Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Archery news - St Cloug area  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Outdoors column: Fall hunt may be a possibility

Published: July 08. 2007 12:30AM

With good hunter success last year and the fact that deer numbers remain high within the city limits of St. Cloud, it appears as though a second archery hunt will be held within the city this fall.

I talked with Lisa Schleisman, health director for St. Cloud and Department of Natural Resources Area Wildlife Manger Fred Bengtson this week and both confirmed that the hunt would again take place and even expand a bit from last fall.

Last year's hunt was deemed a success. Of the 38 hunters who participated, 24 shot deer. Complaints were minimal and Schleisman praised the archery hunters for conducting themselves in a respectful manner.

While 24 deer may not seem like much, especially when deer numbers remain high and show no signs of declining within city limits, last year's hunt was a start in the right direction.

This year, 50 permits will be available and Schleisman would like to see the hunts expand into other city parks and areas where deer complaints are heard most regularly. She's currently working with landowners and hopes some new areas will be available to hunt by this fall.

While the hunt is confirmed, the exact boundaries and locations are yet to be established. That should be completed within the next three weeks and then posted on the St. Cloud Web site.

While deer complaints continue to be taken by city officials on a regular basis, those of deer feasting on gardens, shrubs, and flowers or the deer/car collision calls, Schleisman doesn't want the hunt to get too big too fast.

This is probably the best approach. These types of regulated hunts have worked well in other cities statewide if given time to have an impact.

You just can't send 150 people into the woods one season and expect everything to go smoothly. It's a learning experience for the city and something new for local hunters as well.

But collectively, over a period of years, the two groups will get closer to the goal of reducing deer numbers where they shouldn't be so high. I know of several hunts in cities at, or slightly larger than, St. Cloud where archery hunters are used each year to manage the deer herd.

It may take a few years before you notice the difference in your garden or flowering plants. But this archery hunt is the best and most humane way to get the local deer population thinned out.

This is the opinion of Times outdoor columnist Glen Schmitt. Contact him at 253-5789 or by e-mail at glens@outdoornews.com.

« Last Edit: July 07/08/07, 07:50:28 AM by Grute Man »
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
W#ell I am glad to here it is going to happen agin, Hopefuly I get draw this year :)
« Last Edit: July 07/08/07, 09:14:37 AM by awb500magman »

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I agree AWB i didn't get the tag last last year and really hope for this year.

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey Grute is St.Cloug kind of like the Crow Wong? ;D LUVNLIFE

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
 :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO:   :ROTFLMAO: 

I didn't even notice that.  TOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!   ::hittingself::

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.