Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wolf attack cool story  (Read 8304 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
This is not my story. I am just reporting an interesting story :reporter;

"So, yesterday a friend an I took our families out sliding and ended up having a little more excitement than we had anticipated.

There we were having a good time......Rod was towing 3 of the kids (2 four yr olds and a 3 yr old) on a tobogan behind the quad, at the bottom of the hill. I was in the Argo with my 3 month old at the other end of the hill. Rods wife was warming up in the truck with there 2 yr old and my wife was at the top of the hill with our dog...........we had no idea that all hell was about to break loose.........

Two wolves appear out of nowere............and they are heading toward the "bait" dragging behind the quad.... at first I had no idea what was up, but I heard my wife start yelling. I look up at her and see the dog break out of her arms and start running like mad, diagonally down the hill toward the truck (the direction Rod was heading with the kids). Rod sees the wolves coming, just as he is getting close to the truck, he speeds up a little, but can't go too hard for fear that one of the kids might fall off. As he gets to the truck the wolves are about 20 feet from the kids, on the tobogan. Rod bolts back toward the kids, just as my dog "Shadow" intercepts the lead wolf. Teeth flash and the battle is started............
Rods wife leaps from the truck and starts throwing kids inside, as Rod grabs a shovel from the back of the truck, smashing the shovel blade off as he goes to help the dog. Second wolf has joined the fight, and although Shadow is a very heafty 120lbs+ Rotty Cross, he is not faring all too well. The wolves break off as Rod gets close, but they are not afraid, they circle around and stay about 50 feet out of reach.
I can tell that you are probably wondering what I'm doing right about now.........Well, I knew I was too far away to be of much use, so at the first sign of the wolves, I wheeled the Argo around and headed toward our little camp. As I arived at the camp, I looked back and caught a glimps of the onset of the fight.........First thought through my mind-"GOOD DOG, If you make it, you get steak dinners for the rest of the month"........I grab my Ruger 10/22 and head back into the fray. By the time I get within range, Rod is making use of his wepons of choice, his Quad, and the shovel handle..... Before I could shoot, he had driven the wolves into the bush. I take a quick look around, make sure everyone is OK, and head in after them.......NO Luck, so I go back. Some decisions must have been made while I was gone, becouse everyone was packed up and headed back to camp......No more sliding today. So, the families are safe in camp, and Rod and I take the ATV's to the shop, to put them away (about 400 yrds from camp). As we walked back, we both see movement by the camp. I never thought much about it for a second, then I thought, "there is NO WAY that my wife would let Shadow out alone right now, what was that". Turns out that Wolf #1 was already back.........Rod and I fall into SNEAKY MODE to get closer........Yup, that is a wolf............My gun comes up, CRACK CRACK, the wolf drops............It's starting to get a little dark by now, and as we get closer to the wolf I say to Rod......."I really hope that's not my dog I just shot". Rod looks at me, Eyes wide, "If you just shot your dog, I'm going to be really mad at you".
It wasn't my dog, it was a really nice Silver/Black wolf. Everyone came out to have a look at it, lots of oooohs and aaaaaaww's.
We drag it down to the shop for the night, planning to skin it out in the morning.
The next morning, we had a little problem...............The Wolf Was GONE!!!!

OK, time to put our "Mantracker" skills to the test.........we found some "drag marks" and followed. Turns out that the second wolf was not above a little "Canibalism"........We only found part of the first wolf, but, the second wolf was still in the area, and I just happened to have brought my rifle. Long story short, I got the second one too.
Both wolves were very skinny, although the second one did fill out quite a bit over night.

Shadow managed to get a couple in on this one:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/02/08, 10:20:07 PM by smallmouthguide »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
id probly not post that you may get a call or a visit from Jonny law and lose your rifle.  i guess im not up on the laws but i had got one in a trap a couple years ago and the local law helped with the release and gave me a writen warning on it...

Offline wallander

• Outdoorsman
cool thats a wild story feel sorry for the your dog is it ok

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm just reporting an interesting news story :reporter;

This was not me. Sorry for any confusion :oops1:

SMG

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Wow, what a story SMG!!  I don't care what the laws say, if a pack a wolves were going after my babies, and I had a gun with, they would be dead too!!  Geez, just going out to do a little sliding, I bet you didn't exspect anything like that, huh!!  Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures!  gg

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)

SMG

Well you blew your cover SMG...here I thought you were some big hero or somethin'! :rotflmao:

:toast:  gg

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't even have a gun or a dog, just a big cat and lots of fishing rods :cry:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline wallander

• Outdoorsman
well i would have shot them in the same situation i mean i like wolves but they need to know that were on the top of the food chain so attack someone else if that makes sense :fudd:

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
I don't even have a gun or a dog, just a big cat and lots of fishing rods :cry:

But you do own a pair of boots right...not heels?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: ...so much for my "hero" theary!!  Just teasin' ya smg!!   :toast:  gg

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ok Ok, If I now need to prove my manhood, and I hate to brag. Well last week I beat my wife arm wrestling 3 out of 5 times. ;)

Many BWCA Reports

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Ok Ok, If I now need to prove my manhood, and I hate to brag. Well last week I beat my wife arm wrestling 3 out of 5 times. ;)

ROTFLMAO!!! Now that's what I'm talking about SMG!!  I knew you had it in you!!!  ....aaaahhhh...my hero!!!   :dancinred:  gg

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just did some more research and found some pictures of the real hero who is doing just fine by the way.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/02/08, 11:12:51 PM by smallmouthguide »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
shes the hero  hmm  :rocker;

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
You men are all the same :banghead:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
You men are all the same :banghead:

lmao smg!! Get your boots back on now!!  :rotflmao: gg

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
OML What a story!!!  Thank goodness they are now off the endangered species list  ;D   A few years ago I had one attack my dogs around 5am.  It was probally the scariest thing I have ever witnessed.  And to think I did not have a gun at the time  :banghead:  My overy large lab got a bunch of bite marks and scratches on her sides and my Bull dog ripped his eye open.  Nothing like standing on your deck in your PJ's screaming you head off and having a very large black timber staring back at you 20' away!!!

I also think they are really cool but they have their place and need to eat wild game not someones kids, dogs, horses or cows!!!  You really don't hear of to many healthy timbers attacking livestock or children just the really hungry ones and obviously they were hungry!!!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Ive been stalked by Wolves when grouse hunting...luckily not with my setters at the time, dont think they'd fare so well...that big wolf bullying dawg you got deserves a big medal!  Wolves are a beautiful creature,  but ya have a whole different take on em once ya have a run in with em.... as opposed to the folks who'd like to give em a big hug and give em a milk bone... from what they show ya on animal planet and try to tell us we shouldnt fear them, that its a big fable as to the lable we put on them.... they are Wolves!  Great story SMG!!!      -thunderpout :happy1:

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

SMG

Where did you get the story from???