Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Too wet to plant the plots.  (Read 4519 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Anyone else having problems planting your plots due to wet conditions?   We were able to spray roundup a couple weeks ago but now it's just too wet to plant.  We plan on planting some annuals and some clover mixes.  I just hope it doesn't go from water logged to dry as a bone.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The one plot I have left to plant, is all clay and has been to wet to get into.
I'm planting clover in there as well.
So, I'm waiting till August to plant it.
It'll come up just fine.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
We did get our spuds and corn in the ground, but they are talking their time coming up. Most of our garden stuff is still in the greenhouse waitng for the ground to dry up some so we can retill again. Not going to happen in the next few days as we are going to get wet wet and more wet. Lots of rain and no heat is not helping anything but the grass sure is green!
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We got lucky and got all of our plots in right before the rain came.  We havn't been back to see how they look yet. We are hoping to get back up in a few weeks.  We planted chicory, rape, corn, soebeans, clover, and a small patch of pees.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being we are not trying to get a crop to harvest, we arn't too concerned about the late start.  However, we would like to get some in before bow hunting starts.   :rotflmao:
Then again, none of our plots have drowned out yet.   :whistling:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Managed to slide the stuff in just before Memorial Day. Pheasant corn came up nice and even as did the sweet corn right beside it. They'll have to arm wrestle the Huns for that after it's done.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My corn is doing very well too, most of it is on sand and grows well with a lot of rain.

I didn't get to this one clover plot till late, it's all plowed and dragged though, just figured I'd wait.
This one is on clay, and is a replant.

The other clover field is doing well to, this one was established last year.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
still have 2 plots to go on the property by park rapids, checked the other one were i cleared some trees, roughly 50x50 (yards) and they are coming up pretty well, the deer have started attacking it though, so im hoping it to get warmer and a little dryer, but not to dry. the swamp there is starting to rise a consederable amount and i hope it goes down a bit. also got some trail cameras back out and have some good shots of a deer thats looking like he is about 2 years old and sporting a semi-decent rack already, shows that management works.

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here's a few options for late plots...

CanaMaize - This is a early variety of corn...65 to 70 day...so there is plenty of time to get that in the ground.  We even have Roundup Ready CanaMaize to make weed control easy.  Comes in 10 lb. and 50 lb. bags.  Can be planted or broadcast seeded.  If you broadcast, lightly disk the seed to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.

Soybeans - late planted soybeans can be a great attractant for archery as well as the gun season.  Plant 6 to 8 weeks prior to your hunting time or prior to frost, or whatever works for your site.  Trick is to get the bean plant to a stage where the leaves and stems are nice and succulant...deer love them!  Plant, drill or broadcast.

Peas & Oats - We started this mix a few years ago and it has really been fantastic.  Last year I planted around August 1st.  There was nice 6 to 8 inch new growth that the deer just went crazy over.  I had one 2.5 acre plot that there were 25 to 30 deer in every night!

Brassi Buck - This is a brassica mix of rape seeds and turnips.  Many of our "northern" customers don't plant this mix until beginning of August.  I like to plant around June 15 to June 30 so there is plenty of time for that as well.

I personally do not do alot of "perennials" such as clover.  You really need to have bigger plots for perennials so the deer don't graze them down.  I like to do alot of smaller plots all over the property and therefore use alot of annuals such as the ones list above.

Keep posting updates on how your food plots are doing.

Take care!

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com