Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Morels!!!  (Read 3196 times)

Offline BirddogBenelli

• Outdoorsman
  • Benelli @ 6 months
Didn't see any posts on Morel mushrooms yet.  Is it just me or am I the only one day dreaming about them?   :party3:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
i have never hunted them before, but would like too.
any tips you could share?

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
One rule of thumb I've learned is Morels come out when the Lilacs begin to bloom.  Another thing I learned about Morels, they go GREAT with a roast beef, and make an excellent gravy!   :chef: ;D
And most importantly, when hunting morels, be vewy vewy quiet!  :fudd:  :fudd:  ;D
« Last Edit: March 03/14/08, 03:07:13 AM by Woody »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got a question, are there any other mushrooms out there that can be mistaken for Morels?

I seen some on my property last year, I took them to a buddy. He said they were Morels, but wasn't 100% positive.

I didn't try them cause I didn't want to croke.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah theres a few to look out for that look similar, get a guide. theres a couple books out there.  The best is morels sittin next to a campfire roasted trout and a cool one on the side! :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've been thinking about it but it's hard to plan any thing when the ground is frozen under a half foot of snow.   :party1:
Hunterdown, yes there is on called a faulse morrel.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline BirddogBenelli

• Outdoorsman
  • Benelli @ 6 months
Yes there is false morels.  word of thumb with morels is "if it isn't hollow, don't swallow."  Look for standing dead elms and just start looking around the bases of them and you might get lucky.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
do you mean hollow referring to the stem? I know a place where there are alot of them but am afraid of em.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
do you mean hollow referring to the stem? I know a place where there are alot of them but am afraid of em.

LOL well dont show anyone the spot. go pick them and find the magic mushroom man and sell them to him..

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
It is in Minnetonka in a new development with alot of big ole downed trees (oak and elm) one of the block layers last spring picked a 5 gal. pail full last spring but I haven't seen him since.
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline BirddogBenelli

• Outdoorsman
  • Benelli @ 6 months
ken- tell you what I will do.  Lets plan on going to this place right around the first of may, I will show you what a morel looks like and we will split our findings?  fair? :drinking:

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm too afraid of a slow, painful death.  I will stick with store bought.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't picked mushrooms but would like to. Morels seem to be the ones most talked about but other mushrooms are edible also. I have ate some of them but haven't an idea what they look like other than on a plate. Does anybody have info on others as well?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
I was told that the best ones grow on cow pies...

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
ken- tell you what I will do.  Lets plan on going to this place right around the first of may, I will show you what a morel looks like and we will split our findings?  fair? :drinking:
sounds good to me. Does it help to look a day or two after a rain?
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline Crazy4Outdoors

• Outdoorsman
We went out as a family yesterday and found about a pound of morels.  They're a bit small yet but we found a few decent size ones.  We brought them home, cleaned them up, and some company stopped in so we cooked them up right away -- beer, butter, garlic -- yummy!!!  They were devoured by all!!