Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: shed antler season  (Read 11546 times)

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
great time of year to pick up last falls fallen head gear....especially bull moose ...north eastern minnesota......
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a great time to be looking for them.  THrough a lot of work and time, I have helped train my parents' dog to look for sheds.  M dad takes her out when he goes shed hunting.  It's a lt of fun.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
kingfisher1,
I'm interested in training my parent's dog to find sheds.  They have a beagle and she has a good nose.  Any hints or training tips??
"AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL"  -Jeff Simpson

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
you ever here of clicker training.......take any of your old antlers.....lay them around the house....when the dog picks one up or sniffs one......snap your fingers...or hit a clicker....then give the dog a small treat or reward......

then move the game outside in your yard......dont use the same sheds......borrow some if you have to.......

whenever the dog makes a find....have the pooch bark or get it excited....get the dog to make a fuss or show......so you can see that the dog is on something...

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
thanks TW I've tried the hide/seek method with feathers and stuff with her but the clicker idea is new to me.  I will def. give it a try.  Maybe I can get her to do the "beagle howl" when she finds one!!  :scratch:

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
the clicker......just reminds her shes doing something correct....that the dog would do anyhow.....its cheatin....but it works......

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
great time of year to pick up last falls fallen head gear....especially bull moose ...north eastern minnesota......
How much snow is up there?  Where do you normally find them?

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
on level ground we were snowshoeing in 26 inches of snow........around greenwood lake north of two harbors...off hwy 2...

where do we ..."normally".......find sheds.........there isnt really a normal.......we just follow tracks.....

then after the snow melts.....first green shoots are appearing......you can hike timber slashings........they stick out like gray driftwood.......you get used to spotting them after awhile......lot more folks hunt antler sheds that time of year tho.......

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
check out minnesotabucks.com    these folks are experts.........its just cool some of the finds and photos........but make no mistake they put in the woodtick time........

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Went out this afternoon and followed some trails.  Didn't find any sheds but did see a lot of sign and found 4 or 5 fresh beds.  The search continues.
 :cold:

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Anyone been out lately?  Any luck?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
As soon as I find some time i'm heading out. Maybe next Sunday. Will report my findings. Never had much luck shed hunting, hoping to change that this year.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
im going to give it until next week, because some of the snow may melt because its suppose to be nice high 20's low 30's with plenty of sunshine. but i may go out this saturday anyways just because its suppose to be 35 degrees and sunny. good luck everyone

Offline bigeight

• Minnow
Isn't it a bit early yet? I put my trail camera back out after the season and as late as last week I had several bucks come thru still supporting head gear. Last year I noticed the antlers dropping around the middle to late February.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I dunno if it's to early.....  :scratch:

I found one 1/2 of a small 8 already.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Who knows...

I heard of people finding sheds late December! You would think that is too early. About 5 years ago I ran into two monster bucks in the metro area that still had full sets of antlers and that was late march. I'm not sure the science behind when antlers fall off. I think I know but I had better double check before I run my mouth and spread bad info.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
The timing of bucks shedding their antlers depends on hormones.  A drop is testosterone will result in bucks dropping their headgear.  That's why they drop at different times.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
The timing of bucks shedding their antlers depends on hormones.  A drop is testosterone will result in bucks dropping their headgear.  That's why they drop at different times.

That is what I thought I read as well..

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Went out today.  No antlers but I did happen to spot this.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
 My boy and I are planning to spend some time in the woods over the weekend shed hunting. Good luck to those who venture out  :happy1:
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline MnDeerStalker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wish I could have gone out today it was so nice but will have to wait till next weekend hopefully it will be some what nice out my twin girls and are going to go looking!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
Who knows...

I heard of people finding sheds late December! You would think that is too early. About 5 years ago I ran into two monster bucks in the metro area that still had full sets of antlers and that was late march.

My thought on the metro bucks is there is a large # of does and they are breeding later into the year than say up in the big woods. Not to say there is a science to it. Just generally speaking I think metro VS out of town they keep there antlers later in the metro
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline MnDeerStalker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
anyone finding any "big ones" I am going to hit it hard this weekend so hopfuly we will find something! Good luck to all who try :happy1:

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Partially. Over all health, feed and genetics also make a difference. I had a buck that was 6.5 when I got rid of him. You could count on a day or two one side of Valentines day every year he would drop. I also had one that dropped early January every year. Same feed, health, and exposure to does.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was out this weekend and saw 4 bucks and all had antlers. That was about a 100 miles south of the cities. So have not dropped yet.
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline MnDeerStalker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Havn't seen a buck around here for a few weeks so not sure if they are still carryin or not but fun to look anyway.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
We are lucky. I believe Wyoming just passed a law limiting shed hunting. I assume it pertains to public lands, but not sure. I can't even remember where I read it. Just in the last day or so.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline clay5735

i was out coyote hunting today and happened to run across this nice 1/2 of an 8 pointer in the middle of a big field!! its got me all pumped up im going shed hunting all weekend i have talked to guys down in austin mn and they have found a bunch of antlers already and i have seen 3 bucks killed on the roads and you can see that they have already lost there horns also i have seen 4 really nice bucks in the last week that have had only half a rack on!! so i would say its getting to be that time again!! good luck guys and girls

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sjohnnie26

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Clay, nice find and good luck this weekend.  I'm going to try and get out one day this weekend, weather looks good.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
a few things I learned today shed hunting.

1. the mcdonalds in pine city is awful
2. it's better to get stuck in the snow than the mud
3. when digging out your truck it's better to have a young lab with you who's digging too
4. a neighbor regardless of how late they arive after you dug out your truck is always welcome when they bring you a cold beer
5. a lab can find a dead porcupine regardless of how far your buddy says he tossed it into a swamp
6. deer seem to wander with little purpose, they wouldn't need to eat so much if they would just walk a straight line
7. walking in the woods with a young lab is fun (but makes me miss the old one)

either way it was a fun day out wandering around
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"