Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minnesota Conservation Magazine  (Read 3095 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The new issue of Minnesota Conservation Volunteer magazine celebrates the fishing opener in the Twin Cities metro and warns about an invasive tree-eating insect that threatens the state's ash forests.

In "Paradise Found," writer Michael A. Kallok profiles urban anglers and the opportunity for trophy catches in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. The story also notes the role of the 1972 Clean Water Act in improving fish habitat in metro lakes and rivers.

Another story in the May-June issue educates Minnesotans about the emerald ash borer. In "Big Trouble for Ash Trees," writer Mary Hoff tells the history of how this Asian insect came to America, what damage it could inflict in Minnesota, and how foresters are preparing to respond.

Other stories include the red-headed woodpecker recovery project, a profile of Wildlife Science Center executive director Peggy Callahan, a summer photo essay by Jim Brandenburg, and a "how-to" Young Naturalists story on building your own fishing poles.

All articles are available online at www.mndnr.gov/magazine, along with Web videos and multimedia slideshows. Subscriptions to the print edition of Minnesota Conservation Volunteer are free, though subscribers are asked to make an annual donation to support the magazine. To subscribe and donate, go online or call 888-646-6367.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone else get this magazine????? the recent one has a really interesting article about lake superior lake trout. if i understand the article its still the same fish but talks about 4 different morphotypes??

based on its preferred habitat, the body structure as well as finns are built different.  this guide goes out 55 miles from land  :doofus: to find a certain type............
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we have gotten that magazine for very many years and always enjoy it...   and I have donated some each year...   great reading!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone else get this magazine????? the recent one has a really interesting article about lake superior lake trout. if i understand the article its still the same fish but talks about 4 different morphotypes??

based on its preferred habitat, the body structure as well as finns are built different.  this guide goes out 55 miles from land  :doofus: to find a certain type............

This is a great magazine that I have been getting for years.   This one has, like mentioned, a great article about Lake Superior Lake Trout.  I have had the privilege to fish with Ethan Waytashek from Lake Superior Jigging several times.   I seldom hire a guide but I wanted to learn how to jig Lake Trout in the open water.  Where do you even start and what do you look for on a lake that size? In all the years that I have been around guides I have never seen one with more passion and more drive than Ethan has.  That young man taught me more in the days I was with him than I could have learned in years of learning to fish these on my own.

On a not guided trip with him we made a run to Isle Royale.  That particular day the weather cooperated with us and we put a minimum of 150 miles on the boat.    From Grand Portage to Isle Royale I believe it is 35 miles and then we went around the island and to the far end of the island.   I believe that island is nearly 40 miles long.    What a BLAST.  Fish out there are bigger and a lot more aggressive.  I will be back there!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great magazine.  Our family has gotten for years.  We donate every year too. 

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i got it for alot of years, then it seemed like as Editors changes so did the content of the magazine. i didnt care for it so i cancelled it.

when my mom passed i got hers, read it and thought this is pretty good again. i sent a letter informing them she passed but i would like to get it. sent 50 bucks, 25 for a donation and 25 for a memorial for mom.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman