Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Sighting in  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Took Hockey #12 up to the rifle range to be sure we're ready for the season.  He shot 2 full boxes of his .243 rounds and I shot 16 rounds of my 12 guage 3" mags.  He was pretty close but no bullz eyes.  When we flipped the target over, there was a definite pattern all around the bullz eye and above it. 

I on the other hand think I need to reconsider my ammo.  There was no pattern at all.  Only one was in the 9 ring and the rest were all over the paper up, down, left, and right.  Those 3" mags have so much recoil, I can't say Im controlling it and shooting accurately. Not to mention after 16 rounds my shoulder feels bruised.  I was going to shoot some of my 2 3/4" rounds but with the shoulder already in pain, it was a worthless attempt.

Im gonna wait a couple of weeks and go back again but only with my 2 3/4" slugs.

After we got back home, Momma Grute tells the boy to run down the block to the trophy shop to talk to the guy about a job.  So now he picked up a part time job.  Good!! Now he can pay for his rounds himself -- 2 full boxes -- SHEESH!!!   ;D  Mighty proud of him.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like you two had some fun though, the shoulder might hurt but you had some bonding and you now know where his gun shoots.

As for your slugs going all over the paper, this can be caused by using different type or manufacturs of slugs.

Also if your shooting a smooth bore barrel, you need rifled slugs.
A rifled barrel works best with Sabots or simular style, a rifle slug will shoot through a rifled barrel but they are designed for smooth bores.

And keep in mind a smooth bore barrel won't be as accurate as a rifled slug barrel.

Now try to remember what type and brand was closest to the bullseye, buy a few more boxs of that brand and type.

Start out at the 25 yard targets to get it in close, then go out to the 50 yards.

If your shooting a rifled barrel with quality Sabots you can go out to 75 or 100 yards as well.

Just stick with the same brand and type of slugs, don't switch up half way through a sight in or you will have to start over with the different slugs.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
They were all Rem Copper Solid 3" mags.  I think its just too much powder and not enough practice.  I'll try again this weekend with only 2 3/4"ers.

Thanks for the tips.  I may try different brands if these smaller ones don't dial it in.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Grute, a buddy at work went thru the same thing shootin the big partition gold sabots,  he down sized to 2 3/4's and he got it in the zone again, after he de-hamburgerized his shoulder.....and got rid of his flinch... :whistling:       -thunderpout 8)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Grute,

What kind of gun and barrel are you shooting? I know from experience that Benny is dead on accurate with his last post.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Its a Remington 870 with the rifled barrel. It also came with the bird barrel.  I boutht that thinking it would be all the gun I need.  :whistling:

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Jr. has the Youth Model 870 in 20 gauge, and that thing is a real hummer at shooting slugs.  After a brief bit of experimentation, we settled on the 2 3/4" Remington Coppersolid.   I did the dialing-in portion, and then let him bang away a bit at different ranges.  That gun is a solid 100 yard performer, using the open sights.

Not all slugs shoot the same!!!!  Try a couple of different brands, let the gun cool down a bit between shots, and compare groups.  Make sure you take your time, and carefully analyze the results.  My Hastings barrel likes the Federal Premium brand of sabots, but when they changed the loads a couple of years ago I had to re-zero.

The 3" shells really don't buy you much other than a sore shoulder.  I would stick to the 2 3/4 loads.  With recoil like you've experienced, you're much more apt to hose up the shot when the time comes - not many guys are mentally disciplined enough to ignore excessive recoil and still make a challenging shot.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
16 rounds! I used a shotgun one year and when I went to sight it in I was scared to pull the trigger after the first round! ;D Man do those things kick the crap out of you! Funny thing is that when I unloaded 6 rounds at that buck a few weeks later I didn't miss a thing, and that doe running through a field? Nothing!  ;D

Good Luck. ;)