Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lets here your story and how you got to where you are, and when you started  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
 I have been meaning for a while to start this thread. I wanted to share with you, my good friends, and family little about my life.

Was born in Germany,  the only daughter of 13 kids. Father was in the army so traveling was a big part of our lives.. After Germany, we lived in Iceland, then Wellington NZ.. down under for 1 year, then my home ..Scotland..

We were all home birth, and home schooled. We got to come here and spend time with our grandparents.. my grandfather a tourney fisherman, and he also had a fishing tv show as well, taught me everything i know today. He was from wis. He also worked for Pasbt brewery..

I learn so much from him, and fly tying was one of them, along with one of my brothers.

We growing up didn't have much so we made everything we could.. Sticks with the elastic from the waste as line, paper hooks sharpened on concet, really does work..

I spent all my years growing up fishing, hunting and anything else outdoors.. 30 plus years now i been fishing and hunting.

I have 2 children, Ryan and Heather. My daughter has Cancer and had it since 2 1/2 years old, and she still fighting, even tho she doesn't understand anything anymore. She 17 now, but only 34 pounds and 41 inches tall.

I had cancer as well for a few years, and the only thing i could do was fish, and fish i did lol.. It kept mine mind working, trying to care for the kids and myself.

I moved away from Ely due to heathers treatments, and back to wis.. i lived in Pickerel lily , then white lake, all near anti go.. Heather went to marshfield for her treatments..

Then from there we headed to Phx AZ.. not the place for me... the hunting there was bad for me, the deer are so small, the mule dear are big to, and the Elk were huge as well. But no fishing, Tempe has water but not much to catch there.. So 4 long years later. The doctors said take her home and love her up. Thats it nothing else we can do after 15 years.

Here we are back in Ely, it was the only place i could think of where there was still clean air, water and places to go with out having to worry abotu being around people with heathers counts so low.

Now last fall i got a 4 wheeler
This spring i got a boat

And i cant wait for opening day, cause i am all on that stuff lol..

Lets here your story and how you got to where you are, and when you started fishing and hunting.

the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
NG, I loved your story on your life, and I wish you all the luck in the world!

I, on the other hand, cannot post a story about my life and how I came to this place.

I have a passion for helping kids.
I would give anything to see a smile on a kids face, that's where I get my reward.

Hunter
« Last Edit: April 04/08/08, 05:46:30 AM by hunterdown »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Dear Northerngal
I am so sorry to hear of your daughters health condition. I can't think of anything more terrifying than watching one of my kids suffer or the fear of losing one of them. It sounds like they are in very good hands. My best wishes.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
Thank you.. but i want to know about you all..

where you always in the state your in? born in another state?, why did you move to where you are? when did you know fishing and hunting was for you?
that sort of thing..

now lets hear some stories

Offline LittlePeople

• Outdoorsman
I was born in Lincolyn, Nebraska at 8PM on July forth. I have 3 half sisters that I am aware of, and 1 step sister and 2 step brothers. After living in Nebraska for about a year, we moved to Ok. somewhere and was there until I was about 9 years old. I grew up Protestant. Going to Wesleyan churches. My Grandpa is a pastor. My Uncle Dan is a Pastor. My Uncle Scott is...hmm, I don't know. I just know he deals with computers...somehow. My mother and father own a computer store in Custer SD, and my younger sister Holly(15, 16 in May) is pregnant and shall have her child this year in September. My Aunt Katy just had her first son.

My mother and father were going through some times, and then my mom decided to move to Des Moines Iowa, where our grandparents lived. A day later my dad was there. He got there by trading his Marvel Cards to the bus person because he had no money, or a car. He still has the rest of those right now. That's when I learned there was a such thing as a lake, river, etc. and started to fish then. My mom and Grandparents noticed I was getting hives, they thought it was from the poison IV in the church yard, but I still had it after 4 years of living in Des Moines.

We then moved to Custer South Dakota. a couple months later I started my first job, working as a dishwasher at Pizza Works/Pizza Factory.(about a year and a half later I stopped working there) Two months later My teeth started to go bad really really fast for no reason. I was brushing them alot. I never drank pop or coffee, and I really didn't have any candy. All the money I earned from working was for food for my family. When 2006 started, I was getting sick alot more. I missed alot of school, and I started to get more tired, weak and I started to forget alot more. In the end of May I started to work at Baker's Bakery and Cafe. I had been looking for a job for a half a year, since I met my Fiance. I wanted to vist him, and I wanted to be able to support myself if needed.

Then July came by..Laura, my sister's online friend came to vist over july weekend. She came on Friday, then left on Monday. Saturday we all went swiming, and for the whole month before I had not gone swiming at all, or the year for that matter. It had been awhile, and as always I was being careful about how much I do it. Relax...move some, relax..move some. As it always is when I first swim in the year. I always have to reteach myself how to anyways.
The night-time came and for some odd reason I was more tired than ever. My Boyfriend(At the time) was with his Friend Taylor and his parents out camping. He had given me his Dad's cellphone number just in case I needed to get ahold of him. And by Sunday morning I wanted to call him. I felt like I was going to die rather soon, not because I missed him, but because of something else.

Sunday morning I was at church, and all of a sudden Leaning back and then passing a note to my mother who was sitting behind me saying. "I can't breathe. My chest hurts so bad.."
She thought when I went swiming I might have pulled a muscle. Boy was she wrong, but it was a very good guess in my eyes. All day it was hurting. I couldn't sleep at all, and the monday my mom decided to bring me in to see a doctor. There was nothing wrong. My chest didn't hurt as much, and he gave me Prednisone for 5 days. Later that day I found out My boyfriend and his friend got home (while the parents still camping) because they thought it was boring and stuff. He sent me an email to wish me happy birthday, Laura left and we still had no idea.

In August 06, They finally had something. Sjogren's Syndromehttp://www.arthritis.org/disease-center.php?disease_id=27 and guess what? All the tests came back, and I found out I had it. Also found out I have RA: rheumatoid arthritis.

I had to stop working because of them. I couldn't. I was too weak, too tired and was sick more often than anyone in my family a month.

2007 went alot better than 2006, by far. July of 2007 I moved to Minnesota, and have been here since. I'm now on some medical help, and working on getting on Social Security. Soon maybe I'll be able to help pay rent! Woohoo! My first bill. And then wildlifeminnesota's son shall be spoiled. He'll get everything, I swear.

I've been writing this since 5:39pm...whoa.

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Little people you have the best man in the world he love you alot!! He will take good care of you. I know this becuse he is my son.  :happy1:
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Some day I will wright my store just for you. in tell then  :happy1:

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: April 04/08/08, 12:47:20 AM by Bobby Bass »
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Finlander

• Outdoorsman
WOW !! Those are both very touching stories ! I would like to wish you both all the luck in the world to live healthy happy lives and prosper .

It's hard to say anything after stories like that ,but I'll write something.

I was born and have lived in MN all of my life . Grew up ,graduated High school in Coon Rapids. I spent 3 long summers while I was in Jr.high at my grandparents place in Helena ,MT . That is a great state.  Started fishing and hunting when I was young . Went as often as I could.
   I married young (19) and was a father at 20  . We have 2 wonderful daughters . 1 will be 27 this month and was married 2 1/2 years ago . They live in Cambridge not to far from us . She is an accountants assistant and is going to school to be an accountant . Her husband is a plumbers apprentice .  The other daughter is 21 and was married last summer . She lives in Duluth and is attending UMD to become an elementary school teacher . Her Husband works for a lumber co. as a truck driver . 
 I've been a Maintenance Mechanic/Tech for over 22 years now and with the same company the last 14 1/2 years . I took some Tech classes over the years in Machining, Boilers, refrigeration and A/C, Electrical , and automotive electrical . I learned to be an auto mechanic from my grandfather and have done that here and there over the years . Without being in that field it is hard to keep up with it . 
 We have lived in Cambridge for the last 12 years of our almost 28 years of marriage . In 2004 we bought a small piece of property between Silver Bay and Finland ( Finland is closer ) and started our next home . We built a small house and have plans in the works for an addition with 2 garages to be built hopefully over the next 2 years . We have done all the work ourselves except for the concrete, septic and well . I have family living in the area and have been going to this area since I can remember . If the economy doesn't get to bad I'm hoping to move there in the next couple of years. Most everything will be paid for so hopefully we can live off of a couple of part time jobs .

Then I'll hopefully have more time to hunt and fish .
« Last Edit: April 04/08/08, 06:15:13 PM by Finlander »

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
I really love the story's so far... Lets hear from the rest of you all out here...

Offline LittlePeople

• Outdoorsman

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I will play along.

I was born in Grand Rapid, MN a few years ago.  I grew up in Toivola, which is a very small town between Hibbing and Duluth, but much closer to Hibbing.  I attended Toivola-Meadowlands school for 13 years and most normal schools have more students in one class than I had in the whole school.  My graduating class was 11.  After high school I went to St. Cloud State for a few years, but didn't know what I wanted to do.  I moved south to Apple Valley to work and decide what I wanted to do.  Finally, I decided that I wanted to work with computers and went to school for it.  I now live in Shakopee with my wife and two little boys.  In my spare time I put this website together so that is how I ended up here.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey (hed)rocks, way to meny years ago i went to a couple parties in Toivola. Been so long I can't even remember whos place it was at.

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Ok NG. Well you want to here my life story so here it is. I was born in a small town Duvall Washington about 30 mills west from Seattle. I have two brother one is older and one is younger and an older sister. We live in a small two-bedroom house. My mother said I was born with a fishing pole in one hand and a camera in another hand. She said she would pack my fishing pole in first because it would get under pack fast. Because I would help. I went to school at Cherry valley at age 6 1970 My KDC this is the first time I meet Sarah. In 1975 is when my grandpa took me fishing in the Pacific Ocean and I cauth my first Sammie. My mom and dad had a gas station in Duvall W.A I can remember the long lines at the pumps in the 1970 s at the age 14 I when to jr high school at Carnation and this is the second time me and Sarah was in the same class. At the age 17 I found out I had a ½ sister. Well I started high school at tolt this are the year I started to get in trouble with the law and started to drink and do drug. My life look like it was on a down hill crash for two year in tell I meet Sarah again we started to see one another for a year and had are daughter Amanita. We left the state and went to California we got here and my cousin ask me if I was going to see my brother there and I said what brother so at the age 21 I found out I have a ½ brother in California a month later my cousin was shot and kill so it was time for us to level and go to Minnesota to see Sarah grandpa he die two day before we got to Minnesota we got job and started are life together. In July in 1985.Two year past in later 1987 November 7th Sarah and me got marred and in December 9th my son was born Ashton. At the age 31 I got a phone call and it was a women tell me she was my ½ sister in California now this make three ½ brother and sister. I work at Lund boat for 15 years and won the Lund fishing walleye champ with two fish 9.5 Lb and also won a new boat motor and trailer and photographed on the side. In 202 are granddaughter was born Mariah. In life it take a long time to get here but in 2007 me and my wife been marred now for 20 year are daughter is 24 are son is 20 year are granddaughter is 6 and 2008 are daughter got marred and are son is getting marred too and on march 31 are grandson was born Kellen. A week ago to phone ring and a woman is looking for her husband dad so could this be my brother too? Me and my wife been marred 20 year 24 year together and 38 year sent we first went to school in 1970 at the age 6. Oh I will add I am not a drink and I do not do drug. I also hunt and fish all the time I love my Ice fishing too. I am in the Minnesota record book with my 11-point whitetail Buck. I am a wildlife photographer full time now. I work on Vacation guidebook and with to newspaper and wildlife books I also sell prints cloths I have 9 stores that sell wildlife products and more are be add weekly. I also do wedding and I have photography band. I also go to the school to show kids my camera and my wildlife photographs. I am working on Chilean books. To see my photographs go to wildlifeminnesota.com so when you see wildlife Minnesota it is I. One photo is of my wife and me in 1970 and 2002
 So who said love cannot last forever I have two big loves in my live my Family and the wildlife.
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline wasnowman

• Outdoorsman
Well mines a short one as I have just begun the american dream. I was born in Washington state 1978. I grew up in Duvall,Wa.. Where I spent much of my time fishing or hunting. Most my Family tells me I don't belong out here, that Montana or other Midwestern states is where I belong. At 17, I went to stay with my uncle that lives there in Minnesota you all know him Mr. WildlifeMinnesota. Unfortunitly I had to return to Washington after a few months to deal with family matters. But I returned once agian at age 19 where I stayed a little longer and then had to come back to Washington again for family matters. So now I'm still here in Washington where I have a Lovely wife Deena and a 7yrs. old son Aaron. I take care of my ailing father on top of having a family, being my sons baseball coach. I am heavy equiptment orperator, I run bulldozers, track hoes, etc. and on top of all that I am in the process of becoming a full time outfitter and guide co. I own 2 Horses, 2 cats and 2 wonderful chocolate labs that I have trained to hunt. Hunting and Fishing is who I am and it is really big in our house. I have one older sister. To me my dream has come true I have everything a man could want and then more.

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
Hey (hed)rocks, way to meny years ago i went to a couple parties in Toivola. Been so long I can't even remember whos place it was at.

It was probably my neighbors house.  How long ago was it?

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Great stories everyone, I'll take a shot here.

I ws born in a town of about 900 people, Atkinson Ill. We lived there until I was about nine years old. My dad raised coon hounds and worked for a farm fuel company and my mother was home with my brother and I. From there we moved to Lakeland Florida for a couple years where my parents ended up seperating. I have to admit it was tough at first when my parents split but now that i've grown up it was probably the best thing that ever happened to my brother and I. It sounds wierd but our parents were not happy and things were tough. We're both very close to both of our parents and things are good in that respect. From Florida my mother, brother Luke and myself moved into my aunt and uncles house in Rochester for a while and my dad stayed in Florida for a couple years before moving back to Illinois. When I was twelve we moved to Lake City. My brother and I were a lot to handle and mom wanted us in a smaller town. She started work at the hospital and finished her school and eventually became the surgery supervisor here in Lake City. When I was 15 I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle and that put the end to baseball. That was tough for me because I could play ball and always kind of figured that was my ticket. After seven surgerys and about three years of not doing much my leg was better but I had gained about 65 pounds. I wasn't happy, I started hanging out with the wrong people and getting in tons of trouble. It got so bad that I actually put a uniformed police officer in a rear naked choke when my dumb @$$ was being arrested. That was enough for mother so off to dads in Illinois. It didn't take long to shape up there, either straighten up or throw down with the old man and I wouldn't wish that on anyone!!!! My grades turned around, I spent all of my time after school in the woods clearing brush and cutting four wheeler trails on my grandparents property. I had a red tick hound named redneck that would accompany me in the woods every night rain or shine. We cleared tons of brush and dead trees from around our Lake and now have a beautiful cabin sitting there. After I graduated Highschool I came back to Minnesota and started working in a cast Iron foundry, I worked there for about four years. When I was 18 I decided to try hunting, I figured I have fishing figured out so might as well try. I bought my first Bow, a Golden Eagle Evolution and started shooting. That year I took my first ever deer. Perfect shot right through both lungs of an awesome six point buck!!! It was game over after that hunting was my new passion. I got my brother Luke into hunting also and was blessed with being able to be there when he harvested his first deer also a six pointer by bow. I was more excited for him to connect than I was when I first did. It might sound a little cliche but about two years ago I was watching biggest loser and thought wow is that what I look like? I joined the gym here in town and actally entered a biggest loser contest here that I won. I lost 45 pounds. I got down to 205 lbs with only 9% body fat. My roommate got into ultimate fighting so we started training together and I decided to try that also. Last May I had enough with the foundry and went to Montana to the Academy of Realistic Taxidermy where I learned taxidermy and met some awesome friends. I stayed out there for four months after I finished class to help out during the following class and was fortunate enough to work with some of the very best in the business! My dad and youngest brother now live in Lakeville and dad runs a company called Metro Wood, I moved in with him after taxidermy school for a while before moving back to Lake City in December. I opened up my Taxidermy shop in late December and have been loving it.
Well that's pretty much my life, not something to write a movie off but i've enjoyed it so far!!!!!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LLtaxidermy, I enjoyed your story.  I'm glad something clicked to stop your downward spiral.  It seems most people on that track in prison or dead.  Do you remember if there was one thing in particlular that made you realize you didn't want to continue the downward spiral?  Just courious.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah actually, there was a couple things. A couple friends of mine were into drugs real bad, still are and after being away for a while I realized how bad it was affecting not only them but everyone close to them. Your absolutely right too, I no longer hang out with that crowd but most of my old friends are in jail and a few have passed away due to drug related incidents. It's tough for people in a small town to stay away from that kind of stuff when so many of your friends are into it and thats why I am glad my mother did send me to dads. I might be in the same spot. It's hard though because a lot of the friends I used to have think i'm an @-hole because I don't hang around anymore but it's really the only way to deal with it.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882