Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Rendering fat.  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive taken anout 40-50 lbs of pure clean fat off my bear and i wanna renderit and make doughnuts and cookies. How dose one render fat.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ive taken anout 40-50 lbs of pure clean fat off my bear and i wanna renderit and make doughnuts and cookies. How dose one render fat.
what ya gonna use it for??????? we did that with a couple of our first bears!!!!!! we used it only for water proofing of conditioning our leather boots.

from what I remember it was done outside on some sort of older fishhouse burner. my dad took out the burners out of an old stove.

they heated it till it turned to liquid, then poured it into containers to harden. one would think you could use one of those fish fry burners or a camp stove.

this is the best I can remember...........good luck bud!!!!! I remember it stunk like hell but wasn't bad after it solidified!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Step 1: Cut or grind the fat into small pieces. Trim away any pieces of meat or blood as you go. ...
Step 2: Place fat in slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup of water to the slow cooker to prevent the fat from burning – it will evaporate during the rendering process. ...
Step 3: Strain Lard.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Doubled rendered bear fat is the smoothest moisturizer cream Ever!!!  Package little bottles and give to the ladies for xmas!! :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
so strian thru a metal.colander?? what is left over?
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Step 1: Cut or grind the fat into small pieces

Trim away any pieces of meat or blood as you go. When I first started making lard I was very fastidious about cutting away every tiny bit that had color. There’s not really any need to do that – just get the big stuff.
Step 2: Place fat in slow cooker

Add 1/4 cup of water to the slow cooker to prevent the fat from burning – it will evaporate during the rendering process. Place the lid on top of the slow cooker and set it on low.
After about an hour or so you’ll start to see some liquid in the bottom of the slow cooker. Progress! Give the pot a stir every once in awhile until the fat is completely melted.

Step 3: Strain Lard

When the lard is ready you’ll see brown bits of “cracklings” resting on the bottom of the pot with a layer of fat over them.
Pour the contents of your slow cooker over a cheesecloth lined colander to separate the lard from the cracklings.

Pour the lard into jars and set aside to cool on a countertop or in the fridge.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
If ya want, there is even a recipe for the stuff left over in the strainer.....

Don’t throw the browned bits away! You can use them to make cracklings. (See below for instructions)

Bonus Step: How To Make Cracklings

To make cracklings, simply sprinkle the leftover brown bits with a little salt and put them in a pan set over medium heat. As they cook some of the excess fat will melt away and they’ll become crispy. They’re called cracklings because they often pop and sizzle as they cook. Once they’re crispy remove them from the pan and serve. They’re delicious with a little hot sauce and a spritz of lime.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
this is awsome thanks brad. muchos thanks!
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that looks like lard from beef, NOT bear................i'd be a bit concerned doing bear fat in the house. my opinion !!! bear fat is an entirely differnet animal!!!!!! but do what ya want..............guess it depends on what you want to use the lard for!!!!!! 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
that looks like lard from beef, NOT bear................i'd be a bit concerned doing bear fat in the house. my opinion !!! bear fat is an entirely differnet animal!!!!!! but do what ya want..............guess it depends on what you want to use the lard for!!!!!!

Yes, smurf...you are correct....er....sort of....
The pictures are of pork fat, but do the same for beef.
Not sure what bear will do....but fat is fat...
And, when rendering fat, they do recommend it from pastured animals...animals that are pen raised for slaughter have the hormones and antibiotics stored in their fat....as to a bear would not....

Hell, I'd give it a shot....but, the little blue muffin head might have a point....I'd do it outside.....

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thanks HD, i ve read some on in it. and the do suggest doing it out side. cause it is different than pasturized. but it is recomend by those that have done it
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I knew you'd 2 catch on sooner or later!!!!!!!!lol. its been a while but I don't remember that rendered bear fat looking anywhere's that clear, even in liquid for.

so boar....................what da sam hell ya gonna use it for??????????????????

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i gusse my opening post says it all.dosent it.? der..
78.50"

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I've done it with pork leaf lard.  I don't know where this pasture or pasteurized comes in.   My mother used to do it with fat from my uncle's free range hogs (from before anyone had ever heard of free range hogs).    My wife called it "running hog" because it was pretty chewy meat. 

To clarify it, strain through coffee filter or mix with some water and boil gently for a while so any impurities go into the water. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i gusse my opening post says it all.dosent it.? der..
yep guess it does. Musta overlooked it looking for the slam!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: personally I wouldn't but whatever trios your trigger there boss!!
« Last Edit: September 09/19/16, 09:03:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:oh glen glen glen..
78.50"