Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: No Bones  (Read 4640 times)

Offline BigDog

• Outdoorsman
Just wanted to give a little heads up to all the people who feed their dogs any kind of bones.  Two weeks ago I went out fishing at three thirty in the afternoon and when I got home at seven thirty my four year old lab was dead.  I brought her to the vet the next day and he did an autopsy and told me that she died from complications of trying to digest deer bones.  I had thrown a deer carcess out in the yard after deer hunting for my dogs to chew on like I do every year and appently she had some splinter and tear up her digestive tract.  She then developed pancreites which caused her lungs to fill with blood.  The vet said that this can happen with any kind of bones and said that no bones of any kind should be fed to a dog.  Hope this helps somebody from making the same mistake I made.  She was a great hunter and  our best friend.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
sorry for your loss...
thanks for the heads up.

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline JackpineRob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ouch.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and thanks for taking the time to give a reminder.  I've heard the horror stories (like yours) and in spite of it have broken down and given a few bones to my pooches over the years.  Its a thought we have all grown up - give a dog a bone......

The downside can be pretty severe.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry to hear that.... I had a life or death decision to make with my dog because of those rope chew toys... NO bones, rawhide, rope chew toys and other "chew toys" that easily break down in fragments or peices.... Nylabones, the hard ones are the only thing any of my dogs will ever get... after goin thru what I did, I have heard many stories from vets and owners about the perils of bones, rawhide, chew toys and the like..... when I go by the racks of dog toy crap in pet and sporting goods stores, I just think of all the grief and trouble its all gonna cause, its like letting toddlers play with small toys they can swallow.... almost should be a law against sellin that crap!  Pet stores know better, and thats really the tough one for me, they must make soooo much money that they close one eye and only see the $$ with the other...  -thunderpout

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Sorry about your losing your bud.
Deer bones are very bad for dogs.
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline GOGETTER

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Big Dog:  Sorry to hear of your loss.  Geno
GENO

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
sorry to hear that , thanks for the heads up   :happy1:

Offline Duckslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sorry to hear about your loss!  I know the tears that have been shed as I just lost my lab a couple years ago.  I never allowed my dog to have any kind of bones.  Some say that beef bones are OK but still....   Again, sorry to hear of your loss and good luck getting through the hard times!  Take care././Jimbo