Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How important is it to you?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
How important is it to you to have a deer camp or a fish camp?
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i think deer camp is a blast, of course most deer camps are all about drinking and having a good time first  :tequila; :drinking: :drinking:and deer hunting second lol. we have traditions at our deer camp and there fun and important.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
How important is it to you to have a deer camp or a fish camp?

I would have to say i could care less.... Im there to hunt not party all though it is a fun time... 

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

I look forward to Deer Camp every year! It's a time to get out in the woods with good friends and relatives, enjoy the outdoors and have some fun. I joined Outdoors Junkie and the Jim Moline Gang's Deer Camp at Upper Red Lake for the first time last season and had a blast. It's great to have a group of folks that you know and trust to hunt with and then spend time with at night sharing hunting stories, playing games and just plain enjoying each others company. It's also nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life...
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Its a part of life... no more needed to be said! (but I will...) For me, its not just a once a year hunt/party... we go up to our camp multiple times a year for camping, grouse hunting etc. My buddies  late Father has his ashes scattered near his old stand there, as are his old bird dogs ashes.  Its one of the most peaceful places I frequent...my blood pressure drops and my head clears the moment I get out of my truck when I go up there.... :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
For me, we don't have a "deer camp"

My kids and me hunt on the "back 40" (ok it's more than 40)

Mama Hunter usually has breakfast waiting for us, around 9 or 10 when we take our first break.
(unless we get something sooner)

So, the time spent with the kids means more to me than anything in the world!

If you want to catorgorize that as "deer camp" then to me, it's priceless!

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
Deer camp is at my cabin . Its always fun to get together with the cousins and the friends I bring with . Breakfast is before we leave in the morning .Then we have a day camp somewhere in the woods where we have a fire and lunch .Its also a gathering spot off and on during the day. After dark we head back to my place and have supper, a few cool ones and a big BS session.

Fishing camp is at a friends camper that we've opened the season out of every year except a few since 1978. It's always a gathering of a few friends and we always catch what we  went there for .

I love them both and wouldn't miss one unless I'm in the hospital or the morgue . Even if its mandatory overtime at work , I'm at camp . Work has learned over the years not to mess with my hunting and fishing . Same with the family.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
If someone hasn't experienced deer camp, you don't know what you are missing.  I have gone to the same deer camp since I was 12 years old.  It has been 23 years!  Playing cards, cribbage with grandpa, drinking a few cold ones, telling stories of the past years, spending time with family and friends it can't be beat.  This year I will be bringing my 12 year old with.  It has gone full circle!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
I dont have one, but i think about all the fun times and stories that go around the camp either hunting or fishing..
Do you leave a log book out.. and each year enter what you got? so that when it handed down to your kids or whom ever they can look back 60 years from now and say wow... the deer were big or small back then???

Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
whenever someone gets a deer we take a picture and it goes on the wall big or small

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok so you have a wall there and you put up picks.. maybe you should log it, the log might last longer then a picture will.. Some i heard have a wall people sign on when they have visitors come

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
well the name date and weight is on the pic. we have pictures on there going back a ways.

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
I have a log book at the cabin. But it is for more than how big the fish or deer were . Something gets written in every time someone is there . The weather, what happened, what was done, who was there, etc.. Anybody that comes can write in it. Over the few years that we've had it , it can be looked over for reference. It's something for someone to read when they are there too.

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
That great, i think that is very important.. to sit around the night before opener and go over log book, think of the stories one can tell, the beers drank and the dreams of getting that big one..

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I love camp whether it be fishing hutning  :blablabla:.  I want my kids to know the same thing.  My oldest already does.  I want them to know when they break away from me and Momma Grute, this is one of the cool things in life to go do.  I didn't make the best choices when I made my break away from home so I want better for my kids.  Deer camp to me is being with people who love to be where there is no phone, tv, computer  :blablabla:  Just people and nature.  I never sleep better than when Im up at camp.  And Im rarely with people as good as them.  Wouldn't it be nice to join each others camps?  But then that means missing out on our own traditions and fun - the things we only do there. 

One reason I relly love deer camp is because the guy who owns the cabin is the (retired) Pastor who married me and Momma Grute.  Here's how it went and this is no joke "And do you Lorri take Don to be your lawful wedded wife?"  I could hear the brakes lock up then nothing but laughter.

Here's to Pastor  :toast:

Here's to being a "Lawful wedded wife"  :tequila;     :rotflmao:   ;D   :rotflmao:   ;D

Grute  :dancinred:
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My hunting camp consists of a couple travel trailers.  No electricty, no water, just peace and quiet.  Although I hunted the property since the mid 1980's the official "camp" has only been in place since around mid 1990's when I purchased the property from my uncle.  I spend many days at camp, planting and cutting trees, planting and cutting food plots, hunting morels, observing nature, and oh, yes, hunting.   I have kept a log of hunting success and general activites since 1985.  For example, I can tell you that on the last Saturday of the 1997 season, I shot a doe off the field in a snow storm.   Pick a year and a day and I can pretty much reconstruct what we saw and shot. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Crazy4Outdoors

• Outdoorsman
Our "deer camp" is right in our garage, where we're surrounded by the woods we hunt ever day.  It has become a great tradition, and the kids are able to enjoy "deer camp" whether they're old enough to hunt or not.  When we come back from a sit or a drive, they come running outside to see if we have anything loaded in the truck, or they watch to see if we back the truck up to the wood shed (where we hang the deer).  Then they all get to join us in the garage/deer camp for food, fun, stories, laughter, joking, and yes - we've been known to have a few cold ones when the hunt is over for the day -- that's Deer Camp.  I wouldn't give it up for nothing.  Now that the kids are hunting with us, they're enjoying it even more!  Yes, it's great to be out shooting the deer too (or at least trying to), but the fun and memories of "deer camp" are awesome!