Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My A/C went out in the house  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'm no expert at this stuff but I'm sure I could fix this myself. I came home from the long memorial weekend and turned the a/c on, after an hour or so I realized it was still hot in the house, so i went and looked to make sure I turned it on.

After I realized it was on but not working, I found out that the blower was not working.

I would guess that the blower motor is bad but is there another possibility? A switch, relay or belt? I'm more of an auto tech than a home repairman, but pulling the blower motor doesn't seem to difficult, a few screws and I believe it comes right out.

Would this need to be bench tested or how would I know if this is the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. I would also like to recharge the system or at least have it looked at for preventitive maintenance reasons.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline SoHawk

• Outdoorsman
Is it the blower in the furnace? or on the heat exchanger? usually the one in the furnace has a reset button somewhere.   you can check for power at the wires for either of them of you have a voltmeter.
you will need to get a tech to recharge the system as you need a liscense now to buy freon.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
It is the blower in the furnace that I am referring to, I did check the reset switch and it is receiving power. I just don't know if the blower is good or bad yet.

As far as the recharge, I should of worded that better, I am looking for someone that could recharge it. I could always call a repairman, but would rather find someone from the site or be referred to someone that can.

Thanks s a ton for your input.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I am not any help, but I wish mine would quit working.  I can't stand it being cold in the house.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My air is working, but it is still a little warm upstairs.  I am gonna sleep on the couch in the basement tonight.  It's nice a cool down there.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline SSN

• Outdoorsman
i think we all know who snowsnake is. he repairs and installs a/c units. maybe you could get a hold of him.

good luck
some days im gone, but thats where i am.
I.B.O.T.#361

Offline Snowsnake

• Outdoorsman
i think we all know who snowsnake is. he repairs and installs a/c units. maybe you could get a hold of him.

good luck

This is correct.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
nicely done snakey  8)
i think this should become a done deal.
a match made in heaven. :)
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Good news.... I finally tore the furnace apart today, pulled the blower motor and tested it, it was working fine. I put it back together and still nothing was working.

I finally ruled out the blower being bad and looked to the thermostat for the problem, the thermostat checked out fine too. Now I'm really pissed and confused but wouldn't give up. I turned everything back on and heard a buzzing sound coming from the furnace..... Thought to myself this could be good or real bad. ???

I walked back down to the basement and searched for the buzzing noise, it went away when I touched the pointers on the limit switch, i adjusted the pointers a tad bit and the blower kicked on. ;D Now i'm sitting in a nice air conditioned house having a cold one and trying to figure out what the pointers should be set at????

Right now the lower pointer is at 90 degrees and the upper is at 115 degrees. Should I adjust them slightly or just leave it alone now that its working?

My biggest question is why would the pointers be out of whack? Is this normal to have to re-adjust them from time to time?
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Im no help when it comes to A/C's but I am happy for you Pat ;D.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
pat my golden rule would apply here.
If it aint broke, dont fix it. if it gives you trouble again, you know right where to look.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Snowsnake

• Outdoorsman
Good news....
Right now the lower pointer is at 90 degrees and the upper is at 115 degrees. Should I adjust them slightly or just leave it alone now that its working?

My biggest question is why would the pointers be out of whack? Is this normal to have to re-adjust them from time to time?
That is your fan limit switch it got hung up as soon as you tapped it it released and allowed the fan to start.
As for your settings that should be fine. Those settings are for the heating season so your plenium has to be 90 for the fan to come on so you don't blow cold air thru the house and the 115 is the cut out if the plenium gets too hot it shuts the furnace down and that is what happened it got stuck.