That's funny!  lol  ;D
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Something happened to me today that reminded me of a fox hunt yrs back.

It was one of those unusual days that is snows even during real cold.(bout 25 below) There wasn't even as much as a hint of wind. So the snow just came down and laid there.

I'd started off blowing into the mouth call, hunkered in a little thicket for camoflauge. Well that didn't last long as the moisture from my breath quickly froze up the call.

Not wanting to waste the outing I decided to just walk through the swamp. It wasn't long and I cut a set of fox tracks and they were fresh. I could practically see the steam rising from them. It was snowing pretty good about then and I couldn't even see a snow flake in his tracks.

I follow his tracks a bit up onto a beaver lodge and then down and down I went, right up to my crotch in water. I got out real fast, well fast enough that when I looked back at the hole I had to think about what just happened. I just stepped into a beaver run. The stock had caught the ice on one side of the run and the barrel on the other. I used the gun to push jump me out of the water.Knowing how cold it was, with my boots full of water and my bibs soaked I knew the hunt was over.

As I started back to the vehicle, I realized this will prolly be the longest (3/4 MI)and coldest walk I'll ever have. So there I was trying to wlak through the swamp with the legs on my bibs freezing stiff b4 I even made it a hundred yds.

Just b4 I got out of the swamp I cut the tracks again. I just got out of the swamp and heading to the fencline that I would follow back to the vehicle. I looked up and there on a little knoll not more than a few feet high right by the fenceline sat ol wiley. Just sitting there looking at me not more than 20 yds away. I pulled up the rifle and looked into a frozen blob of slush surounding my scope.(actually I was poked in the eye by the slush) So I just stood there an looked at him. As he sat an chuckled at me I just thought another day.

By the time I got back to the vehicle my feet had actually warmed up but it was time to head home.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Since I became a member of MNO, one of my favorite postings has been about Griz telling his trapline stories. Especially the one about something that scared the BeJesus out of him when it was making noise's out in a cornfield! I'm laughing with you on that one Griz, not at you. Cracks me up every time I think about. Only because I know dam well that the same thing has happened to me! So how about it Griz? You got any more gems in those BS trapline tales you would be willing to share with us? :ROTFLMAO: DIRTBALL2 ;)
"You can't BS an old BS'er"

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Yeah. Come on on Griz tell us a story.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
After having a good mornings run on the line I swung by gramps and grams to do some skinning. (It was cold out and they let me skin in the house, ma wouldn't have any of that)

If I member right had 7-8 mink couple coon and four five rats. Grams thought it'd make a nice pic. So while searching for the camera something dissappeared. One of my mink must have come and snuck off on me as it was gone. After searching for 5-10 minutes with no avail we let the dog in to sniff em out for us. That took about 10 seconds after he quit admiring the rest of my days take.

There I was chasing a mink around the house, gramps was helping with an old wash stick in one hand and a fishing net in the other. An uncle was also helping with a pipe wrench in hand. We went from kitchen to living room and back again making sure someone was guarding the stairs as we didn't want it getting up there.Grams was tryin to get ahold of the dog who had already knocked some dishes off the table and tipped a lamp over.

Finally my uncle and I had the thing pinned in a corner. With my foot ready to stomp and my uncle ready giv'em the pipe wrench, we both were kinda waiting for the other to make a move at this thing. The mink started to scream and I decided to make a move with my foot landing squarely on it. Only problem was, you guessed it at the same time uncle made a move with the wrench landing squarely on top of my foot. ::banghead::

In pain I yanked my foot up only to have the mink dart up the curtains. The dog wasted no time in trying to follow only to bring the curtains down with him. Alas the mink come down right into the mouth of the dog. He wasted no time shaking it like a rag doll ending the situation.

Now a bit more relaxed with a foot still throbbing came grams. She was saying something about only bringing dead critters in the house, some dishes, a curtain that nice lamp and how long it's going to take to clean the house up. By the tone and volume of her voice she didn't sound real happy about it. :whistling:

PS she forgot to take a photo.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Since I became a member of MNO, one of my favorite postings has been about Griz telling his trapline stories. Especially the one about something that scared the BeJesus out of him when it was making noise's out in a cornfield! I'm laughing with you on that one Griz, not at you. Cracks me up every time I think about. Only because I know dam well that the same thing has happened to me! So how about it Griz? You got any more gems in those BS trapline tales you would be willing to share with us? :ROTFLMAO: DIRTBALL2 ;)

Hey DB none of them are ::bs:: Just interesting things that have happened over the yrs. As the yrs have gone the interesting things aren't as numerous. Experience has taught me things over the yrs, so I no longer kneel down in front of badger in the dark when not in my trap. No longer bring home half dead critters etc. I might have a few more as I remember them I will post.

Somebody must have some also, how bout you iceman?
« Last Edit: June 06/03/07, 08:55:51 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My Gawd man!(pant,choke,gasp!) You really come through when asked! :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: I'm sitting here with tears as big as horseturds coursing down my face from laughing at your latest and greatest post! :ROTFLMAO: That sounds like a scene right out of the movie, "CADDY SHACK!" That's even better than the time something scared the bejesus out of you in the cornfield! When telling a story, you remind me a lot of jigglestick whenever he writes. More than once, while reading one of his stories(or yours) I find myself collapsed on the floor in a helpless fit of giggles and gasps! You guy's should collabarate on a book. Can't think of a snappy title right offhand. You could just say though that it was written by,"The Best Team in the Barn!" :taz: Kudo's and Huzzah's for coming through magnificently. Whoop-Tee-Doo! Polka On! ::dancinred:: DIRTBALL2 ::fishing:: ;)
"You can't BS an old BS'er"

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:

Funniest story I've heard in a long time.  Thanks Griz.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah if that one dosent have "The Great Outdoors" written all over it, John Candy with a wrench and Chevy Chase with the net...reminds of the time I was bow huntin deer with a buddy near Isanti, Im on a ridge glassin across a field, spot my buddy in a ravine in a corner of a field and a couple of big does are meandering towards him when all of a sudden he's jumpin...twirlin...screaming like a little schoolgirl....things ya just dont see on an average bowhuntin outing! Well of course I laughed so hard and long, I cried, peed my coveralls and nearly puked.  I had to wait two hours to find out that an Ermine/Weasel attacked him, he poked at em with a broadhead and the varmint shot up the inside of his pant leg after going for his throat and getting thrown to the ground...Idont think I'll ever laugh that hard sittin by myself again....               -thunderpout 8)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Griz.... Have you ever had any scrapes/run-ins with Fischers in your trappin travels?  We have alot of em where we deer hunt up in the Paul Bunyan State Forest.... had one chase me into a deer stand once,  had many a staredown with em bumping into them while running around in the woods up there...they seem like they're not afraid of humans like most critters are, they have an attitude...  :taz:                  -thunderpout 8)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Not any run in with fishers. They could have an attitude as any member of the weasel family can. Have had a few run ins with badger though. Gets kindea spooky in the dark then.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Has anyone ever played with a french fence? Don't!

A few yrs back I did. It was dark out when I was running traps in the early AM. I pulled in to this field road through this corn field to check a couple fox sets.

Now this farmer knew how to build a field road. He keeps them graveled and nice and smooth. Probably better than any of our interstate highways. So a guy can really save some time cruising down them.

As I didn't notice any posted speed signs, so I took advantage of that and was cruising right along. Then I noticed a single fence post on the drivers side of the field road and then the single wire going acrossed. I locked up the brakes but a bit to late. Guess I was prolly outrunning my spot lights.

Well so much for saving time as it took me an extra 20 minutes putiing the fence back up. The farmer had fence off part of the field to let the cattle clean it up. It wasn't bad just about 4 or 5 post to put up and put the electric wire. Good thing I had my heavy leather gloves with to handle the wire.

Grabbing ahold of the electric fence my hat flew off, my hair stood up, my eyes and ears popped and my hand clenched the wire and wouldn't let go. I took many jolts from that wire before ripping it out of my hand. Well back to the truck to get my rubber gloves knowing they would protect me. Grabbing the wire now with rubber gloves on Zap I got it again. This time it wasn't as severe as my hand didn't clench on.

It took a bit of trapper inginuity to get that wire back on the insulators with the rubber gloves, a stick and a deer hide I'd tanned and had laying behind the seat. Believe me I still approached the wire with caution.

After I had the wire up I proceeded to run my sets. On the way out I'd realized my bone headed mistake. I put the fence up on the wrong side of the truck. Driving along the fence trying to find the gate to get back out I had no luck except for the on right by his house. Now what to do? Drive across his lawn or go let the fence down. I opted for going across his lawn.

The next w/e I stopped over to appologize for possibly waking him or his family. After telling him the story he laughed and said now he didn't mind them ruts too bad.  I had no idea bout any ruts but felt bad. He said he specially ordered the electric fencer from France. They burn through brush up to 2- 2 1/2 inches in diameter. oops2.gif
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Welcome back Griz!  happy2.gif
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
 :ROTFLMAO: griz, have been bit by one of them but think had that much juice runen through it.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
funny story griz!, did you trap anything for
all the troubles?

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Moline Gang

• Outdoorsman
  • No critter too big or small!
These are great stories Griz!  I really enjoy ready them.
Upper Red Lake deer camp