Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Making bedding area question  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We are trying to make some sanctuaries on our land for some bedding areas. We've planted spruce trees in the low areas and will be doing some more selective cutting. But I was wondering if anyone has planted a type of grass that would grow good in the acidic soils and shady areas to make the bedding areas prime. I've also heard of cutting a tree about 6-8 feet high but not cutting them all the way through and letting them fall at a angle for cover.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've heard of people leaving an area as a sanctuary but never heard of someone making one.  I'd be afraid it would be a lot of work and the deer might just not like it.  Now if you have established bedding area, I guess you could enhance it somehow.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
  I have read about the cutting and leaving of trees before. I for one think it is a good Idea and I do think they would use it for bedding and cover.I would just be carefull not to cut to much. It will also allow for new growth, and that is always a good thing in 4-5 years it will be one big mess and full of all sorts of game that will spread to other parts of your land.

I also find the hardest part about something like this is being disciplined enough to stay away from it. It’s in are nature to want to look at are work and progress. Good luck!
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Spruce trees and cedar are good choices for bedding areas.
But don't forget that thick poplar groves can be prime also, they will grow just about anywhere.
And they grow fast!
If your looking to plant grass, I'm not sure where, or how to get the seed. But, the thick swamp grass that grows naturally would be the best, in my opinion.

There is a guy on here that goes by the user name of "Dotch", he might be able to tell ya.

And like bowhunter73 said, "stay away from it"....don't disturb it once it's established, otherwise it won't work.

My 2 pennies worth...
Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yeah we've planted a lot of spruce trees but they take a while and we leave the areas alone even during hunting season. Has anyone ever hear of Egyptian wheat? I've also read on qdma that switchgrass works but does it work in MN weather and in shady areas? I'm also looking at getting some juniper type plants that I could put out that will spread out. Any info you have I'd love to hear about it.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Native grasses are often one of the most overlooked habitat options with deer management...especially thick switch grass.

Here is a link to what it looks like and some info on the MNO Habitat Outlet...

http://www.habitatnow.com/store/shop/shop.php?pn_selected_category=6

A thick stand of native grass can greatly increase the "doe group" carrying capacity which can result in more dominant bucks on the property as well.

I have several thick native grass stands around my deer stand areas.  It is always amazing how I will walk in, get into the stand...and 30 minutes later 3 or 4 deer will stand up right out of the thick native grass.  When I walk around in the area, there are beds everywhere showing that they obviously like it.

Spruce and other thick areas are excellent "thermal cover" and the deer will use those areas whether these are naturally occuring or man made.  Try establishing some thick native grass areas downwind from these thermal areas for additional bedding...I think you will find that the deer will use the thick grass more.

Great question!

Kyle, PLM

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
LandDr maks a good point.  I was thinking of bedding areas for winter, but during summer and fall, they do use open grassy areas.  Four years ago we established a couple reparian buffer zones (180 feet wide and about a quarter mile long between swamps and higher ground).  We planted trees in the area and allowed the grass to grow.  The area is packed with deer beds all summer and fall.  We don't really stay out of it or hunt it but if you walk through, you most likely will jump a deer or two.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I would concur with the switchgrass/native grass approach. Between that and Canada wildrye, they seem to show up a lot of places where one doesn't generally think they would, even in areas like my aunt's meadow in northern MN in the woods where it was cleared in the early 1900's. While I'm not a deer hunter, still get a look at a lot of them and particularly where they like to bed down on our own property in southern MN. They seem drawn to those switchgrass areas on top of the berms. The part they really like is shaded a good portion of the day on the south by soft maple and cottonwood in the fenceline. Sure is lots of deer poop to step in.  :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)