Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 11157 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
think Ken mentioned a while back garden seed catalogs are showing up!! i got one from Jungs last week.

i meandered through FF yesterday..........they were setting up the garden seed display!!!!! :doofus: :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking for rutabeggar seed no doubt... :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:oh yea...along with beets, olives, and cottage cheese seeds to!!!!!!!! :crazy: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:oh yea...along with beets, olives, and cottage cheese seeds to!!!!!!!! :crazy: :rotflmao:

now yer talkin!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
You couldn't give me cottage cheese seeds. Only good for making Lasagna. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I got my Gurneys Seed catalog and my Murray McMurray catalog already. I gotta get busy on the chicken coop pretty soon.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have gotten.....

Vermont Bean and Seed
Holmes
Johnnys
Territorial
Seed Savers Exchange
Jungs
Park
R.H. Shumway
Morgan County Seeds

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey you guys! It's getting late! I planted radishes in the bed on the south side of the house at lunchtime. About 6' worth of white globe and 6' worth of cherry belle. Also planted about 4' of mesclun mix by the air conditioner where the soil was bare. I figure if nothing else the cats will think it's a great place to poop! 💩

Interestingly enough, I saw multi-colored Asian ladybeetles traipsing around while I was out there. Also noticed the miniature daffodils were coming up. Might have to keep an eye on them. Could be cause for covering them up with something should the weather take a turn back into the deep freeze. 
« Last Edit: January 01/31/24, 03:23:03 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck!!!    :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think the earliest I tried planting radishes before was somewhere around March 9th. They sucked. Bolted rather than setting much for bulbs. When the opportunity presents itself however, ya gotta plant 'em in January just to say you did it. Seed was 2022 & last year's model so not out much other than my time. Gives me something to watch to see what happens. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck!!!    :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
X2........ :rotflmao: :rotflmao: guess thats what happen when you got so much spare time on your hands!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rolleyes: :evil:

i'm thinkin of heading to runnings to get my seeds in the next few days!!and a few other goodies!!!!

« Last Edit: January 01/31/24, 03:39:24 PM by Dotch »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Poppy made me do it! She misses playing in the garden.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I planted some peppers and tomatoes...INSIDE. I'm not cuckoo.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I planted some peppers and tomatoes...INSIDE. I'm not cuckoo.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: says who!! :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok well I'm not that cuckoo.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our garden is nothing as big as you guys but it does get better every year.   We do the best with red onions.  They stay good for a long time hanging in the basement.  Still using them.  Cukes we really like as well as green beans that we are getting better at.  Of course 6 tomato plants too.  This year we only want 4 cuz they get too crowded in our box thing.  Early girls we kind of like. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Planting radishes on January 31 in Minnesota.  :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya, we did plant some radishes.   :happy1:  The first year that we planted lettuce it turned out great.  Since then just hasn't been very good.
« Last Edit: January 01/31/24, 05:58:31 PM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh ya, we did plant some radishes.   :happy1:  The first year that we planted lettuce it turned out great.  Since then just hasn't been very good.
last year my lettuce and spinach bolted right away......lack of moisture and big time heat early. usually i have good luck with it....just gotta keep cutting and using it when its young and tender.....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do think I let it grow too long before cutting it. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Planting radishes on January 31 in Minnesota.  :confused: :confused: :confused:
:scratch: A mild December & January....................probably :snow5: middle of April.  :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Do most of you concern yourself much with soil pH?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

Only when growing blueberries. No house water.....ph to high. Rain water only.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Since part of my educational background is in soil science, I like knowing where the pH is at. We can run into issues in places where the pH is low, getting down into the high 4 and low 5 range. When that happens, availability of things like phosphorus and potassium can be compromised. Lime can be called for to correct the issue. No sign of that in our gardens but that's why I did the soil test. I have one garden area where I've been dumping ashes & the pH is 7.6. Sometimes high pH is corelated to low phosphorus availability because of free calcium carbonate tying it up. Soil test indicated otherwise. Plenty of phosphorus & potassium available according to that so I quit dumping ashes on it. Guys who spread hog & turkey poop would be proud to have soil test levels like those.  :cool:   
« Last Edit: February 02/01/24, 11:26:23 AM by Dotch »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
When I was checking to see if my radishes were up, I noticed some of the regular daffodils were starting to poke through.  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: well are they???? i expected pictures of recently grown radishes!!!!!1 :pouty: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The walnut trees that I'm pruning are dripping sap.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
friday i hit runnings and picked up my  Livingston garden seeds..........they aint giving them away. 2.99 per pack. did seem like more seed then last year???

hit FF also for a few things........noticed they have the Livingston seeds too!!!! :confused: same price. what i did notice the other brands like Burpee, usually had a sign that said if package is marked say, 1.69 it be maybe 30-40 cent cheaper.......not this trip around??????/

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I saw the Livingston Seeds yesterday at FF too. Didn't have time to stock up but will need to replenish my radish & mesclun seed supply before they run out. Been a run on them I'm told. Lots of bare shelves elsewhere. Tried to find jigsaw puzzles for the wife. No can do. :coffee:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
both places i went had plenty on the shelf........for now.........part of the reason i get them now.....i waited to long once and didnt have much to choose from.

i wouldnt know the first place to go for jig saw puzzles!!!!!!!!!! target????????