Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Looking for ideas for 2008 food plots  (Read 3314 times)

Offline IsItFriday

• Outdoorsman
I know the 2007 hunting season isn't over yet but when I'm sitting out in my stand I'm alreadu thinking to next year how to improve on what I have. The last couple years I've been playing around with food plots in a small 2 acre area. Even from that I've noticed some increase in rack size on the bucks in the area. I think thats great but I have an area of about 5 acres that is just grass that we've been mowing I would like to do something with this to benefit all the game animals in the woods. The land is close to the smoky hills for a general area. I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the area. Thank you
Fishing and hunting besides God and my kids, nothing is better.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
as in the one by detroit lakes??

Offline IsItFriday

• Outdoorsman
yes between Detroit Lakes and Park Rapids
Fishing and hunting besides God and my kids, nothing is better.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
IsItFriday,
If you are looking for maximum benefit with minimal work, I would suggest the following.
1. plan on planting alfalfa or clover.
2. Spray the grass with roundup near the end of May.  Spray again a couple weeks later.
3. Plant in mid June using a "no till drill" to plant the clover or alfalfa seed.
4. Mow once in early August.

This provides the following benefits.
1. Way less work than plowing/discing etc.
2. Plowing and discing usually plants many existing unwanted seeds.
3. The dead grass provides great cover for young plants.
4. you only have to do this every 4-5 years.

I know there are many other ways to do food plots and all work fine.  This is simply a way to get good results with minimal work.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I like your thinking deadeye+. One drawback I can see to it though is if the soil tests call for lime or fertilizer. Generally like to see that incorporated if possible. May have to plan ahead a year if that's the case to get the nutrients and amendments applied for the alfalfa or clover, establish an annual cover crop, then use the no-till concept the following year. Round Up Ready soybeans or canola might fit as an annual cover, could be broadcast and lightly worked in to achieve that goal. Would also be able to keep it clean in the meantime until the forage establishment year. The availability of a no-till drill for establishment of forage legumes in areas could be an issue for some. Many of the SWCD's have them but may be finnicky about letting people use them.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
you did not just buy this land from a lady named brenda did you?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
Your are absolutly correct about the lime and fertilizer.  When I ask my brother (soil scientest/agronamist) what I need for fertilizer, he simply said "everything".   After testing the soil, he also said "it's a a good thing this land has great hunting, because it sure would be hell trying to farm it".   Yes, getting a no till drill could be a challenge.  I hired a person to do mine. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: Seriously, your brother is a very wise man. Some of the work he did had more impact than he will probably ever know. I marvel sometimes that crops grow let alone thrive like they can once we get fertilizer & lime into the soils of the sand plains, some of the rocky sand and gravel forest soils as well as the peat soils of northern MN. I am going to approach the SCWD folks with a different tactic here to see if I can get them to rent me their Truax seeder for some private wildlife (pasture renovation) habitat. Sometimes it's not only knowing which buttons to push but how to push them.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Kyle from PLM here...I will throw in a few cents too.  Good points earlier and I agree.

If equipment is minimal...simply mowing that grassy area will provide more attraction.  Leaving it unmowed allows the grass to get mature which loses its palatability and attractiveness to the whitetails.  Freshly cut areas will allow new succulant growth with higher protein which the deer will really like alot more.

Optimum however is to get better forage in the area.

However, you are dealing with "sod" to start out with.  I would also recommend working the area up and using Roundup (RR)...but I would go with RR Corn or RR beans or even a combination of the two...lighter on the beans however.  This will allow you to spray RR again later in the season...keeping in mind that there will be alot of volunteering weeds and trees suckering up due to the disturbed ground.  This year of RR will allow for better weed control in the future, better soil tillith and better results.  You can simply broadcast the corn/beans and disc them in shallow (2 to 3 inches).  It won't be in rows but you are not planning on combining it anyway.

Depending on how good the site turns out, you can either go another year or RR or go into another forage option.

With 5 acres...which is a good size to work with...I would put some annuals such as Brassicas around the perimter say 30 to 60 feet and then put a clover/chicory mix (perannial) in the center.  With these types of forage...plan to do some mowing if the forage gets close to a "flower stage" to cut it back and keep new succulant growth coming in.

If it was mine...I would plant either the Brassicas or clover/chicory around the perimter and then RR corn/beans in the middle.  It is just really hard to beat corn/beans for a fall attractant!  And, RR is easy weed control and can make you look like a good farmer.  (smile)

Do your soil tests especially if you are in northern MN...a low pH in the soil will cause a yellowing of your forage due to an inability for the plant to take up nutrients.

There are other things to consider as well...
1. A little native grass such as a thick stand of Switchgrass on each end of the 5 acres can also provide some REALLY good bedding cover to keep deer close and using the plot more. 
2. Also, cutting back trees and brush along the edge of the 5 acres can allow more development of new brush and twigs that will be great "browse" for the whitetails...especially Red Osier Dogwood, Aspen, Wild Rasberry, Summac, etc...anything with reddish twigs the deer will go for.

Hope this provide some additional information to help you out.

Great time to be thinking and planning for this stuff!

Kyle, PLM

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
FYI...

I will be at the Roshester Show Jan. 25-27, Deer Classic March 7-9 and Northwest Sport Show April 2-6.  I will also be at the Tracey Sportsman Show April 19-20.

If you want to look over some options for your property, bring an aerial photo and soils map if you can find one, and we can take a look if you stop by the booth.  If you want, give me an email and I can even provide you with an aerial photo with a soils overlay that will be very helpful in your planning.

I will be ginging seminars at the Deer Classic (Small Property Management for Whitetails), Rochester Show (food plots and property management) and the Tracey Sportsmans Show (Waterfowl food plots and management) if you want to take in a seminar or two.

Let me know if you have any questions or want some assistance with the maps.

Kyle, PLM
info@habitatnow.com
www.HabitatNOW.com