Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anyone want a freshly shot coyote?  (Read 3623 times)

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
I was out deer hunting this evening and came across a coyote that was laying in some brush.  Just wondering if anyone on here traps them or skins them and brings the fur in?  Only one hole from my .54 cal muzzleloader.

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
How was it skinned and what do you want for it?
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
didn't skin it i don't know how i've never done it before.  I want nothing for it, just trying to clear the coyotes from where i deer hunt and this one gave me the perfect opportunity.  Probally will have more to give away through out the muzzleloader season.

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Where are you located if not too far I can come skin it and show you how. Is it froze? Did you gut it?
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
i live out in glencoe, mn.  didn't gut it wouldn't even know where to begin

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was just asking because you skin them differently for taxidermy, you don't have to but if you make a small dorsal incision it is a better quality mount. How far from Lakeville are you?
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
LLtaxidermy. I'm curious how long it takes you to skin a coyote. I'm guessing you've done lots of them. I skinned a fox once and was amazed at how long it took. I remember the feet being especially complicated to skin.
Thanks.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I haven't done a lot but I suppose I could get one done in about two hours if it's fresh. If it's been forzen and the foot pads are hard it takes a little longer but it's not bad. I usually won't totally skin them until i'm getting ready to mount them. I leave the feet head and tail in so I can get it frozen right away unless i'm not busy then i'll just do it. If I leave the feet and skull I can get it skinned in about half hour. Keep in mind the whole thing is skinned through about a 10-12 inch hole on it's back. I've been getting a lot of interest about this subject so I think i'm going to post kind of a photo how to on here so everyone knows how to skin for lifesize.
Thanks
Lee
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
I actually work down by shakopee if you wanted to meet up and grab it.

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I should be in Lakeville this weekend if you want to meet somewhere. I'm in Rochester all week otherwise.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Coyote...Yum...Taste like chicken.  ;D
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
LL,
  Why screw around through such a small incision. You would have to cut your form and mess around reinforcing it and putting it back together through that 10-12 inch hole. Open it up and sew it. The little extra time you spend sewing will make up for the time you waste skinning and trying to put that form back together that you cut in chunks to fit through that incision. On something as thick as a coyote the poorest stitch job in the world would have a hard time showing. If you spend just a little time on your stitch you will never even know it is there.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I agree totally but chances are the pose I was goin to do i'd only have to cut it in half wich i'd probably have to do anyhow. And I hate sewing!!! ;D
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Thats what I figured. :violin: ;D. After you do a few more you might change your mind.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Didn't really frown upon sewing until I mounted a Bison. Now I cringe at the word!!!! :cry:
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882