Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: gardening 2016  (Read 45183 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Uh...never mind.  ;) Nice cantaloupe, Dotch!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Picked some sweet corn last nite! Mater's are starting to really ripen. That rain was awesome for the garden. Was getting pretty dry. Not to mention replenished my rain water supply!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The wife is about done with our garden.  She has enough pickles and green beans canned.  Now it's just the maters, peppers, and onions for salsa.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Devoured some of that melon last night. Very good for the first one. Hopefully they keep coming now. Will have to take inventory while Mrs. Cheviot is gone. Looked like more 'maters coming so there probably needs to be some bacon and lettuce in my future. :happybounce:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Devoured some of that melon last night. Very good for the first one. Hopefully they keep coming now. Will have to take inventory while Mrs. Cheviot is gone. Looked like more 'maters coming so there probably needs to be some bacon and lettuce in my future. :happybounce:

Haveta back the BLM movement, ya know.  Bacon, lettuce, 'mato.   ;D

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
watch it general............advertising you have green beans....Rebs just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my cukes are on there death bed. still haven't received the crop loss check yet for the green beans. plenty of maters to be had. the peppers are crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
watch it general............advertising you have green beans....Rebs just around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No prob. I've got the coordinates and called in an air strike.   ;D

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

No prob. I've got the coordinates and called in an air strike.   ;D

Make sure the air strike tills it up nice :happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
he'd miss anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Look out, ya little blue munchnik, or I'll blow a load of green beans all over ya!  ;)

By the way, The Early Girl are really kickin' in this week. Finally!!! BLT' s just over the horizon..... :dancinred:
« Last Edit: August 08/14/16, 11:17:10 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
My garden is going strong. August is the best month if you are a gardener. Finished my second batch of corn. Number 3 should start in a few days. Green beans are done. What's left will be for next years seed. Picked the first Sun Jewel melons today. Lots of Tomatoes for canning. Peppers are really slow this year for me. Not enough heat I guess. Way to many zucchini as usual.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Same here. Tomatoes are rolling along, the string beans, zucchini, and cukes ditto. 1st sweet corn of the year. Ambrosia, a 75 day bicolor SE, planted June 12th. It's young but ready to eat after only 64 days. It has been a warm summer overall with ample rainfall in generally measured amounts. About 50 measurable rainfall events since the last week in March. Radishes planted August 11th before the rain were emerging already on the 14th. Peas have germinated. but could use some help from the forecast rain tomorrow to emerge. The rain on the 12th was a pounder so there is a crust.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
by sunday the mater plants I have left will be yanked out. that will leave only carrots and kalarabi left in da garden for 2016.. kinda sucks come to think of it!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Why are you yanking yer 'maters out now?!?!?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
gonna do it on sunday, by then I wont have any maters left on the vines, they will all be ripe enough to pick. when completely ripe or real close to it I put them in the frig to slow down the process. except maybe my supersweet 100!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
IN THE FRIDGE?!??!?!?!?! MATERS???!?!?! AHHHH MY GAWD................................ :doah: ROONY!!! HELP!!!!! 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still have some string beans to pick yet but the mosquitoes are really dampening my enthusiasm to pick them. I did get some mosquito nets that are reasonably helpful. Squash vines are toast so may as pick 'em, save a few to eat fresh and freeze the rest. Otherwise I suspect they aren't going to keep as wet as it's been. Muskmelon crop was a bust. Wet weather = no flavor. Sheep seem to like them however. Still some tomatoes yet but this will be their last hurrah methinks. The plants will likely stay in the ground though as muddy as it is after the latest monsoon. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
IN THE FRIDGE?!??!?!?!?! MATERS???!?!?! AHHHH MY GAWD................................ :doah: ROONY!!! HELP!!!!!
if you had as many as I have you'd be putting them in the frig to.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
if you had as many as I have you'd be putting them in the frig to.

Make sauce and KATCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or skin, chunk, and zip-loc bag freeze 'em!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the maters I have left will be consumed by the end of next week. one more meal of BLT'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just took some bacon out to have those for lunch!!!!  ;D

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
YOU put katchup on those too??????????????????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
               :doah:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dyhidrating more peppers tonight, Anaheim and Jalapeño.
Tomorrow will be Ghost and Scorpion.

Picking cukes for salad tonight. Have some late season peas coming along, I have some that will be added to the mix along with some radish.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man HD..............you must go thru the peppers!!!!!!!!!! specially da smoking ones!!!!!!!!

my garden will be tomato free by the weekend. still have some carrots and kalarbi left but they are getting down there.

sometime here in the next 3 weeks depending on the weather forecast I gotta get my garlic replanted!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Whacked down the sweet 100 'mater plant this afternoon. Early Girl is still putting out fruit, so I'll hold off 'til the 1st frost, and wrap up all the green ones to ripen downstairs. Now, if I could fin=d someone blowing out Turfbuiler for $9 a bag, I'd be happy. Happens every Fall; just have to catch it, as it's gone in a day usually.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yes, I do Glendale...... and you can tell the difference when dyhidrating Jalapeño and Scorpion. The air just SMELLS of heat, enough to make you cough and make yur eyes water. Oooofffftttaaaa....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Whacked down the sweet 100 'mater plant this afternoon. Early Girl is still putting out fruit, so I'll hold off 'til the 1st frost, and wrap up all the green ones to ripen downstairs. Now, if I could fin=d someone blowing out Turfbuiler for $9 a bag, I'd be happy. Happens every Fall; just have to catch it, as it's gone in a day usually.
quit being such a tightass! Spend a little less on the neighbor lady!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :sorry:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hauled in all the pumpkins, gourds, and squash.  Mowed down what was left and the "pumpkin hill" is ready for winter.  Still have some taters to dig and then it's done for the year.  The deer had a good feast this year. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
quit being such a tightass! Spend a little less on the neighbor lady!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :sorry:

Hey, ya lop-eared mutt, us poor folk gotta do what we gotta do to get by! I just remodeled that downstairs, new carpet, new 'fridge, new furniture...I'll be in debt until the cowz come home or you wise up! (not betting on that one) Not rolling in that "union dues jing" like some folk..... :scratch: ;D