Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Any ideas on kayak's  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
I am looking at kayaks this fall when a lot of them go on sale.. I have noticed there are alot of different kinds.. I have no clue whats what..
What are you views on them.. and also the inflatable kind too?
Need some help
thanks
ng
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
i got one i think its a nekkey  sp?  ill look.. ill sell it if you want it LOL

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Now that's someth'in I don't know if I'll try.....

What if ya flip and ya can't flip it back over......blub.....blub.....blub.....blub

I got to much other junk going on.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a outdoor show this weekend on the tube , and theres a company in Merrifeild Mn that makes really cool fishing kayaks... dont remember the co.'s name, but they were really cool, not just a regular kayak with rod holders.  Yeah, tried the whitewater kayaks in high school & boy scouts and could never do the rollovers with em... would always get stuck upside down underwater... The more open lake kayaks are more my speed... and more stable for fishing.  It'd be nice to have one....

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Thunderpout-I saw that bit as well.  The name of the company is Crow Wing Kayaks. 

Here's their link------>   http://crowwingkayaks.com/
They look like VERY nice kayaks-perfect for fishing!

Tell them I sent ya-it won't get ya a discount-heck they don't even know who I am!   :rotflmao:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah Woody... thatz them!  They are sweet aint they? :happy1:

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
think i am going to sell my canoe and get a kayak.

Offline CampYJewel

• Master Outdoorsman
We bought a Kayak last fall when they were on sale at Reeds in Brainerd.  I took it out for a maided voyage and quickley went back to shore.  There were white caps on the lake and it was about to freeze over.  It is a longer, orange one  ;D  Since I have not seen it since last Oct. I don't remember what it is.  We will be going to the cabin soon so I will then report back on what I think of it!!!  I do know it has a spot to keep clothing/beer in a water tight area, has a nice seat, back rest and foot deals.

I do have a canoe I use once in awhile but I need to get another paddle so if I invite someone with I don't always have to do all the paddleing

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Do you or should you take a course in Kayaking before going out?
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline CampY-Buttercup

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The kayak Jewel is talking about is a 12' Old Town, Dirigo series, kayak.  We decided to go with the larger one since our family is not experienced kayakers.  We wanted something thats easy to cruise around the lake in and not be in fear of tipping over.  Also, the shorter ones had a smaller cavity and my mom and I decided that we felt like a marshmallows in a shot glass when we sat in them.  FYI: any kayak 12' or longer you do have to get a license for it.  Jewel was in charge of that so thats about all I know on the license part.

Offline JoeFisherman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Actually the rule is any watercraft over 9' is required to be licensed.  That's why I went with a 9' kayak.  I donate enough to the good ol' state of Minnesota the way it is.  There are a few exceptions such as out of state registered boats, ship's lifeboats, government owned boats, and duck boats during hunting season, but as general rule of thumb, it's any boat over 9'.

:happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
NG... as long as ya have experience paddling/canoeing, and ya have a floatation vest(ya may want to invest in the paddling type)and as long as ya start on a calm lake, and in shallow water, theyre pretty easy to get used to, unless ya get the short whitewater type, which dont have a keel and roll easy as they are meant to be very manuverable... most people start out with the open, "lake type" kayak...

Offline CampY-Buttercup

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Actually the rule is any watercraft over 9' is required to be licensed.  That's why I went with a 9' kayak.  I donate enough to the good ol' state of Minnesota the way it is.  There are a few exceptions such as out of state registered boats, ship's lifeboats, government owned boats, and duck boats during hunting season, but as general rule of thumb, it's any boat over 9'.

:happy1:

Thank you for the correction, I totally thought it was 12'.  Boy would have I been in embarrassed going through life thinking it was 12'   :oops1: