Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 532683 times)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
From what I saw of Blackmon against the Packers "limited" describes ability and practice time.  :sleazy:
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't heard much speculation that this could be Harrison Smith's last game.  Your thoughts?

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
These guys could be playing their final game on Sunday....

Harrison Smith
Danielle Hunter
K.J. Osborn
Jordan Hicks
Lewis Cine
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Smith was seriously considering retiring last season is what I read. Then they hired Flores & that helped him decide to come back. He took a pretty good cut in pay to do it too. Been another tough year, so I can see where he might want to retire while he's still healthy. But I hope he doesn't as he can still play, plus it would great for Bynum & Metellus IMO. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They will need money to pay Jefferson and a QB (Cousins???) Smith will probably retire. Hunter will want to much even though he had a good season. With Addison on the team, Osborne will most likely go free agent. Hicks might come back. He played well in Flores's defense. Cine won't be missed. Barely played.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree on those guys, Ken, but it looks like almost 1/2 the team will be free agents according to this.  :scratch: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/minnesota-vikin

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked at several teams on that website. Just click on the team you want and it lists them. Almost every team I looked at has as many or more as the Vikings do.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I looked at all 32 teams & only found Carolina along with Detroit with as many as the Vikings(27), & Houston has 28. :confused: The total # for each team is on the left just above the 1st player's name after you pick the team & update the page.   

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I checked quite a few and most are in the 20s. I would guess most are second and third stringers. QB's are usually the highest paid on a team.

It really isn't how many are on the list, but who is on the list. The Vikings have 2 of the top 5 paid free agents in Cousins and Hunter. That's $52 million for 2 players.

And Jefferson wants to be the highest paid receiver.....
Tyreek Hill, Miami Dolphins: $30 million (4 years, $120 million)
Davante Adams, Las Vegas Raiders: $28 million (5 years, $140 million)
« Last Edit: January 01/04/24, 03:20:09 PM by KEN W »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, 17-18 of our FAs aren't starters & are making ~$2.5 mil or less. It looks like almost 1/2(8) are on the last year of their rookie deal too, as they are making < $1 mil. Bosa's new deal with LAC is for 5 years & $135 mil.
« Last Edit: January 01/04/24, 04:04:30 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
sign JJ, capt kirk and Hunter!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Found this & thought some here might be interested as 4 Vikings made their list. I was pretty surprised with 1 of them. :confused:  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agency-primer-best-free-agents-every-position

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree with you, Gunner.  But in the back of my mind I wonder if Dobbs could have worked out. He had a couple good games, followed by a couple of terrible games. I don’t think Mullins did any better, and maybe with a little more time in the system……..?

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
If the Queens eek out a dubya, anyone know who all has to loose for dem to get in da playoffs?   :confused:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I agree with you, Gunner.  But in the back of my mind I wonder if Dobbs could have worked out. He had a couple good games, followed by a couple of terrible games. I don’t think Mullins did any better, and maybe with a little more time in the system……..?
When Dobbs was good was the first two games when there was a very limited offense put in for him and very little tape on him. When they included more offense it caused him to have to think instead of reacting. A structured offense isn't for him. Give him pass plays with 2 reads and then run, thats his game. Release him 10 minutes after the final game, he's a nice story but barely a serviceable quarterback.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Obviously, some of the people doing the analytics disagree with you db or they wouldn't have him rated as the #2 FA at QB. I too was surprised to see him ranked that high. Then if you look at the guys behind him on their list, 6 out of the 8 have had more success as a backup & more experience as a starter. :confused:
« Last Edit: January 01/06/24, 02:28:55 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If they keep Dobbs I will find a different favorite team to watch. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Do you get Packer games, LPS? ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: January 01/06/24, 08:15:38 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
If the Queens eek out a dubya, anyone know who all has to loose for dem to get in da playoffs?   :confused:
:scratch: So...............................you say there's a chance? :smiley: There is....................but it looks slim to none to me.  :rolleyes: https://www.vikings.com/news/nfc-playoff-picture-status-after-week-17 :pouty:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
:scratch: Obviously the people doing the analytics disagree with you db or they wouldn't have him rated as the #2 FA at QB. I too was surprised to see him ranked that high. Then if you look at the guys behind him on their list, 6 out of the 8 have had more success as a backup & more experience as a starter. :confused:

I'll be honest I don't read the links that get posted. I wouldn't know who was ranked #1 or #10. Being the skeptic I am I take those rankings as info they get from a phone call or text to the agents, teams or bookies. Maybe they know something, maybe they don't. The only thing I know about Dobbs & Mullins is what my eyes told me. My eyes told me Dobbs didn't have the time to process the information and then get the ball down the field if he had to make several reads. Maybe there was more to it.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Here is an example from the Athletic of tossing mud against the wall to see what sticks. IMO Stevie Wonder could have seen most of these situations.

Russini: What I’m hearing about the NFL coaching carousel entering Week 18

By Dianna Russini
4h ago

Most of my conversations around the NFL this past week centered on coach and general manager firings that are expected to go down early Monday. We’ll get to that in a minute.

Over the past 10 years, when I was a television reporter on air with this information, I never had an opportunity to express to those watching that digging up intel on whether someone was about to be fired can be insensitive and sad for many reasons, specifically for those families

Most coaches will tell you it’s a performance-based business they willingly signed up for. They know if you don’t win in this league, you won’t last. However, it still stinks to lose a job.

Now it is my job to find out and share with you what I’m hearing, so let’s get to it.

NFL's Black Monday stories: 'For the coaches and families, it’s an absolute nightmare'

The conversations around the league during the last month have really changed. Around Thanksgiving, it seemed that there could be a record number of firings, but better performances saved some jobs, and in one case organizational fear of getting it wrong again saved a coach and his staff.

I still expect there to be multiple firings Monday and maybe one or two more during the playoffs.

It’s all centered around New England …

New England Patriots
Robert Kraft has a big decision to make on the future of Bill Belichick. The 71-year-old Belichick wants to keep coaching, he still can coach, and the players in New England are still playing hard. After a season filled with so much talk about the end of the Belichick era, along with reports of the Kraft family being open to change, here’s what I know from conversations with multiple league sources:

• There is a meeting set for next week between owner Robert Kraft, Jonathan Kraft and Belichick.

• There are some who work for the team who are expecting changes and have started to put out feelers about jobs elsewhere.

• There are other organizations, like the Commanders and Raiders, hoping to get a chance to meet with Belichick. There are more teams in the shadows, but that will depend on outcomes from Week 18 games and playoff results.

• There has been chatter for months that if the Patriots part ways with Belichick, Houston Texans general manager Nick Caserio, a former longtime member of the personnel brain trust in New England, would want an opportunity to return to the Patriots as their general manager. But based on my conversations with league sources, Houston is where the 48-year-old wants to be.

Why would Caserio want to leave the Texans after leading the way in drafting a star-studded rookie class led by quarterback C.J. Stroud? He also hired DeMeco Ryans in 2023, and the relationship is flourishing. Caserio is on his way to building something special, and he wants to stick around to chase after his seventh Super Bowl ring, this time with the Texans.

Why the Patriots' Bill Belichick-Robert Kraft partnership is on the verge of a breakup

Washington Commanders
Ron Rivera has worn many hats in Washington during his four years as head coach. At different times he seemed to be playing the part of owner, general manager, public relations official and head coach. After serving in all of those roles, on Monday he might not have one. I was told by league sources that Rivera and his staff are well aware his time in Washington is coming to an end.

Though this season started with promise, new owner Josh Harris began discussions in search of a new head coach and general manager a few weeks back, according to a league source. The Commanders are keeping an eye on what happens in New England while hoping to hire a general manager first before landing their next head coach.

Los Angeles Chargers
The Chargers are casting a wide net, and that means looking at every option. I’ve been told by a league source they prefer to hire someone who has head coach experience and are hoping to avoid a first-time head coach. Does that mean potential head coaches like Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson or Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Frank Smith are out of the running? No, not if ownership can be convinced.

University of Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, who recently hired NFL agent Don Yee (who represents both Tom Brady and Sean Payton), is a top candidate for Los Angeles. We’ll see how aggressive the Spanos family will get and if they are the first team to get Harbaugh on the phone after Monday’s College Football Playoff championship game.

Las Vegas Raiders
Even if owner Mark Davis wanted to hire Antonio Pierce, he can’t officially make him the head coach right after the Raiders’ final game Sunday. Ownership is required to interview at least two external candidates who are minorities to abide by the NFL’s Rooney Rule. The player endorsements for Pierce have been strong the last few weeks, and it’s apparent he has the locker room’s trust. Does this help? Sometimes. Does it get you the job? Not always.

Davis has always made it known that a team in Las Vegas needs a star coach. Harbaugh is very much atop his list, as is Belichick if he leaves New England. If you recall, Davis wanted to hire Harbaugh in 2015 before the coach took the Michigan job.

Atlanta Falcons
Falcons owner Arthur Blank and head coach Arthur Smith have always had a healthy, communicative relationship. They’ve had three years together, and on Sunday they have a chance to get into the playoffs with a win against the New Orleans Saints and some help from the Carolina Panthers. Smith has a six-year deal with the Falcons and has helped in the rebuilding of the roster, but they are still missing the most important piece — quarterback.

This season Blank has been unhappy with losing and inconsistent play at the QB position. He has been publicly noncommittal on the future of his head coach, and after an offseason that produced a reloaded defense and tons of highly drafted offensive players, he has reasons to be frustrated.

Internally, the sense is the staff will get another shot at this, but 81-year-old Blank isn’t getting any younger. He wants to win now. He has had conversations with people around the league that lead me to believe he’s tempted to make the move. Keep an eye out for Blank to take a big swing for Belichick too if he moves on from Smith. This isn’t a rebuild in Atlanta anymore.

Carolina Panthers
Owner David Tepper is going to try again for Ben Johnson, according to a league source. The play-caller is open to the job and will also be meeting with other teams that are expected to show interest, the source said. There’s a sense around the league that general manager Scott Fitterer may help with some of the transition but still may not be safe in his job. Carolina could be starting anew.

New Orleans Saints
The Saints staff has been operating the last few weeks as if Dennis Allen is going to stay on as head coach. Allen appears to be safe, but in conversations with league sources, I’d expect there to be changes made to some of the staff.

Chicago Bears
Team CEO/president Kevin Warren has been watching, taking notes and evaluating his head coach and team all season. Though ownership will have the final say on the future of Matt Eberflus and staff, Warren will have a strong hand in the decision. Warren recently shared that he appreciates the energy of the team around Halas Hall but offered no endorsements of his head coach.

So what can we expect from Warren? He hasn’t made any knee-jerk decisions this season, giving the staff the entire regular season to show they are the right group. He’s described as methodical. Unemotional. A planner. His decisions are all being made with a long-term approach, so while Sunday’s game against the Green Bay Packers feels huge for the staff and quarterback Justin Fields, I don’t believe one game is going to move the needle either way.

Before I let you go …
Dallas Cowboys players were told this week they cannot make the same mistake the Patriots made in 2019 in their regular-season finale against a divisional opponent. Here’s the situation:

The Cowboys can clinch the NFC East and lock in the NFC’s No. 2 seed with a win Sunday against the 14-point underdog Commanders in Washington. Though Dallas fans shouldn’t be worried about a Washington team led by Sam Howell, they can’t overlook the Commanders. This is where the Patriots come in.

In 2019, the Patriots were 14-point favorites over the Dolphins at home, looking to lock up the AFC East against a Miami team with not much to play for. But New England lost, then hosted a wild-card game against the Tennessee Titans the next week. It lost that game, too, and Tom Brady never played for the Patriots again. According to a league source, the message to the Cowboys this week was, “We can’t squander the No. 2 seed.”

If that happens? I would add Mike McCarthy to my list of coaches in trouble.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Good info......Black Monday in 2 days.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, always fun to hear the moves/fires.

Offline Sharon

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I told the boys these purple bandanas are lucky so the Vikings will win today... I don't think they believe me. 🤣🤣🏈🏈 Go Sportsball!
~ Sometimes you must create your own destiny, instead of simply living out your fate. ~

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
can't hardly blame them!!!     :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Vikings probably won't make playoffs. So we want a higher draft pick. 4 teams with 7 wins. These 3 need to win today. Bears, Falcons, Raiders. All are ahead of Vikes with 7 wins.  Jets have 6. But Don't know which is higher if they are tied at 7 wins.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
The way it looks at halftime the likes can call and make golf reservations.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I tooned in the middle if the first quarter long enough to watch the Kitties run 2 plays and score their second TD, but didn't stay long enough to see them miss the extra point. 
 :thumbs: