Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1st timer question  (Read 6982 times)

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
I have a dumb guy question...I've been out a few times and have been learning and taking notes each time to remember what worked and what didn't.  I am thinking of using scents?  Should I put them near my stand?  Away?  Up in my stand?  Also, any advice on where to go when nature calls (pee)?  Is it okay to go right next to your stand?  Sorry, that might be a dumb question but there is a lot to this bow hunting stuff :)  Thanks

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
pse, no quistion is dumb. Now my answers may be. In a way where you put the secents depends on where your hunting. In fields I'll put  the scent both up and down wind at 20 yards. If hunting in the woods, drag a rag behind you with the sdent on it to lay a scent trail but walk to a area you can get a clean shot from your stand, not to your stand. Leave the scent cloth hanging on a twig or branch and freshen it up with more scent. While doing this avoid handeling the rag with bare hands. Nature call, carry a bottle with you and carry it out to empty. This is just what I do, others here may have better advise.
Enjoy the bow hunting it is never ending what the deer will teach at close range.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
pse, no quistion is dumb. Now my answers may be. In a way where you put the secents depends on where your hunting. In fields I'll put  the scent both up and down wind at 20 yards. If hunting in the woods, drag a rag behind you with the sdent on it to lay a scent trail but walk to a area you can get a clean shot from your stand, not to your stand. Leave the scent cloth hanging on a twig or branch and freshen it up with more scent. While doing this avoid handeling the rag with bare hands. Nature call, carry a bottle with you and carry it out to empty. This is just what I do, others here may have better advise.
Enjoy the bow hunting it is never ending what the deer will teach at close range.

That was pretty much my answer. I usally hang the scent where I would like to take a shot hoping that idf he comes in he will come all the way in. I also drag a scent rag behind me when I get into the wods.

Anything else?

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
okay..one more question.  i love this.

I have to use my waders (across a creek) to get to one of my stands.  The creek is about 50 yards from my stand...any ideas on what to do with the waders?  Leave them on the bank, hang them in a tree?  I just hate having to use them but the way my land is configured I need to cross the creek. Thanks!    8)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Thats a tough question, but i would probably carry a plastic bin down to the creek and leave the waders in the bin. I would think that most waders would carry quite a bit of scent once they were taken off (foot odor) etc....

In my area and situation, i would just bring them into my blind though. I'm not sure if this is an option for you.

How deep is the creek and how far across? Would it be possible to carry in a couple of planks to walk across?

It also depends if you are hunting in an area that allready has a lot of human scent and the deer are used to people. I hunt in the Metro area and scent is really not much of an issue, the deer are used to having people, dogs and weird stuff in the woods.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
If it was me and I had to wear waders to get across a creek I would be hunting in those waders as well.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I agree.  If I had to put them on, I wouldn't want to fuss with them out in the field  that close to your stand. 

And I like Spinach's question -- could you lay a plank across the creek? 

I also agree with Trip on the pee bottle.  An empty pop bottle works great.  I know a guy who uses a zip lock but what if it pops?   puke.gif  That's what. 

I don't use a lot of scents but am thinking of getting some scent leaves to hang out at what I mark as 20 and 30 yards.

Keep the questions coming.  The only dum question is the one you don't ask.

::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
I have heard that urinr is urine and deer can't tell human pee from any other type of animal, at least not enough to effect your hunt. Some actually say it helps cover human scent.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I have heard that urinr is urine and deer can't tell human pee from any other type of animal, at least not enough to effect your hunt. Some actually say it helps cover human scent.

You gotta be joking.... right?  :ROTFLMAO:  :ROTFLMAO:  :ROTFLMAO:  :ROTFLMAO:

Here are a few facts....

Not only can a buck tell doe urine from buck urine, they can tell when does are nearing or in estrus. They can even decipher dominant bucks from bucks that are not dominant.

The olfactory region of a deers brain, is the part of the brain that is assigned the chore of measuring and computing smells. in a Whitetail, it is approximately one thousand times larger than the same area in a humans brain. In the back of our nose, we have nasal receptors. These tiny little sensors help us differentiate between smells. We have approximately one hundred million nasal receptors while a whitetail has hundreds of millions.

This proves that a deer can tell the difference between deer urine and human urine.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline wingsandthings

i peed in a bucks scrape after deer season and when i went out to get my deer stands that scrape was totally trashed from the buck i think they can tell the diffrence

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
So the deer can tell the difference from, say, human and cow, or cow and moose or maybe a fox and rabbit?
According to the article that was published a few years ago, in Field and Stream I believe, the deer can smell the pee but has no idea where it came from if not from another deer. (It can't tell cow pee from people pee) It just knows it isn't a doe-in-heat pee.

But now I have to dig deeper to find out...That should waste a few minutes of time. ;D
« Last Edit: November 11/05/07, 11:35:12 AM by Big Slick »

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
"If deer got scared every time they smelled the urine of a potential predator, they'd spend 90% of their lives in mortal terror."

Seems its a question that will never be answered.

Here is a dicussion on the same topic that has no winner either.
http://deeranddeerhunting.com/default.aspx?tabid=376&view=topic&forumid=69&postid=16402&tpage=1

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
So the deer can tell the difference from, say, human and cow, or cow and moose or maybe a fox and rabbit?
According to the article that was published a few years ago, in Field and Stream I believe, the deer can smell the pee but has no idea where it came from if not from another deer. (It can't tell cow pee from people pee) It just knows it isn't a doe-in-heat pee.

But now I have to dig deeper to find out...That should waste a few minutes of time. ;D

I don't think they can differ. I think they know if may be foreign but they can;t say...."hmm smells like a humans pee we better stay clear of this area for a week or so" ;D

But I do think it can ruin a hunt and may alert the deer to something foreign in the area.

Offline iowabowhunter

• Outdoorsman
  • 2006 Buck

I don't think they can differ. I think they know if may be foreign but they can;t say...."hmm smells like a humans pee we better stay clear of this area for a week or so" ;D

But I do think it can ruin a hunt and may alert the deer to something foreign in the area.

I agree.  I don't think it will ruin the hunt but it will definitely alert them.  Then add that two a snap of a twig or something and THAT could kill the deal for you where maybe just the twig snapping would've been okay.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
"If deer got scared every time they smelled the urine of a potential predator, they'd spend 90% of their lives in mortal terror."

http://deeranddeerhunting.com/default.aspx?tabid=376&view=topic&forumid=69&postid=16402&tpage=1

They do spend a lot of their life in mortal terror.  They're scared of everything.  They're known for being very skiddish. 
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

They do spend a lot of their life in mortal terror.  They're scared of everything.  They're known for being very skiddish. 

I get nervous just watching them! Drives me nuts sometimes....Relax!