Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Gun Advice  (Read 4196 times)

Offline A-Rod

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So at the risk of sounding like a total jacka$$ id like to ask for a recommendation on a gun.  I'd like to get into hunting so I'm new, brand new, to gun buying and usage.

I'd like to find a cheap flexible gun that I can use for anything that I might throw at it.  Pheasant, Grouse, Waterfowl, Turkey, and even deer.  I'm not as worried about deer as the birds but I'd like to keep that option available. 

So what brand/model fits these requirements?  What options should I be looking for as far as chokes, barrel type/length (rifled?), gauge, whatever is referred to by 2 3/4, 3, or 3 1/2.

I'd like it to be less expensive. 

Any thoughts?

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Can't go wrong with a 3in, 28 in barrel, Remington 870.  It should also be in your price range.  I"m currently using a Browning Gold Auto loader.  But when I was 12 my dad bought me an 870 Magnum.  I put it through hell and it's still just like new.  Never one single problem.  They come with screw in chokes also.

Good Luck!
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Remington 870. Been shooting that same gun for about 16-17 years! Clean it after each use and you will have a brand new gun the rest of your life! They are solid guns, built to last and as versatile as you want and need.

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I have had a Remington 1100 with changeable barrels for the past ten years and love it.  I've hunted deer,pheasants, ducks, etc. with it.   Plus it's semi-auto.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
I've had my Remington 870 12 gauge for about 17 years, never had a problem with it...EVER! My Dad loves his Remington 11-87 semi auto 12 gauge and won't head to deer camp without it.
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta go with the 870 express...I got one thats like twenty yrs old, its painted camo with fiberoptic sights and a 21" bbl. for turkey huntin.  Its a perfect utility gun...you can get an extra barrel and it covers the gammit to a "T"....You can get nicer guns down the road, as I have, but you cant find a better do-all gun for the $, and even a dummy can disasemble it in their lap without lossing parts....I think Remington makes one that comes with a short rifle sited bbl. for turkey and deer, and a normal ribbed 28" bbl. for "everything else".        -thunderpout 8)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh yeah...get the 3 1/2 mag then you can shoot any size shell...remember, if ya go the autoloader route, you'll have issues using different loads,  I see it all the time.....    -t-pout 8)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I have a Remington 870 (that was handed down to me from my grandpa).  I have used it duck hunting, grouse hunting, and pheasant hunting.  It is a great gun!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I have to agree with everyone because thats what I got for myself when I started.  Remington 870 3" mag with 2 barrels - one smooth bore for birds and one rifled for deer and bear.  The price is right and it is DURABLE!!

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I may get ridiculed here but I like the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870. I love Remington but I find the Mossberg 500 to be the most durable shotgun made for the money. I also have a slug barrel for mine. It has now become my backup shotgun after my Ruger Red Label. If you ever get a rifle then I highly rec. Remington. Would not trade mine for anything.
Happy hunting. fudd.gif
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, every one has the right idea for you.
Get your self a 12 gage or even a 20 gage pump action shot gun in 3 inch magnum chamber with a 26 or 28 inch barrel with choke tubes.

You can switch tubes for the different game animals you wish to hunt, plus most pumps can interchange a barrel so you can upgrade to a rifles slug or a trap barrel later on.

You can go with a 3 -1/2 chamber as well but a good 3 incher will do just fine.

Now for your question on what is a 2-3/4.3, 3-1/2 inch.

This refers to the chamber or shot shell size of a shot gun.

Your better off with a 3 inch or larger just to have the flexability of the magnum loads, but many hunters do fine shooting 2-3/4 shot shells and they are cheaper!!!

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
I would suggest a pump action to start with. Don't buy a bargain semi auto if you want to keep costs down. And make sure you handle the different makes. It is more important that it shoulders good for you and feels comfortable than brand.There are alot of 870 votes out there and I have used them before as well. But for me the Mossberg 835 ulti mag wins.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Great minds do think alike dont we??  On the Mossberg, I've never shot it but my son has the youth modle and loves it.  I wouldn't hesitate to get that over the 870 if that's the opportunity that presents itself to you.

On the chamber size, I have a 3" so I can shoot that or smaller.  Last year I put a scope on mine and was sighting in wiht 3" mags.  By the end of a few boxes my shoulder was killing me.  If you look at the ballistic info on the boxes, you'll see that many of the modern 2 3/4" 12 gauge slugs are a far cry better than slugs from just a few years ago.  There have been many a deer taken with the old slugs so the modern 2 3/4" would work great.  After my 3" mags are gone, Im going solely with 2 3/4.

My son and I are going to go sight in our rifles next month some time so if you want to join us you could try my 870.  Send me a PM and we can try to make arrangements.

Grute   ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Back again but to stick up for the American made Mossberg The Ulti mag was the first shotgun developed to fire a 3 1/2 shell and the only shotgun approved and used by the United States Military because of Their reliability and durability. Before you buy, handle a Winchester 1300 a Browning B.P.S.(Bottom eject and heavier) the Remington 870 a Bennlli Nova and a mossberg 835 the only one of these I would hesitate to purchase is the Nova. I wont say anymore because gun types and caliber discussions never end.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
The Remington vs Mossberg thing is just like the Ford vs GM vs Mopar deal....you can hash that stuff out till the cows come home...Go to a Gander Mtn., Joes sporting goods or Cabelas and dont let anyone tell ya whats best, pick up and swing and mount a few 12g, 3 or 3 1/2" chambered pump shotguns.  Buy the one that moves to your shoulder without adjustment and points to what your eyes look at without adjustment.  Thats the one to get.  (that and which one is on sale)  It seems to me that everyone loved their version so ya cant go wrong, correct?  Then git yourself a half a case of cheap target loads and hit a skeet/trap/sporting clays range and have some fun!  The more ya shoot it, the more fun & the better youll get at it!      -Good luck,  -Thunderpout 8)

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thunderpout hit the nail on the head. Handle lots of guns first. Then decide.
I had recommended the Mossberg 500 which is still what I suggest but in our house we do have the mossberg 500, Mossberg 835, and yes even the Remington 870 amongst others. Feel is the best way to go.

When I bought my Ruger Red Label, the guy I bought it from never felt comfortable with it and could not hit anything, therefore he hated it. He let me try it out on some trap shooting and immediately shot 22 out 25 and loved it ever since. It fits me very well and swings great but beings it is an over under it starts getting a little heavy at the end of the day. A small price to pay for a good fitting gun.

Good luck on whatever you buy.

P.S. Thunderpout chevy is the way to go. ;D
« Last Edit: September 09/25/07, 04:38:55 PM by Faceman »
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.